Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Grimlorn

Arcane
Any good melee Barbarian (aggressive and powerful) type classes? I may end up getting this when it comes out.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Any good melee Barbarian (aggressive and powerful) type classes? I may end up getting this when it comes out.

There's a vocation (not really classes, as in, you can change them at certain places, but they still determine which weapons and skills you can use) one called Warrior which is all about two-handed weapons and hard blows, so yeah.

That's some low level Warrior gameplay. Didn't really watch all of it but seems accurate.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Any word on how they'll handle character profiles? The one character file per account nonsense is hardly going to work on bloody Steam.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
warrior sadly is the worst class in the game. you only get three skills, and all of the good ones take ages to charge. lower levels, were you still can fuck shit up without charging your attacks or hulking out on steroids, are pretty fun though.

Gentle Player

Arcane
what are some of the more fun ones then?

Mystic Knight, I would say. Casting Great Cannon orbs and whacking them with Full-Moon Slash is terrific fun. He can also perform well in direct melee with Abyssal Anguish, great for striking at Drake hearts. The most versatile class I think.

Mozg

Arcane
The hitstop is weird, how does that get handled in coop? Does the game stop for the other players?

Hitstop as in the game completely pauses for a few moments during hits.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The hitstop is weird, how does that get handled in coop? Does the game stop for the other players?

Hitstop as in the game completely pauses for a few moments during hits.
There is no coop in DD. Or are you talking about DD online?

Mozg

Arcane
Didn't know it didn't have coop. Thought it did for some reason

Is there any kind of pvp or anything? Besides some arena pvp where it's just two people fighting. The point of the question is asking how it handles it if one player is doing something that generates hitstop and the other is off doing something else

If anyone is action game savvy and likes DD I'd like to know the ramifications of DD hitstop in general, not just for hypothetical pvp/whatever. This is the kind of absurdly connoisseurish question I expect Edward_R_Murrow to produce a multiparagraph answer for

Ninjerk

Arcane
You cannot play with another person that I'm aware of in any fashion. You can share pawns.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Didn't know it didn't have coop. Thought it did for some reason

Is there any kind of pvp or anything? Besides some arena pvp where it's just two people fighting. The point of the question is asking how it handles it if one player is doing something that generates hitstop and the other is off doing something else

If anyone is action game savvy and likes DD I'd like to know the ramifications of DD hitstop in general, not just for hypothetical pvp/whatever. This is the kind of absurdly connoisseurish question I expect Edward_R_Murrow to produce a multiparagraph answer for
The online component consists of hiring another player's pawns - AI controlled party members.

Perkel

Arcane
DD has one of the best characters creators in genre. I wonder how many people will spend hours on that feature alone.
You can make literally 15 year old kid or 60 years old grampa

DD on PC has 4k/144hz support + better textures:

ss_a043fb65dbb6446d452bf5d759900ef59fa943f5.jpg

ss_b77be59140fb2d082366212e8fef8ee8a453129f.jpg

ss_765cdba1cc2e3846094b448e325578a2c766fcb0.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's a shame that like most games with character editors, you'll have most of your character hidden under a cloak and headgear after 10 minutes into the game. Then again, not like anything is really stopping you from running around nekkid, armour isn't THAT important if you can avoid being hit.

It's also neat that character size has an affect on in game stats.

Perkel

Arcane
It's a shame that like most games with character editors, you'll have most of your character hidden under a cloak and headgear after 10 minutes into the game. Then again, not like anything is really stopping you from running around nekkid, armour isn't THAT important if you can avoid being hit.

It's also neat that character size has an affect on in game stats.

Either way you will see it. Most interesting part of that system is your build. I mean you can make 150cm kid or 2,5m Minsc or Fat wizard
Though i don't know if this was upgraded for Dark Arisen expansion. I know there was shit load of DLC to base game and that DLC will be in PC version for free.
They even had berserk manga gear from swords to armors.

Either way i hope this will be their Valkyria Chronicles and it will sell something like 500k+ validating making finally Dragons Dogma 2 instead of that online garbage.

Amn Nom

Learned
The game looks amazing at 60 FPS. They really need to start the PR machine for this so I can shill it some more.

Superuser

Educated
I played the demo of it and saw a friend play it. I really liked it, especially how you can grab onto a FLYING MONSTER WITH WINGS and it will actually fly you around the map while you stab it to kingdom come.

That said, I have two issues with it.
  1. The melee class was extremely frustrating to play. Like Monster Hunter, the enemies take a ridiculous amount of hits. Unfortunately the combat isn't quite as tight as MH. They shouldn't be such damage sponges because the big lion thing should have looked like minced meat with the number of times I slashed at it.
  2. This is hearsay but apparently it has some of the worst padding in all games. It's open world and doesn't have fast travel. Everything inbetween bosses is boring as hell, and it should really be a boss rush instead of an endless walk to your next objective for 10 minutes of fun gameplay.
  3. I also distinctly recall how your companions would constantly shout nonsense at you. Is there a way to turn it off? It got on my tits really fast.
With those caveats in mind, is it still worth it? I'm rather more of an action gamer than RPG so that part is up my alley, but are there lots of boring tasks inbetween? Do bosses drag on for too long?

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
It has fast travel. It's not the magical you can go anywhere at any time crap of Bethesda dung. You use Ferrystones and Portcrystals you can put down wherever you like(and a few set teleportation spots).

The only boss that has any real HP bloat(~3 billion HP, but players all fight the same health pool) is a certain end-game dragon.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
1. This boils down to the stats and knowledge of weaknesses mostly. If you're overly prepared fights can be over in a matter of seconds. If you're out of your depth but skilled at evading, you can chip away at foes out of your league for a very very long time.

2. There is fast travel, you just don't start with it. That said, there are some parts I found rather boring (long walks to new locations) but if you really hate it that much, just go straight into Bitterblack Isle and ignore the rest of the game. Doable, albeit rather difficult to start. A lot of the quests and open world are there for people who want to sperg out collecting all 99 widgets or finding every last bit of jew gold in an area. Not my bag either; I ignored most of the quests and just beelined between bosses.

3. Several. You can play without them (there's a skill that gives you some significant stat bonuses for doing this) you can also alter the stat on your own that determines their talkyness. You could also just turn the voice volume down to fuck all. For hired pawns it's a crapshoot how much they'll talk, but if you find a quiet one you can keep using them for quite a while until they get severely outdated.

Martius

Liturgist
From what I heard fast travel was somewhat balanced or made easier in Dark Arisen. Hopefully it will be same on pc, just on console it was based on having save from base game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom