Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Martius

Liturgist
I think there was some talk about "pc exclusive features". That would be good fit but who knows what porting team will think of. For DMC4 that was turbo mode and difficulty setting based on horde of enemies.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
God a game like this or MH with mods would be so much god damned fun. I want to take on a 30 story tall cyclops surrounded by a swarm of harpies. Or perhaps a giant harpy with a swarm of tiny cyclops. Or a hydra where all the different heads are each spellcasters with different spells.

/pipedream

Perkel

Arcane
God a game like this or MH with mods would be so much god damned fun. I want to take on a 30 story tall cyclops surrounded by a swarm of harpies. Or perhaps a giant harpy with a swarm of tiny cyclops. Or a hydra where all the different heads are each spellcasters with different spells.

/pipedream

MH is clearly trying to do something similar as clinging to monsters in DD. MH4U introduced mechanic where you can topple monster and then mount it and stab it like in DD. Though i don't like execution of it as it plays more like minigame than proper tactic like in DD or Shadow of Collosus.

Also i wouldn't rule out MH for PC. Capcom is clearly going multiplatform as after MH4U they finally get it that you don't need local multi to play properly MH game.

They were opposing on going multiplatform with mh because they didn't want to split fanbase so in case of local multi everybody could play together.

There were rumors also on MH for PS4. We don't know anything about it but if it won't be funded by Sony (like in SF case) then there is huge chance of it coming to PC

Martius

Liturgist
To be fair there MH is already on pc, at least two mmo spinoff. Too bad these are not avalible anywhere beyond Japan and China without some extra work.

Perkel

Arcane
To be fair there MH is already on pc, at least two mmo spinoff. Too bad these are not avalible anywhere beyond Japan and China without some extra work.

Calling them MH is a bit of stretch. They are done by Tencet and yes they have assets from MH but other than that they play nothing like MH. They are basically worst kind of P2W games with grinding so broken that you need to spend money to progress. Even then basic gameplay is basically more comparable to mmo than MH.
Even new one done on Cryengine is garbage according to ton of people.

Also there is 0% chance tencet will release them outside of China.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Monster Hunter with proper controls again AND modding AND decent online functionality would also be pure bliss.

Stop filling my head with dreams guise.
:negative:

Perkel

Arcane
Monster Hunter with proper controls again AND modding AND decent online functionality would also be pure bliss.

Stop filling my head with dreams guise.
:negative:

Basically MH4U on N3DS i currently have.
The added C stick for camera so no claws anymore + autocentre on moster on lower screen touchpad.
Online works completely fine. In under a minute you can set up game and play.

or

MHFU or MH3rd on PC via PPSSPP. You can properly map camera to right stick (or anything you want) and online works really well via Evolve client.

Though i don't see what people could mod. Game is properly balanced and always hard.

Damned Registrations

I mostly just want more crazy scenarios, that wouldn't make any sense in the setting. Giant monsters, alternate versions with special powers that make no sense (Khezu that fires gravios beams or kut-ku that calls lightning bolts like kirin) just for fun.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Is it fun to play an archer/ranger type?
The mystic/magic archer was pretty OP IIRC. I don't remember finding the Ranger gameplay very thrilling, but I didn't play the game nearly as long as I liked.

Delterius

Arcane
I found that archers lacked the weight of high level spellcasting (Sorcerer) and the thrill of melee combat. When you are at melee you need to pay attention to a lot of things, such as opportunities to block as Fighter, to charge attack someone as a Warrior and the enemy attack patterns. At range, magic or not, you end up looking for a safe spot to strike at your enemies and then that's that. Except that as a Sorcerer, lenghty and satisfying casting times make up for that.

That said, only the Ranger is specialized at ranged combat. Both the Assassin and the Strider can wear bows but still pack a punch with melee. Also, they are the best at climbing enemies and attacking weakspots.

Perkel

Arcane
Arcane arches is fun to play. It's flare arrow ability to light up surroundings in night is just awesome.

Damned Registrations

I've gone through the game as a strider/magic archer and a sorceror now, I think I'm going to try ranger this time around. While it's true they don't have the kind of bullshit power of sorcerors, they can do some impressive damage throughout the game, by targetting weak points (sorcerors are shit for that) and using special arrows.

Though from what I understand, rangers are basically designed to be OP as fuck pawns if trained properly, sniper-botting enemies right in the eyes every time.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Magick Archer is like getting your dick sucked by your hot sister. You know it's wrong (because of homing attacks) but you've never had it so good before.

Ranger is pretty vanilla but still good and fun if that's your jam.

Siveon

Bot
The added C stick for camera so no claws anymore + autocentre on moster on lower screen touchpad.

or

MHFU or MH3rd on PC via PPSSPP. You can properly map camera to right stick (or anything you want) and online works really well via Evolve client.

Though i don't see what people could mod. Game is properly balanced and always hard.

Eh, I've played the PSP games to death on my Vita. The camera works alright but it's still meant for a PSP which means it is still a bit awkward. The N3DS's c stick is kind of crap for me, but the auto center does work fine. I'd just prefer it if the game was made with something other than a gimped handheld in mind. Less loading would be nice, too.

Haven't used the Evolve client, but I'd prefer lobby lists with ping numbers and the like. Which I'm pretty sure MH4 doesn't have.

OT: I never cared for being a Ranger, but that's only because I didn't care for hanging around in the sidelines. Mystic Knight ftw.

Perkel

Arcane

or

Eh, I've played the PSP games to death on my Vita. The camera works alright but it's still meant for a PSP which means it is still a bit awkward. The N3DS's c stick is kind of crap for me, but the auto center does work fine. I'd just prefer it if the game was made with something other than a gimped handheld in mind. Less loading would be nice, too.

Haven't used the Evolve client, but I'd prefer lobby lists with ping numbers and the like. Which I'm pretty sure MH4 doesn't have.

OT: I never cared for being a Ranger, but that's only because I didn't care for hanging around in the sidelines. Mystic Knight ftw.

Less loadings ? i mean aside from short loading on start of mission and after it there isn't almost any loading. Maybe you mean you played it on original 3ds not on n3ds. N3ds have fast loadings. I had original 3DS and sure loadings there were a bit long.

MH4 doesn't have ping list but so far i played only like two three games where someone lagged. So far MH4U online is almost lagless. I think they do take ping into account when they matchmake players.

Evolve client does have build in ping check. I played it few months ago and usually it was something like 50-80ms (my default net ping is 20-30) with people from finland or germany (poland here)

Villagkouras

Arcane
I've only played this a little in my Xbox 360 and I found it very interesting but superhard, much harder than Dark Souls. My Xbox died soon and I didn't have the chance to go further, but surely I will now.

Question: Is it a skill game or a level/gear game? What matters most?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just learned that this game is coming to PC, I ignored it before as a console exclusive.

Should I care? Should I want this game? It looks like the last few pages have some people I respect talking about how good it is, so I'm interested. Sell me.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Just learned that this game is coming to PC, I ignored it before as a console exclusive.

Should I care? Should I want this game? It looks like the last few pages have some people I respect talking about how good it is, so I'm interested. Sell me.
It's good. Buy it.

Amn Nom

Learned

This should be enough convincing. If you want to melee, you can pretty much climb and ride on any of the large bosses. Did I mention you could set yourself on fire, jump onto a Griffon, set its wings on fire, and force it to the ground?

Damned Registrations

I've only played this a little in my Xbox 360 and I found it very interesting but superhard, much harder than Dark Souls. My Xbox died soon and I didn't have the chance to go further, but surely I will now.

Well, I suppose stats matter most, because enough of a gap can make things either nigh impossible or completely trivial. However, the vast majority of things will be in the range where both you and the monster can deal significant damage to eachother, so skill will be important unless you really min/max and grind like hell. Strategy and preparation are significant factors as well- properly raised/designed pawns and characters are far far more effective than haphazard ones, and the game has a lot of consumables that can make things much easier, if you spend the time to acquire them.

Avellion

Erudite

In the low levels, gear and stats take an emphasis. At higher levels, when diminishing returns kick in and the player does enough damage to do reliable damage to anything (physical/magick defense stat subtracts damage a character recieves), I would say that skill takes an emphasis, and what skills the player brings with him.

Bow users will prorobly be a bit more interesting in a 60FPS+mouse control environment.

I think the biggest detriment to their playstyle is how unbalanced their skills are. 5 fold/10 flurry arrow is far too strong, and the other skills are nowhere near as strong to even compete with the massive damage potential of that skill. Being able to aim with hte mouse should help though.

btbgfel

Scholar
Bow users will prorobly be a bit more interesting in a 60FPS+mouse control environment.
Does pc port support keyboard+mouse control or keyboard only?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom