Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Delterius

Arcane
- the combat is a bit strange, I like it but the lack of a dodge or roll button is really grating, I suspect there are abilities later on to help with that but at the start it's really frustrating watching attacks go through a slow wind up and being completely unable to move out of the way, the whole thing is much more about insider monster knowledge and positioning over reflexes (at least in the early stages)
Here's a tip. There are indeed many mobility abilities, but simply walking in a tiny circle can avoid lots of monster attack. Pretend its a soccer match and you are dribbling someone.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I really hope the first mod/program made for this is some kind of save manager to easily switch them. Feels so archaic that there's no option to have different save files and characters in a motherfucking RPG.

Also a way to skip the tutorial and get directly to character creation, but that's a minor sin compared to being unable to have different characters.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This 6 years later port is what games should be on release. the base game + dlc = a lot of content for the price of 20 $

PirateScum

Augur
- the save system is really really bad and fucking annoying, I made the mistake of re-loading to a previous 'safe point' instead of the nearest 'checkpoint' as I though I could skip some backtracking, turns out my last 'safe point' was straight after making my first pawn...... so I lost around 6 hours of gameplay, doesn't help that you can only have one char either

Annoying indeed, there are hard saves (checkpoints) when you sleep in an inn for example and normal saves (you can save manually too, on controller you press select while in map etc. menu).
If you load from last checkpoint and for whatever reason it's been made many hours ago, you can always 'quit game without saving', then load game again (saved me 2h yesterday).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The system is really fucked up, not only does is it fucked up and counter intuitive for new players, but it's also highly abusable for savescumming shit if you know how it works. I recommend just treating the game like dark souls and just use the checkpoint saves.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
- the save system is really really bad and fucking annoying, I made the mistake of re-loading to a previous 'safe point' instead of the nearest 'checkpoint' as I though I could skip some backtracking, turns out my last 'safe point' was straight after making my first pawn...... so I lost around 6 hours of gameplay, doesn't help that you can only have one char either
Such are perils of a pirate.

vean

Scholar
I got to my first real boss fight I guess. Dude has 10 health bars and we were 1/10 down one after 5 minutes. Suddenly I remembered that someone here said that the game had 30min boss fights.

Quit & uninstalled.

Damned Registrations

30 minutes sounds like an exaggeration to me. If something is taking that long to kill, it's probably doing massive damage to you as well, so staying alive for 30 minutes would be nigh impossible unless you were burning through consumables like crazy or abused the AI by hiding somewhere it couldn't reach you.

Either way, it sounds like you wandered off the beaten path and found something you weren't ready for. DD scales to your level, but not much. Better go back to Oblivion.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I got to my first real boss fight I guess. Dude has 10 health bars and we were 1/10 down one after 5 minutes. Suddenly I remembered that someone here said that the game had 30min boss fights.

Quit & uninstalled.
If you are talking about the hydra then that's supposed to be a post game boss that's there for you to hit for a couple of minutes until a head falls off. When you face him again he takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how prepared you are. Also only a few bosses take that long but they are either the main dragon fight, which is very set piece heavy, an optional fight in post you might not even find or some stuff in BBI I can't comment on since I still haven't gotten too far in the expansion.

vean

Scholar
Post-game boss? It appeared after I rested in the outpost where you find the first pawn stone.

Damned Registrations

Wait, this retard fought the hydra without attacking the head or neck for 5 minutes and then ragequit? :lol:

That is so stupid I literally couldn't have imagined it.

vean

Scholar
No I did attack the head with my magic missile, but it didn't do shit.

The combat is kind of chaotic. It's like dork souls with three other AIs and they're all screaming at you all the time.

Anyway I was mistaken I didn't uninstall it, I just deleted the iso, so maybe I'll try again.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The combat is kind of chaotic. It's like dork souls with three other AIs and they're all screaming at you all the time.

Anyway I was mistaken I didn't uninstall it, I just deleted the iso, so maybe I'll try again.
'sup drog

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Post-game boss? It appeared after I rested in the outpost where you find the first pawn stone.
Yeah it's just a tease for later. I've always fought it with melee characters but aim for one of its head with fire spells and have pawns that climb. Once a head falls, maybe half a health bar, the fight is over.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Such are perils of a pirate.
Sadly no, that's just the way the game is.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
- the pawn talking/commenting thing is literally the worst such system I have ever seen, it completely ruins the mood and atmosphere
If we're lucky, someone will create a mod that allows for customization of pawn comments. Or at least a mod that keeps track of them and limits repetition of inane remarks.

The battle against the hydra in the Encampment should end automatically after a certain, not very long amount of time regardless of what you do. It's meant as a taste of things to come rather than a proper battle, similar to the first Cyclops you fight outside the encampment, which has only a small amount of health remaining. A mage is limited in effectiveness against a hydra relative to a fighter or strider, but when you fight the hydra for real later in the game you'll do far more damage as a sorcerer (or any other vocation that isn't mage).

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
You actually don't kill this boss either, the minute you cut off a SINGLE head, it ends.

That fight is actually timed too. After a certain amount of time, Mercedes just bails you out. No way this lasted 30 minutes.

Unless they changed it in DA - back when I very first started DD the Original, that Hydra successfully ate my pawn, and I spent the rest of the fight running around like a spaz. Mercedes eventually ended it.

To actually 3 STAR your pawn's knowledge of Arch-Hydras, you have to actually throw an explosive into an open Hydra mouth. True Story.

Moink

Cipher
Fairly sure at one point not-casca throws a barrel at it that you can hit with ranged attacks.

I'm also fairly sure this game was made by someone with a vore fetish

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am pretty sure that once modders start going to town on this game it will become even better, its main isssues with the lack of multiple saves, dumbass pawns and some issues with the interface, plus some smallish but valid issues like blury text on cutscenes and still some iffy textures

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm still holding out for a full party creation mod. That would ruin the last bit of multiplayer-ishness, besides that Dragon thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom