Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm still holding out for a full party creation mod. That would ruin the last bit of multiplayer-ishness, besides that Dragon thing.

I just want to be able to make my Primary Pawn a Hybrid Class...

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That might actually be a taller order, since there's a good chance the AI wouldn't know what to do with those classes and the modder would have to write that all up himself.

Speculation, though, I will admit.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
On my 360 version of the game, my Pawn had 3 star-ed everything - areas, monsters and quests.

I don't think she was stupid at all - Seriously, she was pretty awesome.

They DO start off dumb, and they will NEVER be as good as a player of course.

Back to my original spoilered example. IF you do that and teach your pawn that, and then give them explosives, they will also do that.

I'm pretty sure that's why Capcom added in monsters that can just "Roar" and kill pawns - because well made Pawns are amazing.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm pretty sure that's why Capcom added in monsters that can just "Roar" and kill pawns - because well made Pawns are amazing.
Anyone who's beaten the game knows the real reason those monsters can do that:

They're just venting their pent up rage at those fuckers for having to listen to "Wolves hunt in packs!" while they were alive.

duanth123

Arcane
I guess but I would love to at least be able to see more than 10 items at a time, maybe the ability to mouse scroll through the inventory instead if having to use keyboard etc. It's not like you have to use a mod if it comes out.

He's being facetious.

The game's UI was clearly built for consoles. It remains to be seen whether a modder could achieve the equivalent of a "SkyUI" for DD, which is sorta what you're describing.

Although I don't know why anyone would want to play with M&K (assuming they have a choice.) Not much in the game actually requires the sort of precision you'd get out of a M&K set up. 'Dat rumble also.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
it works on my toaster if I play it play it windowed with all settings low on 800x600 and capped at 30fps
It still plays smoother than the console version

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
- the combat is a bit strange, I like it but the lack of a dodge or roll button is really grating, I suspect there are abilities later on to help with that but at the start it's really frustrating watching attacks go through a slow wind up and being completely unable to move out of the way, the whole thing is much more about insider monster knowledge and positioning over reflexes (at least in the early stages)
Here's a tip. There are indeed many mobility abilities, but simply walking in a tiny circle can avoid lots of monster attack. Pretend its a soccer match and you are dribbling someone.
By the way, I wanted to comment that after playing Witchery stuff, Risen, etc. I'm really glad to hear there's no roll button in DD.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks solid, all things considered. Slap a decent injector config on there for better lighting and you're good.

Does it have any mod support?

GrainWetski

Arcane
It already has pretty good lightning. Especially noticeable when you're running around in a pitch black cave with your lantern.

It's MT Frameworks so should be fairly moddable. Better textures and such should be doable.

By the way, I wanted to comment that after playing Witchery stuff, Risen, etc. I'm really glad to hear there's no roll button in DD.

It's pretty weird how so many people want every action game to just be a rollfest.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah speaking of gamey systems having Geralt running around in full armor and two bigass swords while dodging like a squirel is the defintion of gamey to me. The could have learned sonething from this game with way you can have a blocking system that has fun believable tactics for breaking an opponets guard or countering his attacks

Mozg

Arcane
That looks pretty playable with pure m+k - like more playable in fact. Should be a lot of fun to play a competent third person action game that isn't designed to be played 90% of the time locked-on. Not being built around lockon makes rolls (which are mostly just about having some invincibility frames on a button) much less of a necessary kludge.

duanth123

Arcane
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/14/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-pc-review/
Speaking as the world’s worst Dark Souls player, the mere idea of playing Dragon’s Dogma gave me a deep case of The Fear. Especially for a review. “Well, the first boss is quite impressive,” I could imagine myself typing in shame. “I’m sure whatever he’s guarding is probably pretty neat too. Um. Metacritic says people liked it!”
The larger enemies also tend to take forever due to needing the HP to endure four characters beating on them simultaneously, with all the weapon effects and movement making the battles irritating rather than epic. A fight with a golem really wore me down, not for being difficult, but for his last voonerable spot (a subtle giant pink crystal) being in his clenched fist and so almost impossible to actually land a hit on.

Dragon’s Dogma’s big flaw is that in trying to draw from so many different inspirations, it can’t help but fall short of them. Even if we ignore The Witcher 3 out of deference to its release date, it’s far more a Risen than a Skyrim, it doesn’t commit enough to really be Shadow of the Colossus in anything more than a ‘the climbing mechanic is a bit Shadow of the Colossus’, its monster hunting is no Monster Hunter, it doesn’t have the raw focus and deep sublety of Dark Souls, and what little plot it offers after the intro comes so late as for the set-up to be forgotten. It involved a dragon and… a dog’s mother? Something like that. Oh, hey, killed enough ogres to unlock a reward!

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Yeah speaking of gamey systems having Geralt running around in full armor and two bigass swords while dodging like a squirel is the defintion of gamey to me. The could have learned sonething from this game with way you can have a blocking system that has fun believable tactics for breaking an opponets guard or countering his attacks
The issue isn't about gameyness, I mean in DD you wield swords the 2 times the size of your body, launch people 10 feet into the air with your attacks and teleport/slide around in combat. I can understand not enjoying rolling but don't pretend its about 'realism'.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shit, somebody spoke too soon.

latest

Martius

Liturgist
Its dagger skill so potentially also assassins, ranger and magic archer. Of course it will also take up one of your slot for skills. Its not like Witcher where dodge is one of Geralt basic moves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom