Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder. What classes are people on this thread trying out? Which of you are first timers?
Still waiting for release. I kind of liked the idea of being an archer so I could hang back and watch my pawns work because I enjoy the feeling of being a "pet master". But what I hear about climbing up on monsters and being grabbed and carried away and so forth makes me want to go ahead and play a knock 'em sock 'em melee fighter instead. Oh and I'm not going to metagame by making my guy 8 feet tall and un-pick-up-able with maximum reach, he's just going to be a normal guy, maybe a little shorter than average actually because sometimes that's just who the chosen one is.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks for the advice, yeah I am leaning to be a mystic knight paladin kind of build where I buff my allies and then get into the thick of with a shield and sword....but maybe I will go Sorcerer instead
So many options

Delterius

Arcane
I wonder. What classes are people on this thread trying out? Which of you are first timers?
Still waiting for release. I kind of liked the idea of being an archer so I could hang back and watch my pawns work because I enjoy the feeling of being a "pet master". But what I hear about climbing up on monsters and being grabbed and carried away and so forth makes me want to go ahead and play a knock 'em sock 'em melee fighter instead. Oh and I'm not going to metagame by making my guy 8 feet tall and un-pick-up-able with maximum reach, he's just going to be a normal guy, maybe a little shorter than average actually because sometimes that's just who the chosen one is.
Actually, I think that being too large wouldn't make things easier in terms of being picked by Ogres and whatnot. In exchange for larger reach and being heavier (thus able to bring fliers down) your Hitbox also becomes larger.

Plus, dagger wielders are the premier climbers and they don't get to enjoy all that reach. Though Fighters, Warriors and Mystic Knights often don't even need to climb the monster.

If you like the idea of being an archer as well as climbing on Monsters, give the Mystic Archer and the Assassin a good look. They do get 3 Dagger abilities, similar to other archer classes.

Ivan

Arcane
As DMC3 is one of my favorite games ever and this was their follow up. I'm imagining a combo of DMC3+Shadow of the Colossus. Eagerly fapping.

How deep is the combat compared to a hack-n-slash (DMC, Revegeance, Bayonetta)? Combos? In other words, how twitchy is it?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Does it get hard later? I only got to the pawn stone where you can get two more followers. I guess it's still the tutorial. But the DS tutorial wasn't this easy.

In normal mode, I found the game to be pleasantly challenging. Classes have obvious strengths and weaknesses.

Hard difficulty is quite challenging, and I would not recommend it for the first play, as there are unusual mechanics to become familiar with. That said, if you are worried the game will be too easy, by all means, play on Hard.

I think that once you reach what is referred to as "Post Game" (not the same thing as New Game+) you might be in for a rough time.

Hellhounds man. Gangs of Hellhounds dragging you and your pawns off to be devoured.

Perkel

Arcane

You should post it:

original
H8KFNYW.jpg

enb (AO + good dof + reshade)
cldgn47.jpg

Jv4VlQW.jpg

hAEwctL.jpg

tMwlhGo.jpg

original:
9qU1Pzv.jpg

enb (you can see clearly AO on pillar)
02lyrku.jpg

overall good changes. After move to PBR in most of new games you can really see just how flat lighting is in older games.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think i will go mage and into mystic knight. I toyed around with it a long time ago and it was amazing so now i want a dedicated Mystic Knight build.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does anyone know if Capcom bothered to fix the Dark Arisen bug in which the Mage augment "Inflection" doubles damage received while casting a spell rather than halving it?

On PS3 with DD : DA, I played through the game three times, starting afresh each time (and saving a copy of each character just before finishing the game).
1. Fighter -> Warrior -> Mystic Knight
2. Mage -> Sorcerer
3. Strider -> Assassin -> Magick Archer (and back to Assassin)
The only vocation I haven't tried is Ranger.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
What is ENB, precious?
A graphical mod (.dll injector IIRC) you can use in most games nowadays, changing things from depth of field to color balance and light configurations.

Have you never played Skyrim or New Vegas with it? You can get some amazing visuals:

55076-2-1393106038.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Holy moly.

But do you have to be an artist to tune all of this to get these kind of results, or does it just work out of the box, so to speak?

Naraya

Arcane
What is ENB, precious?
A graphical mod (.dll injector IIRC) you can use in most games nowadays, changing things from depth of field to color balance and light configurations.

Have you never played Skyrim or New Vegas with it? You can get some amazing visuals:

55076-2-1393106038.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Holy moly.

But do you have to be an artist to tune all of this to get these kind of results, or does it just work out of the box, so to speak?

I suggest you to try http://reshade.me, it has an user friendly UI and a community that's actually friendly.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
What is ENB, precious?

55076-2-1393106038.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Holy moly.

some ENBs can be a pain in the ass.

most are just drag and drop

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As DMC3 is one of my favorite games ever and this was their follow up. I'm imagining a combo of DMC3+Shadow of the Colossus. Eagerly fapping.

How deep is the combat compared to a hack-n-slash (DMC, Revegeance, Bayonetta)? Combos? In other words, how twitchy is it?
I wouldn't go that far. There's no combos in the traditional sense, as there's only one dedicated attack button. With everything else being focused on skills, items, changing weapons, etc. It reminds me a bit of Streets of Rage, myself, with two warrior classes having another attack combo by slashing in a slower beat. Each class plays very different from each other as well. There's a lot of things to consider in combat that previous posts explained better than I ever could.

So on a twitchyness scale... I'd say a few notches less than DMC, but still faster than the lesser contemporaries like God of War. I think a fast paced Monster Hunter + a smidge of SotC is a better way to compare it.

---

As for classes, I always seem to go as a Warrior -> Magic Knight, so I may go with an Assassin or Magic Archer. My pawn might just be a simple Warrior with a decent inclination. Amazon, though. Because Dragon's Crown.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'd say twitchiness depends a lot on what class you play. The ones with shields have very powerful parry mechanics that make twitch skills pay off big time, OTOH, sorceror depends pretty much entirely on more long term tactical positioning and timing. You need to find a spot where enemies won't fuck you up for a good 5-10 seconds to get off a really nice spell, position the spell for the best effect, etc. Being off by 1 or 2 seconds won't matter much generally speaking, if you timed it appropriately regarding distance and behaviour.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The crappy DoF that all ENB authors love makes comparing screenshots really hard. Proper lighting settings will probably make a difference since the game is a last gen console title.

Perkel

Arcane
What is ENB, precious?

Here is how normally GTAIV looks like:

Here is how it looks like with ENB and couple of texture mods:

It is .dll package you simply copy paste to your root folder of game usually. Some ENB profiles have more advanced config but it doesn't take long or it is complicated. Only thing really to watch out is that most of ENB hate AA and AF in games options (because they come with superior version in them) and crash due to that. Also other stuff like D3Doverider is also no go usually (but again enb usually comes with triple buffering enabled and FPS/vsync controll)

as for Fallout New vegas:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Played this for a while now on PC and I have some brief comments/questions.

- the run and sprint speed is fine on M&K (in fact the whole thing works fine on M&K, much better than many many ports) the problem is the walk speed, of course it could have been that slow on controllers too, I don't know but it seems like the walk speed was set to absolute minimum and there is no way (at least not in the ini file) to increase the walk speed (I suspect on a controller you could hold the stick down a bit further to increase said speed

- the pawn talking/commenting thing is literally the worst such system I have ever seen, it completely ruins the mood and atmosphere

- the combat is a bit strange, I like it but the lack of a dodge or roll button is really grating, I suspect there are abilities later on to help with that but at the start it's really frustrating watching attacks go through a slow wind up and being completely unable to move out of the way, the whole thing is much more about insider monster knowledge and positioning over reflexes (at least in the early stages)

- there is a shit tonne of loot, like fallout 4 levels so if you have ocd, like me, when it comes to loot, prepare to suffer picking up hundreds of meaningless objects

- the save system is really really bad and fucking annoying, I made the mistake of re-loading to a previous 'safe point' instead of the nearest 'checkpoint' as I though I could skip some backtracking, turns out my last 'safe point' was straight after making my first pawn...... so I lost around 6 hours of gameplay, doesn't help that you can only have one char either

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom