Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Syril, Dec 2, 2011.

1. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/14/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-pc-review/

^ Top  
  2. Caconym Savant

Caconym
    Shoulda stopped reading right there.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Dreaad Arcane

Dreaad
    Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
    The issue isn't about gameyness, I mean in DD you wield swords the 2 times the size of your body, launch people 10 feet into the air with your attacks and teleport/slide around in combat. I can understand not enjoying rolling but don't pretend its about 'realism'.

^ Top  
  4. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Shit, somebody spoke too soon.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    rolling to avoid damage, cancer of our times.

^ Top  
  6. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    I heard that rolling is a skill only Striders get, though.

^ Top  
  7. Martius Liturgist

Martius
    Its dagger skill so potentially also assassins, ranger and magic archer. Of course it will also take up one of your slot for skills. Its not like Witcher where dodge is one of Geralt basic moves.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. praetor Arcane

praetor
    that is one of the most retarded reviews i've ever read. but hey, it's RPS, so it's par for the course

"i'm the world's worst flight sim player, so now i'm gonna review Falcon 4.0: it's hard, too many buttons, take off takes ages because you have to click so much..."

even for their standards it's monumentally idiotic

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    The Witcher games have shit combat, there's no reason to be talking about them in comparison to dragon's Dogma

^ Top  
  10. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    RPS took IGN's place as the one gaming site everyone, including the most retarded, should ignore a very long time ago.

Edit: Not counting Kotaku and Polygon as they only exist to push a political agenda and nothing else. RPS is only 95% SJW dumbfuckery compared to the 100% of the other two.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    It would be great if a sequel had drop in co op instead of pawns

^ Top  
  12. PirateScum Educated

PirateScum
    Basicly yes, only 'rogue' classes get a roll 'core skill', makes even more or less sense, since they can't wear the heavy stuff. But dodge roll doesn't take up a skill slot and neither does it cost stamina. You roll by using 'dagger skill button' + jump.

Mages can float through the air. :obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Gamma Learned

Gamma
    ^ Top  
  14. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hmm, for a second it looked like you have to spend a skill on rolling, which was good, but if you're using daggers it's free, which is bad. I guess if I graduate from Fighter to Assassin I will stick with swords so I don't have to feel like somersaulting every 2 seconds is expected.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    It's to compensate for the lack of a shield. If you've got neither rolling nor blocking as a defense, you're pretty much SOL at melee range.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Right. Shield it is.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/01/14/review-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-pc/187247/

^ Top  
  18. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    He says that like it's a bad thing :(

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  19. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    These games journalists wear their retardation like a badge of honor. In any other medium they would be laughed out of a job but fortunately for them most gamers are stupid so when RPS journos make cutesy self-deprecating comments about their incompetence, the average reader finds in it a reflected image. And in that moment an unearned validation worth many clicks. At first I thoughtRPS was a bad joke, but I realize now it is a sentient amalgation of the worst traits in gamers. Even gamespot has more self-respect

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  20. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Keep in mind Skyrim was their GOTY in 2011. The retard says "so many different inspirations" but the main influence in the entire game is simply good old D&D. Sure, it draws from different mythologies, but....that's D&D, and they picked the same sources here. I'd say 90% or more of Dragon's Dogma's monsters can be found in the old AD&D monster manuals.
    It is ironic, because TES is the actual weird mashup that falls short. It mixes LOTR and D&D (and more recently, ASOIAF), but it's basically a 12yo's idea of what that would be.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Martius Liturgist

Martius
    Thanks for correction! Giving each group of classes their own defence mechanism makes sense. Still I guess after playing Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter I guess something was done to avoid making it rollfest.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    ^ Top  
  22. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    I think I've narrowed it down to Assassin or Sorcerer. Bros, which one is more fun? It looks like maybe Assassin would be more fun from a twitchy perspective and Sorcerer would be more fun from a "I am level 100 and I can blow all you assholes up while half asleep." Assassin also looks like it would be harder? Confirm/deny?

^ Top  
  23. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    You pretty much have the right idea. Assassin is more fun in the 'Look at me, I'm an untouchable badass, parry and dodge ftw!' kind of way, while Sorceror is more of the 'And now I lay waste to my enemies from where they cannot even reach me! Muahahaha!' kind of vibe. Take your pick, then play through the game again as the other because it's that fun.

Or hell, just try them both out in one run. It's a lot easier to level up new classes once you've got badass weapons for them, so it doesn't take THAT long to try out another class.

^ Top  
  24. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Didn't this game release just a few months after Skyrim? In other words, much too late to take inspiration from it.

^ Top  
  25. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Yes, 6 months later. The quote from RPS is more about how DD is a "B-movie" sort of thing compared to the big releases they love, like Skyrim.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.