Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Mozg

Arcane
Gimme some direction toward fun. I've run around some in this large open area west of the starting town but everytime I take a step I'm like, I'm going to have to take that step in the opposite direction through another meat wall of 90 hobgoblins to get back.

The core seems awesome but I am getting open-worlditis where it's like everything I could do would be equivalent so why do I care. Risen/Gothic generally give you direction in open worlds by killing you when you are in the wrong place and by making it so there is zero respawning, so every area you fight in is an area that's clear at least for the rest of the chapter.

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also there was some shit in my storage, is that some folded-in p2w preorder bonus? How cheaty is the stuff?

There's an infinite fast travel stone in there. If I'm reading it right, haven't tried it out yet.

toroid

Arcane
Does the game's performance depend more on CPU or GPU?

I've got a six year old GPU (HD 5770) and a i7 3770k @ 4.4 GHz. Should I expect this to run well at mid/high settings? (Dark Souls runs flawlessly, for example)

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
should run. the minimum requirements ask for a 8800gt. i would guess mid to low settings, because the gpu really is pushing it.

sweeneezy

Novice
I'm really digging it so far. It has this great new school- old school mix, it really clicks. The moment I grabbed onto an ogre's head, stabbed him until he stumbled off a ledge and then rode him three stories down to his death was when I was officially on board.

deuxhero

Arcane
My only real problems with mouse+keyboard are monster climbing and menus (that menus are entirely because scroll wheel doesn't work in them. If it did they would be fine)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Gimme some direction toward fun. I've run around some in this large open area west of the starting town but everytime I take a step I'm like, I'm going to have to take that step in the opposite direction through another meat wall of 90 hobgoblins to get back.

The core seems awesome but I am getting open-worlditis where it's like everything I could do would be equivalent so why do I care. Risen/Gothic generally give you direction in open worlds by killing you when you are in the wrong place and by making it so there is zero respawning, so every area you fight in is an area that's clear at least for the rest of the chapter.
Go through the main story quests until you reach the main city at least, that's where the game starts to pick up and offer you worthwhile things to do. Also, you might not have noticed the quest boards in the inns or other safe areas; these have quests on them that you don't need to turn in to anyone, so they're always worth grabbing to complete at your leisure.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Has anyone tried the save game converter?

I just booted up my old character... I had over 8 million rift crystals.

You mean like from the Console version?? Because i would have a ton on my PS3 version because every seemed to pick op my Amazon Waifu.

Delterius

Arcane
I don't think ogre's heads are particularly vulnerable anyways. At least warriors can hurt the fucking things, Ranger isn't getting past it's defense to begin with.
I always thought their asses were the most vulnerable part.

Anyway if anyone has any trouble with Ogres they can be destroyed with the folliwing early to medium game abilities:

Sorcerer: Lassissitude.

MK: multiple trap sigils.

Ranger: gimmick arrows that cause torpor and explosions.

Mage: Comestion.

Warrior: nothing really worked but I killed it by sheer stubborness and charged strikes.

Ivan

Arcane
Playing on Hard and it's my first time. I'm enjoying the combat quite a lot, despite there not being a parry/dodge button. However, I'm getting pretty fed up with getting 1 shotted. Whether its the lizardmen or Cyclops, am I doing something wrong? Am I supposed to spend my money right away at the capital? Or is this jsut heer durr HARD MODE?

Mozg

Arcane
By contrast I started on normal and it is really "too easy", meaning there are lots of encounters that entail zero risk of killing me no matter how little attention I'm paying or how much I half-ass them. Like that hobgoblin area, I can pretty much just spam the Devil May Cry stinger skill at random with my warrior to get high damage instant knockdowns on them.

Ivan

Arcane
lucky, "staggering" enemies just doesn't seem to happen on Hard as often as you'd expect, and when it doesnt = insta death.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I don't think ogre's heads are particularly vulnerable anyways. At least warriors can hurt the fucking things, Ranger isn't getting past it's defense to begin with.

Anyway if anyone has any trouble with Ogres they can be destroyed with the folliwing early to medium game abilities:

Warrior: nothing really worked but I killed it by sheer stubborness and charged strikes.

I haven't played that long but I find cyclops's really easy with a warrior.

- you can throw oil at their leg and if you light it on fire with an exploding cask they fall over for like 30 seconds, which is enough time to bash their body or even break their helmet after hitting 50 times or whatever, it's not like weapons need repair (you can also throw oil on their arm if they are holding something, light their arm on fire and they drop it) the flame itself does a good 1/5 of a health bar
- if you have a pawn with electricity magic that seems to stun them really often
- you can also just grab their leg and hang on (they can't hurt you while you do this), they lift the leg you are hanging on to up in the air, your melee pawns just hit the other leg a little bit and they fall over for 30 seconds

The only time they seem to be dangerous is when they go berserk for a few seconds, you just walk away.

Chimera's are much more annoying, with all their spells and poison spray and that roar than knocks you back + they are just harder to predict sometimes. Once again though as a warrior, you can just jump on and the chimera seems to freak out after a while, jumps around doing nothing while your pawns hack away at it

GrainWetski

Arcane
Playing on Hard and it's my first time. I'm enjoying the combat quite a lot, despite there not being a parry/dodge button. However, I'm getting pretty fed up with getting 1 shotted. Whether its the lizardmen or Cyclops, am I doing something wrong? Am I supposed to spend my money right away at the capital? Or is this jsut heer durr HARD MODE?
It's like that for the first few hours then it becomes much easier than normal because of all the extra gold, discipline points and experience you get. I really don't recommend playing hard on your first character.

Hopefully someone will make a mod to keep the good changes like extra stagger/knockdown resistance, higher stamina costs etc.

My only real problems with mouse+keyboard are monster climbing and menus (that menus are entirely because scroll wheel doesn't work in them. If it did they would be fine)

Monster climbing is very cumbersome with gamepads and the menus aren't very good with gamepads, either, so the mouse+keyboard controls are definitely more than fine.

Delterius

Arcane

I haven't played that long but I find cyclops's really easy with a warrior.

- you can throw oil at their leg and if you light it on fire with an exploding cask they fall over for like 30 seconds, which is enough time to bash their body or even break their helmet after hitting 50 times or whatever, it's not like weapons need repair (you can also throw oil on their arm if they are holding something, light their arm on fire and they drop it) the flame itself does a good 1/5 of a health bar
- if you have a pawn with electricity magic that seems to stun them really often
- you can also just grab their leg and hang on (they can't hurt you while you do this), they lift the leg you are hanging on to up in the air, your melee pawns just hit the other leg a little bit and they fall over for 30 seconds

The only time they seem to be dangerous is when they go berserk for a few seconds, you just walk away.

Chimera's are much more annoying, with all their spells and poison spray and that roar than knocks you back + they are just harder to predict sometimes. Once again though as a warrior, you can just jump on and the chimera seems to freak out after a while, jumps around doing nothing while your pawns hack away at it
Indeed, but Ogres are a bit different. They are quicker, less stupid and overall more resistant to knockdown effects. For the most part you'll exploit the openings left by their attacks instead of bringing them down head on.

A user named cat

Without having tried the PC version yet, just wanted to say this game was pretty fantastic overall. It really deserves a proper Codex review, JRPG or not. A good RPG is a good RPG and this game is certainly leagues better than POE, W2 and various other bland KSers.

On a depressing note; I was digging up my old posts in this topic to remember what was discussed and saw all the posts by SuicideBunny. He had called for a sequel too, sad he'll never get the chance to see it :salute:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Halp codex, my game is filled with lolis.

55581E7CC200EDA9776102344227BE39510CEF25

So... many...

so... little...

I...

Reinhardt

Arcane
Great game, but i have a motion sickness if playing more than 15-20 min. Never happened to me before.:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom