Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Delterius

Arcane
Curatives can do the trick, especially since there's permanent HP loss over time. But its convenient to bring a mage for elemental blessings, healing and healing status effects if you yourself and your pawn can't bring too many things along.

Puukko

Arcane
I remember having two casters in my party at all times, one being an offensive caster and the other a healer/buffer. Either my character + a pawn or two pawns.

Grimlorn

Arcane
You pretty much have the right idea. Assassin is more fun in the 'Look at me, I'm an untouchable badass, parry and dodge ftw!' kind of way, while Sorceror is more of the 'And now I lay waste to my enemies from where they cannot even reach me! Muahahaha!' kind of vibe. Take your pick, then play through the game again as the other because it's that fun.

Or hell, just try them both out in one run. It's a lot easier to level up new classes once you've got badass weapons for them, so it doesn't take THAT long to try out another class.
What about Warrior and Mystic Knight?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
mystic knights are the hipsters of the battlefield. you can fuck shit up with more mage like shield spells like stone forest, or fuck shit up with your sword/mace and abyssal anguish.

warriors light jump attack all day every day, sometimes when you want o be fancy you can take magic steroids and oneshot things with arc of deliverance.

Delterius

Arcane
You pretty much have the right idea. Assassin is more fun in the 'Look at me, I'm an untouchable badass, parry and dodge ftw!' kind of way, while Sorceror is more of the 'And now I lay waste to my enemies from where they cannot even reach me! Muahahaha!' kind of vibe. Take your pick, then play through the game again as the other because it's that fun.

Or hell, just try them both out in one run. It's a lot easier to level up new classes once you've got badass weapons for them, so it doesn't take THAT long to try out another class.
What about Warrior and Mystic Knight?
Warriors are a melee version of Sorcerers, they are mostly about their stupendous reach and precision super powered attacks that take a long time to charge. Mystic Knights can do just about anything they want, charging their shields with magic that counters when the block is perfect, flying everywhere by magic wing kicks and creating things that when hurt hurl multiple shots at nearby enemies.

Fairfax

Arcane
120+FPS with maximum settings at 1080p. To think PoE had drops to 40 in the crowded areas...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
ROFL get wrecked scrubs!

I may have just gotten thrown to my death by a tentacle but that totally wasn't my fault, there's no way to escape that.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't think ogre's heads are particularly vulnerable anyways. At least warriors can hurt the fucking things, Ranger isn't getting past it's defense to begin with.

Fuck, I forgot how frustrating it is to battle big foes with Warrior.

Good luck landing hits on ogre's head.

You eventually get that pommel strike maneuver that can help... but yeah, Warriors can have a hard time.

Only helps for breaking the ogre's defensive stance.

I found two viable tactics so far:

1. climb onto back, wait for it to drop on it's back, then savage lash it';s head (hard as it gets up very fast)
2. run around while your mages deal with it.

Optimally, warrior should have double his DPS against big monsters.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Oh, and I'm downloading this game right now.

Shit, you'd think the fact that I beat this game, like, four times on the PS3 would have burnt me out on it, but I'm more excited about playing this through again than I've been about playing anything in the past three years (well, except for maybe Metal Gear Solid 5).

Martius

Liturgist
During another fight with stronger monster I managed to push him enough make him fall to his death. So far it plays great, keep steady 60 fps and looks pretty decent. After taking few new paws I just wonder why some people leave them without any weapon or skill at all.

Mozg

Arcane
This is totally fine with m+k, and I'm saying that as a person that thinks m+k dark souls is ridiculous.

...aside from maybe the monster climbing? I dunno if I'm doing it right because wasd has no apparent correlation to where you're going? I did manage to cut the hydra's head.

Also there was some shit in my storage, is that some folded-in p2w preorder bonus? How cheaty is the stuff?

PirateScum

Augur
Being too powerful has it's downsides too.

Killed the
griffin for mainquest
before it took flight to
Bluemoon Tower
So the quest is completed prematurely. Additional location and rewards are forfeit. :negative:

This is totally fine with m+k, and I'm saying that as a person that thinks m+k dark souls is ridiculous.

...aside from maybe the monster climbing? I dunno if I'm doing it right because wasd has no apparent correlation to where you're going? I did manage to cut the hydra's head.
Climbing's just as wonky with gamepad.

Also there was some shit in my storage, is that some folded-in p2w preorder bonus? How cheaty is the stuff?
Not OP but still a boost if used early, so it spoils the fun.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I think I've narrowed it down to Assassin or Sorcerer. Bros, which one is more fun? It looks like maybe Assassin would be more fun from a twitchy perspective and Sorcerer would be more fun from a "I am level 100 and I can blow all you assholes up while half asleep." Assassin also looks like it would be harder? Confirm/deny?
I had a lot of fun with my mage/sorcerer playthrough, but those vocations rely on staying away from enemies and finding safe locations from which to cast your spells, which is quite a bit different from every other vocation, and so might not be optimal for someone's first playthrough. The three hybrid vocations (assassin, mystic knight, and magick archer) are generally considered easier than other six. Assassin has access to some extremely powerful melee skills, though you need to gain ranks in the vocation first (but that's also true of the sorcerer's powerful offensive magic).

During another fight with stronger monster I managed to push him enough make him fall to his death.
If that's the ogre in the Everfall, tricking him into falling off the platform to his death is almost the standard way of defeating him.

Killed the
griffin for mainquest
before it took flight to
Bluemoon Tower
So the quest is completed prematurely. Additional location and rewards are forfeit. :negative:
Nah, in my first game I also killed it before it took flight, but it was still possible to travel to that location and explore (almost) all of it. You just miss out on some setpiece encounters. Also, you'll be directed to that same location later, anyway, for a different quest.

Last edited:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I don't think ogre's heads are particularly vulnerable anyways. At least warriors can hurt the fucking things, Ranger isn't getting past it's defense to begin with.

Killed the
griffin for mainquest
before it took flight to
Bluemoon Tower

No it's not. You can walk there and still grab the treasure.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guess I better stop reading the thread now for all the tactical spoilers. Dare to defy the dogma, gents.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom