Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fighter + Archer. Welcome to the club :D

Loved the Fighter finishers and dynamic, aggressive combat.

Enjoyed less how easy enemies ragdolled my char before late game and dwarven forged stuff.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
By the way what Vocation?
Who, me? Sticking with Fighter so far, with an Archer sidekick. I tried Warrior for an hour or two buuuut it's too hard to hit anything before the fight is over. Probably way better against big monsters, may go back to it.
The shoulder barge really helps as an opener/interrupt with Warrior. The only things I didn't enjoy fighting as one were Harpies and Wolves.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Who, me? Sticking with Fighter so far, with an Archer sidekick. I tried Warrior for an hour or two buuuut it's too hard to hit anything before the fight is over. Probably way better against big monsters, may go back to it.
Suggest that after you reach max rank as a Fighter, you return to Warrior anyway and continue until you reach max rank, followed by a third vocation (probably Mystic Spearhand), to provide some variety over a lengthy game. Especially since you can eventually unlock the Warfarer quasi-vocation that permits you to instantaneously switch between the other vocations.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Suggest that after you reach max rank as a Fighter, you return to Warrior anyway and continue until you reach max rank, followed by a third vocation (probably Mystic Spearhand), to provide some variety over a lengthy game. Especially since you can eventually unlock the Warfarer quasi-vocation that permits you to instantaneously switch between the other vocations.

Mystic Spearhand is teh gay. Play thief after maxing those out, or just ignore those and play thief. :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Mystic Spearhand is teh gay. Play thief after maxing those out, or just ignore those and play thief. :lol:
Wow replacing gay with doublegay

mediocrepoet

Patron

Disgusting. I never figured you for mage-curious.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Disgusting. I never figured you for mage-curious.
Bruh that's triplegay

mediocrepoet

Patron

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, tonight I messed around with a couple more because hey, I've got nothing to prove. I found Archer super dominant, very repetitive, and overall boring, though didn't stick with it long enough to use high level moves (which all seem to be "stand there and shoot different kinds of arrows" which sounds un-thrilling). Mystic Spearhand is the most fun so far, so many tools in the toolbox, has such an improvisational feel to it and unlike the rest never really feels out of position.

Anonona

Learned
Mystic Spearhand also has a surprising amount of CC and recovery from staggers. Some of its skills and the charged bolt will cancel most of its animations, including when your character is reeling back from a hit or getting up from the ground if done at the right time. Coupled with the AoE version that slow enemies it can recover from a stray hit and escape being stunlocked. Only problem is that you have to be charging the bolt during combat almost constantly to take full advantages of its strengths.

I though I had lately is that the reason MS is a blue/red class instead of a Blue/green is that red vocations seem to be equipped with skills, mechanics or/and stats to deal with stagger better than other vocations which make them better frontline fighters. Fighters have Flawless Guard, Warriors the best anti-knockdown stats and hyperarmor, and MS tons of animation cancelling.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Almost reached the endgame. A very mediocre game with good combat. I like the world a lot as it is more realistic than most games where they have different environment just to introduce diversity in gameplay mechanics and environments. This game had a lot of potential to be great but fails unfinished. The side quests are not so interesting as the original dragons dogma.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Almost reached the endgame. A very mediocre game with good combat. I like the world a lot as it is more realistic than most games where they have different environment just to introduce diversity in gameplay mechanics and environments. This game had a lot of potential to be great but fails unfinished. The side quests are not so interesting as the original dragons dogma.

I basically agree with this which sucks. If they could somehow mash the two games together, it'd be brilliant. :lol: Ugh.

Anonona

Learned
In defense of DD2's sidequests, they do have more quest that allow for multiple solutions that arent directly spelled to the player. Wish the quest themselves had been more interesting...

:negative:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I get that Dragoon is taken, but they should've called it Dragon Knight
Should've just gone with Dragoon.

Amano-FF4-Kain.jpg
ff4ds-paper02-1280x1024.jpg

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Not wrong. Although after a while I've decided that playing thief feels like playing cheat mode and went back to fighter.
IMO most visceral and cool overall.

Doesn't lack options to stagger enemies and his finishers feel great. Even handles harpies pretty well with his quick Cloudward Slash followed by a finisher on grounded enemy.
Full Moon Slash is awesome also.
Almost never turtled though, always on the offense.

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
Yeah
I call bullshit

VZox5UP.gif
I couldn't do this :(

..unless its specifically coded to only work in certain places?
You could do it anywhere but it was extremely finicky. I wonder if it's just buggy because I remember there being places where the devs clearly expected you to do that and I spent like 10 minutes trying.
This shit is so annoying, i tried it so many times but my pawn always got moved before me so i always had to use explosive items. Its even worse when you see on some videos that its actually possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom