Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

ADL

Prophet

I believe this will work for anyone on a RX5000+/RTX series GPU. HUD flickers but it's probably worth it if it doubles your frame rate.

sser

Arcane
Developer
How are people finding the difficulty? I've seen numerous people say it is way too easy but I've watched a few streamers and I've seen a few dozen deaths already. Some of them being one-shot.

Seems okay so far. You can get one-shot by certain monsters for sure, but it tends to be pretty obvious. I think the difficulty actually has more to do with the broader picture: how you manage your HP and resources going on far-off adventures. For example, after a long, grueling quest, I had to hunt down a traveling merchant to buy a campfire, then limp my way to a campsite while fighting all kinds of dumb shit while at a whopping 1HP. That's where the real struggle set in.

(I gave a campfire to a Pawn as thanks, but apparently it gave him my entire stack leaving me with nothing :avatard: )

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
How are people finding the difficulty? I've seen numerous people say it is way too easy but I've watched a few streamers and I've seen a few dozen deaths already. Some of them being one-shot.
I've died a few times, either due to me venturing into areas I probably shouldn't be or because I'm a cheapass and don't rest nearly as much as I should. I currently have my hp bar reduced by 3 quarters.

MerchantKing

Learned

I believe this will work for anyone on a RX5000+/RTX series GPU. HUD flickers but it's probably worth it if it doubles your frame rate.

It's kinda funny how developers are spamming all these effects in games for their players to just turn the all off because it destroys the frame rate.

Jinn

Arcane
The exploration in this is already miles better than the first game. Like, night and day. Surprised I haven't seen more people mentioning it here. Cool little nooks and crannies to explore around every corner.

It's been much better than I expected so far, actually. Nothing crazy hard, but the game keeps up the tension nicely, especially when you find yourself in a situation of attrition. I've got 4 deaths behind me in 8 hours.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
started as archer and sometimes had a hard time when boss monsters focused on me. the minotaur and griffin could reliably one shot me with their charge attacks. however, i since maxed out archer and switched to warrior and the damage values shrunk immensely. if you are a clumsy, retarded alcoholic like me you will find the level design and movement system to be deadlier than any of the enemies.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
DD still remains the only game to give me any fantastical "wonder" feeling like Morrowind did 20+ years ago.
How exactly? Everything is so generic and janky.

There's nothing I saw in my playtime that made me feel like I was in a living, breathing world, or even a unique one. Even the idea of pawns themselves, a core gameplay mechanic, feels underdeveloped lorewise.

NotSweeper

Educated
There's many games that do the whole call to adventure thing well. Dragon's Dogma is one of the few that I've played that feels like a fairytale, gay as that is.
There's nothing I saw in my playtime that made me feel like I was in a living, breathing world, or even a unique one. Even the idea of pawns themselves, a core gameplay mechanic, feels underdeveloped lorewise.
I think that's part of the reason why it feels like a fairytale. It's give off an uncanny valley vibe, but in a good way.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
How are status effects this time around? I recall poison doing basically no damage to enemies in the first game, same with burning. OTOH Petrify was a super easy instakill on some enemies and slow was incredibly strong.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
How are status effects this time around? I recall poison doing basically no damage to enemies in the first game, same with burning. OTOH Petrify was a super easy instakill on some enemies and slow was incredibly strong.
I have ice on my sword, on smaller enemies after about 4-5 hits they'll start to freeze; this led to an unintended self-own earlier when I hit a slime and got frozen inside it

sser

Arcane
Developer
DD still remains the only game to give me any fantastical "wonder" feeling like Morrowind did 20+ years ago.

DD just has a nice blend of exploration and chaotic, setpiece-style action that really tickles my fantasy power tripping. I even like the 'jankiness' because it leans into that chaos. A game like Dark Souls is obviously very well made, but it's also very mechanical which makes it feel a little more Mega Man-ish at some fundamental level: hit enemy, dodge enemy. DD, especially in night fights, is complete chaos, yourself being just one part of a big disorganized dance with gigantic spells erupting ice columns that cascade minions in every direction and a pawn is playing Shadow of the Colossus halfway up the back of a giant and your other pawn is being carried away by a huge fucking bird, and there's just no other game that really has these moments.

But it is entirely subjective so if it doesn't click for you then that's that. A lot of people think Oblivion is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I couldn't stomach the plain green fields from the very moment I saw them and that game does absolutely nothing for me at all.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I'm just loving the combat. It's the best, like ever. I'm pulling off some real Legolas shit with my archer. It's satisfying af. Was the archer class this good in the original DD? I never messed around with the regular archer. I always chose magic archer over it.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Game runs like booty, but it's awesome. DD still remains the only game to give me any fantastical "wonder" feeling like Morrowind did 20+ years ago. It's also the closest thing to a Lord of the Rings-esque experience, with you and your party of bros venturing into strange wilds and battling giant monsters.

View attachment 47911
"with you and your party of bros venturing into strange wilds and battling giant monsters"

But why the game doesn't have multiplayer?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Game runs like booty, but it's awesome. DD still remains the only game to give me any fantastical "wonder" feeling like Morrowind did 20+ years ago. It's also the closest thing to a Lord of the Rings-esque experience, with you and your party of bros venturing into strange wilds and battling giant monsters.

View attachment 47911
"with you and your party of bros venturing into strange wilds and battling giant monsters"

He talks about immersion and you ask about multiplayer, where nobody respects the fantasy, everybody fools around, don't do what they're supposed to because it's all a joke to them, spam dialogue hotkeys...

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Wow, me and my whole party just got wiped by some thing I never seen in the pre-release footage. Not sure wtf it was.

reminded me of Death from BBI. It sort of teleported around one-shotting us. It had 4 hp bars and wielded what looked to be a sickle. Asshole. It must only appear at night because he wasn't there before.

Yosharian

Arcane
Found a minor design oversight with the pawn assistance system.

Pawns have the ability to help you deal with minor environmental obstacles or lead you to chests or stones they've encountered with their player. So that's nice. Except, if a pawn has active quest help enabled, they will almost always take precedence over the pawn trying to boost you to a ledge, because both respond to the "Go!" command.

It kinda goes like this.

Pawn A(ngela White): Master, would you want me to give you a blowjob/help you reach that chest?
Player Character: Go!
Pawn B(itch, who asked?!): Forsooth, ye olde quest location clearly marked on ye map lies over yonder. Follow me!
Yeah I had a similar problem, it's quite annoying and I'm starting to think I DON'T want pawns with quest knowledge lol

Ezekiel

Arcane
but I was hoping we'd get more simulation now that the consoles aren't holding things back as much as they were during the PS3/360 era.
Feel like it doesn't need to be said, but consoles still hold the things we want back as much, because the devs always prioritize graphical fidelity, push the hardware as much as they can for visuals. It's not like the original Dragon's Dogma couldn't have had those simulation things you talked about. (Never played Stalker.) Or growing vegetation, forest fires, seasons and elaborate destruction, to use random examples.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
All the people who complained about the game being too easy must have never strayed far from the main quest. I'm doing alot of aimless wandering in different areas and getting smoked. If you stick to the main roads then sure, it's baby's first ARPG. I'm running into enemies that are far beyond me.

Reinhardt

Arcane

View attachment 47911

he said "bros", not "random retards jumping and rolling around"

Jinn

Arcane
Warrior feels so good in this. The heft behind the greatsword is just amazing, and landing perfectly timed blows is so satisfying. Had to end my session for the night sadly, but I'm at about 10 hours total. I don't want to stop. Getting off work a little early tomorrow so I'm going to have a nice long one ahead of me.

The feeling of joy I get when I'm playing this is something that only comes to me every great while from a game. It's the feeling where you can't help exclaim out loud when something strikes you as particularly wonderful, satisfyingly, or just plain cool. The sense of adventure, the exploration, the chaos of combat, the satisfying progression, the interactivity of the environment, the beauty of the world, and just the joy of being in that world. It's just such a nice feeling all around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom