Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

covr

Prophet
Patron
I am the only one who finds that new soundtrack simply disgusting? There's a recap of some of the new songs, and they are mostly terrible, especially ones with vocals. Just listen to this...thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgXQKqGhfIY&t=430s
It's way too clean, uninspired, lost its ambient nature of original 2-3 songs played by Tarn.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Why is it so important to these people that characters be trans-whatever? They are dwarves and you play this game to build stuff. You self-insert as dwarves now? Why do they need to ejaculate their illness on everything they claim to enjoy.

The new music sucks. Reminds me of shitty indie folk bands.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why is it so important to these people that characters be trans-whatever?

They lack any meaningful thing in their life that the core of their identity is their "gender". In more sane time people define themselves by religion, or ideology, or simply by personal quality. Not these modern people.

Perkel

Arcane
IDK where i heard it but some of devs said that release version will have some optimizations done so FPS probably will be higher.

Dwarf has world simulation and history, Rimworld has nothing like that.
Does that do anything for gameplay though?

It does. Basically everything that happens is simulated. Aliances, wars, etc. down to what people do daily. Every dwarf you have have family living somewhere that does their own things. For an example if you meet warezebra in your fortress which is a cursed man that changes into it every once in while and makes rampage (or not) is created by curse which is created some events like a lot of people dying over battlefield or some other event. Curse itself is unique and no two curses are the same, who could happen to also is simulated.

There are some conditions game has like elves, dwarves, humans, curses etc. But everything outside of those initial conditions is simulated brick by brick.

They way game spawns say titan attack is not by spawning titan in your zone but by spawning X amounts of titans in initial world creation. Running their whole stories and then game gives a "nudge" to titan that your colony is rich. Titan then travels land to your colony.

Like other said. There is whole Adventure mode which is really impressive even more so than fortress mode.

CPU is always a problem. Large companies release specific products for cryptocurrencies but not for DF :negative:

They did. AMD released Ryzen 5800X3D "Dwarf Fortress Edition".
DF looooooves cache on CPU and 5800X3D has a lot of it causing it go blindly fast in this game.

With it i was able to actually start 10x10 embark and it didn't melt my pc trying to run it. FPS also was pretty good but there is some simulation going in background that causes fps to go down to 0 for a second every 4-5 seconds for split second. Probably some cache miss.

CPU is always a problem. Large companies release specific products for cryptocurrencies but not for DF :negative:

It isn't processing power that's the issue with DF, but optimisation and design.

The game still has no significant multi-threading support, and Toady says he finds it too confusing to implement. Multi-threading would help a lot with DF as the game has a lot of things going on that could be offloaded.

It also doesn't help that Toady isn't a trained programmer and generally seems to work to a "if it compiles, it's good enough" style of development.

Even "trained programmer"'s have difficulty with multithreading, it's not a trivial problem.[/QUOTE]

Well that depends. Creating truly multi-threaded main thread handing whole game ? Hell on earth. But DF has systems that can completely live on their own providing only background numbers upon which characters will react that don't need to care about main simulation. Good example of it is temperature.

Initial conditions --> multilayered algo ---> return temp at given tile. Voila you just multithreaded whole temperature system.
Now do that for gasses, fluids and various other things that work as background to main simulation as single number in tile occupied by something.
Pathfinding is way harder especially since it is 3D game but i don't see why in principle it should be something that hard to move to other thread. DF operates in tiles so there is no collision detection to consider other than collision events as there are no collision boxes which massively simplifies path-finding.

In general if Tarn did give a shit he could easily multi-thread like 80% of FPS death problem. There will be still main simulation of history and what every character cat is doing but that is less than 30% of total FPS budget from what i saw playing game over the years. You can see it easily how game behaves doing various things to game. For example if you close everyone in few rooms and kill every animal, then pathfinding will not occur outside of those rooms and FPS goes up dramatically even if you have 50-100 dwarves.

Then there is GPU. GPU are pretty much build to run stuff like temp simulation.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I've just browsed Steam forums as it's going to be released tomorrow. And wow, there's huge interest in this game, a new topic every couple of minutes, lots of discussion & from what I see most of it is generated by newcomers to the game.
Sales wise, this might be something really big, I wonder how many players will refund this after and hour or so. It has tutorial now, seems pretty accessible, but it is still dwarf fortress and the amount of stuff can overwhelm even experienced rimworld players. If they have added pseudo animation like rimworld has, this could be topseller for many months.

I hope Adams brothers won't get crazy with amount of money they will get. I want to see a proper magic system in my DF around 2030!

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
I also like the fact that russkies complain a lot about 30$ price tag. A monthly salary just to build a fort for little ppl.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I've just browsed Steam forums as it's going to be released tomorrow. And wow, there's huge interest in this game, a new topic every couple of minutes, lots of discussion & from what I see most of it is generated by newcomers to the game.
Sales wise, this might be something really big, I wonder how many players will refund this after and hour or so. It has tutorial now, seems pretty accessible, but it is still dwarf fortress and the amount of stuff can overwhelm even experienced rimworld players. If they have added pseudo animation like rimworld has, this could be topseller for many months.

I hope Adams brothers won't get crazy with amount of money they will get. I want to see a proper magic system in my DF around 2030!

Not really. The biggest issue with DF always were controls and graphics. Both are getting fixed.
Outside of that for new comer game is pretty easy to start.

To survive years is where most of challenge comes and FPS death.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Wait until they hit aquifer or early siege. It is true that DF is much easier Vs 2D version, but it can be challenging for newcomers. I think that this new version has brought a lot of balance changes, not sure if dumbing down or buffing the game overall.

Perkel

Arcane
Wait until they hit aquifer or early siege. It is true that DF is much easier Vs 2D version, but it can be challenging for newcomers. I think that this new version has brought a lot of balance changes, not sure if dumbing down or buffing the game overall.

aquifer got rebalanced in last patch if i remember correctly. No longer it requires some wizardry with steps supports walls etc. to punch through. I didn't play it personally but from patch notes aquifer now takes a lot of time to fill space with water unlike before which took like a few seconds.

RomanRichter

Literate
Let's count seconds on how fast "Non-Euclidean" mod will be released, and then purged with mod creator being banned from steam :positive:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I also like the fact that russkies complain a lot about 30$ price tag. A monthly salary just to build a fort for little ppl.
Wait, they're still able to go on Steam and buy games?

Valve is fully private and cares not about virtue signaling. And as a company it has seemingly very strong core culture and most of its employee is well paid enough and rarely has massive public persona unlike "Blue Haired Game Company PR#99". This all means that there are rarely social drama involved with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom