Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

Harthwain

Magister
I find it funny that in every US zombie movie the most powerful and well-funded army in the world is overwhelmed in an instant and it falls to a bunch of random nobodies with some pistols and shotguns to stop the zombies. Which they do without much of a problem, making you think why the army failed.

The myth of citizen militia still seems to live in these shows.
Left 4 Dead did this plausibly: the virus is airborne so the army (and everything else) collapses purely because a lot of people turn into zombies until this much is figured out. By which time the army isn't strong enough to deal with the masses of zombies who can simply overrun their positions. Then there is the question of requiring gas masks and oxygen supplies. So the only people being able to move around freely are survivors, and these are the ones who actually managed to survive this long in the world full of zombies and resource scarcity, meaning their numbers got cut down too.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I find it funny that in every US zombie movie the most powerful and well-funded army in the world is overwhelmed in an instant and it falls to a bunch of random nobodies with some pistols and shotguns to stop the zombies. Which they do without much of a problem, making you think why the army failed.

The myth of citizen militia still seems to live in these shows.
Left 4 Dead did this plausibly: the virus is airborne so the army (and everything else) collapses purely because a lot of people turn into zombies until this much is figured out. By which time the army isn't strong enough to deal with the masses of zombies who can simply overrun their positions. Then there is the question of requiring gas masks and oxygen supplies. So the only people being able to move around freely are survivors, and these are the ones who actually managed to survive this long in the world full of zombies and resource scarcity, meaning their numbers got cut down too.

There is no point in discussing the plausibility of the story because it's shit and nothing can change the nature of shit.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Zombie movies and games always fall apart when you try to think a bit more at it, like for example, why everyone is sticking to the city when the obvious move would be to move to the rural areas? Nowdays in many areas only 2% of the population live on rural areas. You know, zombies dont seem intelligent and as humans concentrate on the cities, the place with the highest concentration of zombies would be the cities, it isnt that they are intelligent enough to follow humans around.

That is why everyone is an asshole on those types of story, to generate drama because the whole staying on a city filled with zombies is just retardation, in reality, because of the extremely low population density and economic output, the gains from violence are minimal while the gains for cooperation are huge. They need to be careful with the assholery though, because if everyone is an asshole, you lose interest in helping them very fast.

Zombie apocalypse movie in a rural area: Jimmy Bob Joe shoots the one zombie that somehow gets into the small town of 2000 people with his shotgun at the start.
Then the rest of the movie is just scenes of regular life going on as usual.

Machocruz

Arcane
For the whole zombie crisis to be plausible, you have to just accept the notion that reanimated corpses would have enough physical strength to be a threat, even in numbers, which I don't . I'd still beat the shit out of 20 pre-schoolers coming at me, without a scratch. But yet in some of these movies you have niggas rotted down to almost a skeleton yanking people's heads off.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think the basic biological premise of dead humans somehow managing to even walk without a source of energy is unexplainable and is better to be hand waved but I enjoy a non retarded world building and some questions are very valid to make an enjoyable story like:

If you turn yourself on a zombie if you arent exposed to UV light and if zombies are afraid of UV lights, why dont you go like this everywhere:
:discohitler:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is fun. If they didn't lock areas and other stuff to campaign progression like some goddamned 90s game, I would unironically rate this game 9/10. Whatever bugs I've run into are minor, and the jankiness is pretty minimal.

That being said, every interaction with the campaign is like being repeatedly slapped with a fail paddle.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is fun. If they didn't lock areas and other stuff to campaign progression like some goddamned 90s game, I would unironically rate this game 9/10. Whatever bugs I've run into are minor, and the jankiness is pretty minimal.

That being said, every interaction with the campaign is like being repeatedly slapped with a fail paddle.
I like they dynamic soundtrack they have for parkour the better you do the louder and faster the music plays even has long notes for when you do a big jump :salute:

ADL

Prophet
When they do a Dying Light 3 I hope it doesn't have a progression system for parkour. It's really dumb that a pilgrim who has survived outside cities and traveled for thousands of kilometers is still 'leveling up' to do basic shit like sliding on the ground and land on his feet better. Why hide your amazing parkour system behind 10-15 hours worth of unnecessary progression, even when you have a protagonist that should be a pro?

I unlocked everything and the game plays much better now. Would have preferred that they gave you all the parkour abilities from the start and the only 'progression' you'd get is from the nightrunner gadgets like the grapple hook and the paraglider.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

3rd most played game on steam keep coping you amerimutt rusty_shackleford

:positive:

Look at that DOWNGRADE niggers.

89A9269016444FBAF4F543E342E8EB82843DB54D
47B1FB0D870A36B82CD85FACE9C98B19602FDB60
1D2F3C56CA7B71E6A2D4A697BFE064FA944B997D

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
I think the basic biological premise of dead humans somehow managing to even walk without a source of energy is unexplainable and is better to be hand waved but I enjoy a non retarded world building and some questions are very valid to make an enjoyable story like:
Zombies don't have to be dead. In Left 4 Dead they are simply infected humans. And 28 Weeks Later movie takes place after the original zombies (people who got the rage virus) on Great Britain starved to death, if I remember correctly.

Yosharian

Arcane
I really want to enjoy this game, but the amount of minor non-gameplay annoyances is wearing me down.

• When your settlement's defenses in a zombie postapoc with human enemies is a single flimsy, unguarded door with a UV light
  • Sure I guess I'll just steal honey from this beehive, bees have historically been fine with that
  • Door is slightly ajar, no way I can go in that way to close it, have to make a major detour through the building to close it from the other side
  • NPCs having casual, scripted dialogue exchanges mere feet away from a zombie horde
  • In one early mission, you need to convince someone to unlock a door
    while on the phone with his sister. Instead of pressing the phone against the door and letting her explain, you try to convince him yourself....
  • The Survivor/Bazaar faction is utterly unlikable
  • Game shouting CHOICES to the high heavens yet you're still railroaded into helping people you don't like for no (good) reason whatsoever.

Game feels like it was written by people with no life experiences and never cracked open a book.

images
Yeah the writing is pretty bad. Yet, I can't help but like it better than DL1 in this regard. I'm not sure why.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
I really want to enjoy this game, but the amount of minor non-gameplay annoyances is wearing me down.

• When your settlement's defenses in a zombie postapoc with human enemies is a single flimsy, unguarded door with a UV light
  • Sure I guess I'll just steal honey from this beehive, bees have historically been fine with that
  • Door is slightly ajar, no way I can go in that way to close it, have to make a major detour through the building to close it from the other side
  • NPCs having casual, scripted dialogue exchanges mere feet away from a zombie horde
  • In one early mission, you need to convince someone to unlock a door
    while on the phone with his sister. Instead of pressing the phone against the door and letting her explain, you try to convince him yourself....
  • The Survivor/Bazaar faction is utterly unlikable
  • Game shouting CHOICES to the high heavens yet you're still railroaded into helping people you don't like for no (good) reason whatsoever.

Game feels like it was written by people with no life experiences and never cracked open a book.

images
Yeah the writing is pretty bad. Yet, I can't help but like it better than DL1 in this regard. I'm not sure why.
It's better I have 100h in dying light 1 and writing in dying light 2 while not being anything great is much more engaging than in the first one. Also from what I saw from other peoples gameplays choices really change stuff I killed the nigger peacekeeper sergant while helping the survivors. Then I watched somebody else do that quest and she is fine but the Barry from survivors is dead. I think there was also a choice to not get involved at all in that quest.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The real problem with DL2 is that its parkour and combat got fucked.

The very first parkour skill you unlock is basically a jump in lunar gravity, aka floaty as shit that makes it extremely easy to do any jumping segments; in comparison, DL1's parkour mechanics were much more realistic and unforgiving.

Combat no longer feels organic but more like whack-a-mole until HP bars go down. Enemies have levels and their HP scales up. Everything is shit.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
The real problem with DL2 is that its parkour and combat got fucked.

The very first parkour skill you unlock is basically a jump in lunar gravity, aka floaty as shit that makes it extremely easy to do any jumping segments; in comparison, DL1's parkour mechanics were much more realistic and unforgiving.
Sure thing bro "realistic" this is what people call looking through rose tinted glasses.

This one skill in dying light makes 80% of your parkour moves redundant because why bother when you can just hop around like spiderman also adds total immunity to falling because you can always save yourself using it. Meanwhile graple hook in dying light 2 enhances your parkour moves and adds new opportunities. Unlock more skills nigger addition of wall run that is absent in the first one is a major improvment by itself.

Combat no longer feels organic but more like whack-a-mole until HP bars go down. Enemies have levels and their HP scales up. Everything is shit.

Nigger you realize enemies had hp scaling in the first game too xD?

"Story %, as you progress into story, zombies are replaced with more resilient and healthier zombies. For example, a basic 2000 damage weapon found at higher ranks will one shot nearly every biter at 0% story, but will take few hits to kill them at Normal mode at 100% story, extra few hits to die on Hard mode at 100% story, and several hits to die on Nightmare mode at 100% story. But at 0% story biters will die in one shot even on Nightmare mode if it's NG+ which means player has leveled weapons. This is to give rough estimation on how story % affects zombies."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom