Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA wins "Worst Company in America 2012", reacts butthurt

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If you look at the 52 week range, you'll see it use to be at $26. It's dropped 40-50% in the past 6 months. That's crazy.

Not really. EA doesn't have anything interesting to show for the future. And TOR is a failure.

Yes, it is crazy. It doesn't matter how formulaic a failure might appear to be or how well you can explain it happening, it doesn't make it any less crazy to perform so badly. This is their lowest share price in over a decade.

I'm eager to see what the big announcement will be as their way to deal with all of this. Shutting down Bioware is a possibility, but a price restructuring plan for TOR might also occur. Surely the game must be performing worse than is being made out otherwise EA would be yelling it as loud as they could. Perhaps they spent more money on it than most people realise.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Maybe they'll start trying to sell new "enhanced" editions of TOR in red, green, or blue.

Dexter

Arcane
Yeah it is, but this one is new :P
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/15/s...lead-designer-we-are-looking-at-free-to-play/

Star Wars: The Old Republic lead designer Emmanuel Lusinchi has spoken to GamesTM about the level of competition in the MMO market. He mentions that the quality of the competition is more important than the free-to-play pricing model, but suggests that Bioware are willing to consider other pricing options.

“The MMO market is very dynamic and we need to be dynamic as well,” he said. “Unless people are happy with what they have, they are constantly demanding updates, new modes and situations. So we are looking at free-to-play but I can’t tell you in much detail. We have to be flexible and adapt to what is going on.”

Bioware Austin have recently adapted to falling subscriber numbers by reducing the number of staff at their Austin studio last month. Lusinchi told us that “the MMO is the toughest part of the game industry without a doubt.”

Also, if you didn't know, apparently Stanrey Woo got fired, his rine finally ended after working there for 11 years xD
http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/stanley-woo/43/14b/13b?_mSplash=1
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/tzxel/my_friend_just_got_laid_off_from_bioware_swtor/

Dexter

Arcane
Why the hell is he still moderating if he got fired?
http://worstninjaever.blogspot.de/2012/05/bye-o-ware-yay.html

He's doing it in his free time as a volunteer moderator :lol:

The next step is to get a vehicle, start and complete some projects that have been swimming around in my brain, and put to paper a lot of ideas that need to be fleshed out. Oh yeah, and get my finances in order, write a couple of resumes, do a whole mess of research, and get head shots in case I need to audition for something. I'll likely be returning to the BioWare online community as a Moderator some time soon. The Community team has kept my position as a volunteer Moderator open, and it was something I did enjoy doing, so that'll give me my daily recommended dose of Vitamin RI (righteous indignation). Then it's new shoes so I can pound the pavement better.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Why the hell is he still moderating if he got fired?
http://worstninjaever.blogspot.de/2012/05/bye-o-ware-yay.html

He's doing it in his free time as a volunteer moderator :lol:

The next step is to get a vehicle, start and complete some projects that have been swimming around in my brain, and put to paper a lot of ideas that need to be fleshed out. Oh yeah, and get my finances in order, write a couple of resumes, do a whole mess of research, and get head shots in case I need to audition for something. I'll likely be returning to the BioWare online community as a Moderator some time soon. The Community team has kept my position as a volunteer Moderator open, and it was something I did enjoy doing, so that'll give me my daily recommended dose of Vitamin RI (righteous indignation). Then it's new shoes so I can pound the pavement better.

Stockholm syndrome.

Read his blog. My god, he's still brain washed.

Dexter

Arcane
IGN posted an amazing "feel good" piece about EA xD

As to not give them any hits, here it is:

gamejournalismvvitx.png

Angthoron

Arcane
"GUYS PLEASE PLEASE KEEP GIVING US YOUR AD MONEY WE LOVE YOU EA GUYS YOU KNOW THAT RIGHT GUYS GUYS???"

Thanks for putting it in screenshot form bro.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
disgust=pleasure

isn't that right mel- oh, we're not on BTE

unusual

Micmu

Magister
I have IGN (and some other "gaming" sites) shitlisted on my proxy server. Just so I accidentaly don't get redirected there when I'm looking for some game info/patches/etc.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
If there is no focus paid to increasing the SP content (and that's what a lot of gamers have played it for, including me) then even that won't help. By SP, I mean the Story Arcs which if BioWare put more effort into would make the legacy system something to really pay attention to. My Jedi Knight and Sith Warriors are half brothers already and I want to make their Dad a Bounty Hunter, and Aunt an Imperial Agent....but I need more Story.
What the fuck.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If there is no focus paid to increasing the SP content (and that's what a lot of gamers have played it for, including me) then even that won't help. By SP, I mean the Story Arcs which if BioWare put more effort into would make the legacy system something to really pay attention to. My Jedi Knight and Sith Warriors are half brothers already and I want to make their Dad a Bounty Hunter, and Aunt an Imperial Agent....but I need more Story.
What the fuck.

That guy is 49 years old.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
SWTOR completely destroyed BioWare, just like WoW destroyed Blizzard from the inside. They both just ain't the same companies any longer.

This is what gets you when you put money making first and game making second on your priority list.

Dexter

Arcane
The funny thing is, they never even had 1.7 million on SWTOR like they reported, they just spiced the numbers: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...50c8d268/ERTS_Wedbush_03082012_Transcript.pdf

Star Wars, this is an area that I think has got a lot of people anxious. I've heard from investors today saying that
we must have 800,000 subscribers. I heard 600,000 yesterday. So what I think a lot of people have
misunderstood is we said we had 1.7 million subscribers on the last call, which was about a month ago. What that
was about was the fact that only about – just about half that number had triggered through their 30-day point and
become active subscribers, our definition of recurring subscribers.
We had about half that total still in the 30-day trial period, but they're subscribers because that first month is
including with a package good. What I said a month ago was, just over half. I can now confirm for you today that
the vast majority of the 1.7 is now triggered through that point and they're recurring subscribers.
[...]
I am not giving you my fiscal 2013 guidance, but it is very clear on the surface that some of the craziness that was
out there in terms of misunderstanding [ph] this is that I can (10:04) clear up today. It's a very strong entry. We
still have a lot of future in front of us. We're two months into the launch, a lot more to go, but 1.7 million, vast
majority now, are recurring subscribers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't help but think that ultimately, the blame for TOR's failure falls on the shoulders of none other than...George Lucas. If the prequel trilogy had actually been good - Peter Jackson good, Christopher Nolan good - it would have given the Star Wars IP a new lease on life that would have taken it well into the next millennium.
But it seems the old fuck doesn't care much about his legacy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom