Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

A bit off-topic but I gotta say wow, machine translations have come a long way. Can understand basically everything without problems on that link.

Only because you know game mechanics. Otherwise you wouldnt know whats what. But still yes, its decent.

read that manual i posted, however if you dont understand the game, listing stats is not really much a help.
Do note sometimes AI can get lucky(sometimes you get lucky too), find some epic loot and just steamroll. You might be doing ok, it is just that one map.
thank you but it doesn't really explain why i'm always behind even on the lowest difficulty level even if i'm convinced i'm not doing anything so much wrong.

Borelli

Arcane

Manual translation states that wizard > warrior is enchanter while wizard > commander is called exorcist. In the game however wizard > warrior is battlemage while wizard > commander is enchanter.
Also lol at soul steal translation being "abduction shower":)

During conversation i clicked an option and now i am curious what would the NPC say if i selected the other one, is there any script of the game's dialogue online?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My karma is now "competent" "evil" so I guess suits well my playstyle. I expect many bad events to happen to me.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Karma is campaign-wide and influences a couple of things (kinda vague I know, but I don't want to spoil too much ;))

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well it overflows from what you received on shard. I had few shards where I ended as Evil, but I have honest reputation. Look under your name. You'd see your current title. Or you can look at relationships with other masters.

william blake

Educated
i usually try to get some levels exploring the starting region, then as soon as i'm able to field pikeman+healer/anything that works or have enough money to buy out the best human regions (if i can't kill the guards) i begin to conquer
oh,i saw same guy recently
lets play from a very novice player:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680
nice guy,but how can he do this,die on beginner,how? :)
look at his progress,maybe you can upgrade your skill too?
Is there campaign karma? Or is it purely shard specific?
when you start the shard,shard karma=astral karma
when you finished the shard,new astral karma=old astral carma+shard karma

Bulba

Learned
I can confirm that AI actually does run out of gold. I'm besieging that dude with mega garrison and he is throwing at me level 1 troops with his heroes.

BTW treasury building gives you 2 or 3% gold income based on your current treasury so in theory its possible not to run out ever with that. I guess thats what Bweil wanted to say with his example.

ah I'll have to repeat myself. AI does run out of gold, but it has extra income. if you give its troops some time (by building defenses etc) it will get top tier troops even if its hero will be trying to attack your province every turn (it would see your hero there and withdraw). if it had the gold, it would get top tier troops from the start so treasury does not count. with one province making 17-20 gold and expenses of tier one troops over 40 per turn it must have extra income.
extra income heavily depends on the ai's skill (expert, master etc) and the number of provinces ai has.

nice guy,but how can he do this,die on beginner,how? :)
i don't know either, that's why i'm asking for help, something i very rarely do.
i just won two more shards, then it was brutal raping all over again, i even tried a more aggressive approach but the computer keeps being faster and richer than me.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
My general strategy now is this: Get warrior hero and a forge for chainmail on first turn, beat up some goblins if you can. After that, get spearmen, have your warrior sit on a hill with spearmen behind him (also preferably on hills for the range boost) and beat stuff up, trying to level up your warrior. After a while you'll be strong enough to steam roll most stuff without an army, at which point you've basically won. Pay close attention to the enemy types though, magic users are very dangerous until you get decent resistance, and poison tends to be a big threat even very late, unless you get the spell to cure it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys I have a question: do neutral provinces get stronger defenders further into the campaign? In my current shard I found myself in a situation where I find more dragon lairs than goblins when exploring my lands and all surrounding provinces have RIDICULOUS garrisons. Like province at range 3 from capital having 13 spiders (no resources) or 8 horse archers/cavalry (no resources). Or orcs 4 range from capital having a bloody cyclop among the other things. I feel boxed in.

sher

Educated
Guys I have a question: do neutral provinces get stronger defenders further into the campaign?

Yes. Early campaign shards are crippled to give beginners more space but in time they'll become more and more closer to real maps. That's why start of campaign is so boring.

Like province at range 3 from capital having 13 spiders (no resources) or 8 horse archers/cavalry (no resources). Or orcs 4 range from capital having a bloody cyclop among the other things. I feel boxed in.

It's normal actually. If you're able to beat 4th circle then usually it's time to find opponents and wage real war clearing most juicy locations on your way.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh thanks for explanations, wasnt aware of that - didnt try custom games at all. But it makes little sense to me to try and conquer those provinces when its easier and cheaper to eliminate the AI - since it has "normal" armies and heroes in comparison.

you made my eyes bleed.
i'm already using a warrior as first hero, then a second one according to which uber weapon i find. if any.
i just won a shard. i did nothing different from the previous failed attempt. i'm puzzled.

Damned Registrations

Oh thanks for explanations, wasnt aware of that - didnt try custom games at all. But it makes little sense to me to try and conquer those provinces when its easier and cheaper to eliminate the AI - since it has "normal" armies and heroes in comparison.
Well, there is the matter of your score. I'm not sure how much that matters though, if at all. But the primary source of score seems to be # of provinces controlled, with quests, hero levels, and personality coming after that. You also get half a point for each victory, which tends to add up over time.

Personally I just find it fun to fight dragons and shit. Dragon cults are the biggest challenge I've seen so far, and the loot they drop is insane. It's actually annoying how rare other high level monsters are compared to dragons. I've only seen a treant in an arena or guarding a shop.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, dragons are common (lol) but never managed to defeat one since by that time the game is over anyway. Would also need soldiers better than lvl 2. Or a warrior hero with like 30 levels (sniper with meatshields). But also seen many cults of the titan (dunno what is their big guy) and some cults of the hydra (pretty obvious).

Does the score actually do anything? Because FOR ME winning quickly is way more, how to call it, satisfactory that prolonging the game needlessly.

Damned Registrations

All I've noticed so far is getting a different title. But your score in each shard is added to your Glory, and I'm hoping having that high enough will unlock something in the storyline, the same way alignment changes the way other masters treat you.

The length it takes to conquer an entire shard is a bit much even for me though, I'll probably look into changing some options soon (autobattle if enemy is doomed, autopromote under level 5, etc.) to speed things up. At the moment I'm still maintaining some interest by doing quests and discovering units/items I've never seen before, but once I've made alliances with each race I'll probably be less interested in scouring the map for dragons to kill.

Dragon killing protip: pretty sure dragons are not poison immune. If you can get enough poison stacks on one it'll be fucked in a few turns. Not sure if there is a reliable source of poison you can freshly recruit or if you'd need an army of levelled up thieves or something. Like I said, I always go for the level 20+ warrior. The dragon counter attacks harder than you hit at first, but it suffers from wounds, so it's attack drops like a rock after it gets down to about 30%. Berserker hero has no such problem. (Well actually you can get fucked by wounds too if berserking never activates because you got poisoned that low or something, but a dragon is going to trigger berserk state right away.) I'd imagine 4th circle spells would do the trick too. (Indirect ones like invulnerability or summon devil obviously, since the fucker is spell immune.)

The other T4 monsters are a lot easier to handle than dragons, since they're either slow or lack defenses. The dragon has a ranged attack, is armored as fuck, and flies really fast. You pretty much need T3 units to even scratch it and it'll eat them for breakfast. Especially the cult dragons, which are level 20+ (lone dragons in caves are level 1 or whatever).

Anyways, I've always enjoyed the power hoarding aspect of this kind of game more than the tactical level. Eeking out a close win only feels good to me when playing against humans. If it's vs AI I much prefer waiting until I can utterly crush the enemy, and I consider the system limiting my power to be my real opponent.

Eyeball

Arcane
Guys, I'm really trying to make each of the basic character classes work as a starting hero. Scout is easymode, warrior is well doable when I get some armour on him and use him for tanking and commander is OK after he gets 3 levels or so and his army begins to dwarf that of your enemies.

But starting with a wizard hero? Shit, I just can't make this work. The level 1 spells just don't seem to pack enough punch to make up for him being squisher than dogshit and his tiny army being insufficient to keep him from getting smoked.

What exactly am I doing wrong here? I've managed to turn a wizard into Buttfuck McRapington when hired as my 2nd hero, but I just can't seem to make him work properly with the pissant level 1 spells. I'm trying for a summoner/necromancer type character using mainly "evil" units like barbarians and shamans as my hirelings. Tactical trips appreciated here.

Damned Registrations

I think the key might be the same as what makes wizards so broken in DnD: all the 'soft' spells. Try checking the morale/stamina/resistance of some key enemies and hitting them with a fear or fatigue or slow spell. Slow lasts fucking forever, and if you bring an enemy down to 0 with it they can't even counter attack (and even if they could, they'd hit for fuck all) which makes it very good for raping the strongest targets in a group, like orcs or ogres or swordsmen. For direct damage you may as well rely on the wand, it hits just as hard as magic spark does anyways. Thamauturgy is probably the best skill to learn, enemy resistance affects pretty much everything.

I kind of gave up on them myself though. Warriors are just too overpowered. Even in the worst case scenario of being boxed in by poison slug provinces I just need to get some cannon fodder units to handle the especially troublesome fights and then go back to massacring everything with a solo warrior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom