Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eador Genesis

Angthoron

Arcane
Well the key issue with the game feeling repetitive is, I'd say, the slow campaign start. Hell, it's only on the 10th shard that you finally get access to proper Tier 2 buildings, which is sick slow. Otherwise, it's just about as repetitive as HoMM, Disciples or KB games - it's sort of in the nature of these games to be that way. Hand-crafted maps would offer a bit of a solution to this, yeah, but HoMM was just as popular for its map editor as it was for the random map feature.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, I find them in the heart of the labyrinth. Be prepared to fight though, because it is certainly not the only possible outcome.

Also, regarding sorcery stores: pretty sure those are the stores that can potentially sell gargoyles. Which are fucking awesome in large numbers. All that weapon damage adds up very quickly.

complaining about repetitive combat for someone who spent 100h in m&b? you have some balls dear sir. maybe tb combat is not your cup of tea... after all it does require a bit of brains instead of just repetitive mouse swinging.

Retards like you aren't capable of understanding simple points. I've spent just as long playing games like Age of Wonders 2 (which has far superior TB combat)

Well the key issue with the game feeling repetitive is, I'd say, the slow campaign start. Hell, it's only on the 10th shard that you finally get access to proper Tier 2 buildings, which is sick slow. Otherwise, it's just about as repetitive as HoMM, Disciples or KB games - it's sort of in the nature of these games to be that way. Hand-crafted maps would offer a bit of a solution to this, yeah, but HoMM was just as popular for its map editor as it was for the random map feature.

I'm hoping so. I haven't completed that many shards yet. Like I said, better delivery of new units and handcrafted maps would have made all the difference. The early campaign maps give you 3 or so buildings each win but none of those buildings change the way you are playing the maps in any significant way (basically just upgrades to features you already have access to).

Project: Eternity
Btw, I am on a map and it said something about a key on the map as well. To get this key do I need to win the map before a certain period of time, or find the province/site that has the event?

william blake

Educated
what about the successor? it's on steam greenlight right now.
http://www.snowbirdgames.com/eador/?lang=en

mid 2011 they promised release at early 2012
mid 2012 they promiced release at early 2013
here comes "beta",ugly as fuck(in my opinion),without multiplayer,full campaign and even difficulty levels.locally non-final grafics and interface..
im still wating-eador has nearly perfect multiplayer mechanics.but the developers seems butthanded liars.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
To reduce the problem with repetition, search through the thread for the config tweaks posted earlier.

I think it was:

Refresh delay (default 40): 25
Poll mouse delay (default 25): 20

But I could be wrong. Those tweaks will speed up your game.

You can also probably develop standardized tactics and formations for easier trash fights and clear them in a few minutes, sometimes without advancing your melee units.

The game certainly has an element of repetition but you can make it play fast and it has higher strategic depth than AOW2.

fanta

Arcane
Bros, I need advice from those of you who've played the campaign. The elf queen chick is urging me to cast the Skeletor guy into chaos. Is it just flavour or will invading him open a path in the campaign that would otherwise be closed?

GG Rex

Educated
The fun here is making do with little, playing on higher difficulty settings and finding a way to "break out" of resource limits. Fighting with zero losses.

If you play it on easier settings with auto-combat than you'll get bored very quickly (make strong warrior, kill everything) - it really does become very repetitive that way.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bros, I need advice from those of you who've played the campaign. The elf queen chick is urging me to cast the Skeletor guy into chaos. Is it just flavour or will invading him open a path in the campaign that would otherwise be closed?

Skeletor dude invaded me so I wouldnt mind casting him into chaos. But I havent reached that point in campaign yet so cant give you advice. I did cast into chaos the barbarian guy but campaign wise it was a colossal waste of time (but from strategic point of view he gave me new nice building designs).

Lightknight

Liturgist
Age of Wonders 2 (which has far superior TB combat)
That seems unlikely, what with the great distance armies start at, and much larger damage RNG.

The elf queen chick is urging me to cast the Skeletor guy into chaos. Is it just flavour or will invading him open a path in the campaign that would otherwise be closed?
Nope. What happens is, when you invade him she will periodically send you gifts from Astral, mostly near the start, stuff like a bit of resources, a few fairies/dryads/pegasi, etc.
And in general, dont wait to invade on someone hostile to you. If they invade you its just a loss of time, as you gain nothing after kicking them out. Possibly there are some dialogue options with some of them, so it might be worth it to keep someone alive, but it doesnt matter that much.

Did anyone save past themselves ? It always happen at the WORST possible time, when your armies are 10-15 provinces away, and there is very little you can actually do. Dont believe any generic guards can defeat those demons alone.

Damned Registrations

I did. My OP warrior happened to be at home, crushed them flat.

I usually get some nice contract guards there anyways, or at the very least adventurers, and adventurers should be able to do the trick I'd think.

Borelli

Arcane
Did anyone save past themselves ? It always happen at the WORST possible time, when your armies are 10-15 provinces away, and there is very little you can actually do. Dont believe any generic guards can defeat those demons alone.

I got that once, saw that my capitol guards can't beat the demons then i ctrl-alt-del because i didn't want to lose the shard because of a random event. What are the requirements for that event to appear?

Lightknight

Liturgist
at the very least adventurers
I doubt adventurers are up to the task. Besides, adventurers are generic, you get like guaranteed 4 contracts from buildings alone.
And really, there's practically no reason to have any guards at citadel at all, with the smallest possible exception of of inquisition, and its far easier to just submit to them anyway even if you're good. But then that demonic army comes and you're caught with your pants down.

then i ctrl-alt-del because i didn't want to lose the shard because of a random event.
You dont actually lose the shard in that particular event, just the forces in the citadel garrison.
Its completely random i believe, and i've got that 3 times already.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I managed to hire my first level 3 unit that wasnt a mercenary - a minotaur (you dont have to go to the heart of the labyrinth, middle option is enough). Got him to level 17, he single handedly defeated whole armies with his 30+ round attacks. Funny how easy it is to keep those level creatures. Also minotaurs are fairly cheap for what they offer, low upkeep too, excellent promotions.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Funny how easy it is to keep those level creatures.
Team of Phoenixes reinforced by a mage with a load of second life spells. Cant be defeated.

The problem is finding a phoenix egg. Minotaurs at least are widely available. Also phoenixes have kinda low defense stats so a competent army wont have problems with killing them even three times in one turn. And mages are squishy, teleport plus level 15 devil will make short work of him...

Its also quite shocking how imbalanced equal tier creatures really are. Comparing a giant to a phoenix is a joke. Not to mention warlocks. Those suck, in my opinion should be tier 3.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Also phoenixes have kinda low defense stats so a competent army wont have problems with killing them even three times in one turn.
In multiplayer maybe. AI is not capable enough to achieve that.

Bulba

Learned
There is absolutely no reason for them to be balanced. you can recruit most of them only through some rare special event/place

Damned Registrations

Are we talking about the same demonic army here? The one I fought only had 2 demons and the rest fiends/imps/hellhounds. And even demons aren't really that nasty, they can't counter attack worth shit and none of them have decent defenses. Adventurers aren't too powerful, but they should be on par with that if you've got some decent recruit xp bonuses.

I always try to keep at least a spearmen squad in every province and the best I can in my citadel- there are other events that can spark a fight, like crazy monks building an evil altar or (presumably) fighting a devil instead of getting the artifact.

Spearmen are the best recruits for their cost by far in my experience so far. A handful of archers and a dozen spear chucking meatshields can handle almost anything that doesn't have 6+ ranged armor or similar numbers. They eat inquisitors for lunch, take down harpies and trolls, and they're dirt cheap both to recruit and to unlock for recruiting.

Also, balance between creatures isn't much better at lower tiers. Comparing slingers or goblins to orcs or elves is a joke. I think it's the same sort of deal between warlocks and dragons.

I'd imagine warlocks aren't tier 3 mostly because if they were you could cram so many on a team they'd one shot anything short of a dragon with their ranged attack. They are made of paper but their attacks hit HARD.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Warlocks hit HARD? Yes, maybe compared to level 1-2 creatures but hitting for 20 dmg isnt particularly impressive for their tier. They may be the ultimate shooter (havent seen anything that compares, even giants have shorter range and weaker abilities) but nowhere near other tier 4 creatures.

In my case demonic army invaded when my wounded archer hero was returning to heal with two wounded units. Wasnt even a battle. I dont hire guards, its hard balancing the budget as is. Of course the inquisition runs rampantly in my lands but eh, they are sinners they asked for it.

There is absolutely no reason for them to be balanced. you can recruit most of them only through some rare special event/place

Yes but its disappointing when you get things like warlocks and giants and dragons in one tier. I want all of them to be awesome.

Also phoenixes have kinda low defense stats so a competent army wont have problems with killing them even three times in one turn.
In multiplayer maybe. AI is not capable enough to achieve that.

AI can be reliably beat without tier 4 units so its all just theorycrafting anyway. I just pointed out that phoenixes arent so hot (heh). Ghosts man, damn ghosts. If only they had more damage they would be perfect...

Lightknight

Liturgist
I always try to keep at least a spearmen squad in every province
Wow.

and they're dirt cheap both to recruit and to unlock for recruiting.
Cheap, but not always possible. I usually get swordsmen & crossbowmen for themselves and their combined guard, a healer, and a slinger for 2-province deep scouting. Cant have spearmen without spending energy, and i dont spend energy.

Comparing slingers or goblins to orcs or elves is a joke.
Not really, high level goblins will take out high level orcs, they hit just as hard, and dodge. If you dont let orcs a chance to use their berserking - goblins can deal with them.

Damned Registrations

The thing that makes warlock shots scary is that they have magic shot. 20 is a lot vs resistance. They get energy control too, and undead mastery. I think dragons might be on par with them, but, they're fucking dragons.

Basically, picture this: Turn one, warlocks have initiative as tier 3 units, they fire 5 shots, either instantly raping a hero or turning all your tier one units into skeletons which now block in the entire enemy army. They probably get some decent spells too, but I've never paid much attention. I know demons get fear though, and having fear cast multiple times in one turn is TOTAL bullshit.

Bulba

Learned
Ghosts man, damn ghosts. If only they had more damage they would be perfect...
There is one thing about ghosts - they do decent damage (15-20) at higher levels (15+) and you do get them at those levels as a summoner (10 from demonology, 5 from necromancy and lots more from gear, even with average gear lvl 20 is possible). they also get a nice health and magic rez making them a true unstoppable machines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom