Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Sentinel

Arcane
They aren't even trying any more. Copy pasted UI and boss with copy pasted Dancer of the Boreal Valley moveset

dukoZPB.png

Holy fuck the boss fights in those videos look TERRIBLE. It seems like they just took some random generic enemy with 2-3 attacks and gave it a HP bar and called it a boss. After Sekiro this is really disappointing.

The average trash mob in Nioh games that you slaughter in the hundreds has 5 times the move pool and seems far more threatening than any of the "bosses" shown in the videos. The only exception seems to be that old guy at the end that summons weapons but even that went down too quickly and easily.
They did not show a single "proper" boss from the main quest asside from Godric the Gold in the last trailer. Previews show mostly mini bosses found through exploration in the very first area. Some of them are shit like that cat-statue or beastmen but some look great like that Tree Sentinel, Stone Troll, diverse knights or the last one in the demo Margit the Fell Omen. You get "foe vanquished" or "great foe vanquished" after killing those mjni bosses found in the open world section of the game. I assume killing those legace dungeon bosses will give something like "heir of fire defeated" etc.

Silva

Arcane
Lol the stealth is moronic. Like, the guy is obviously in plain view of enemies (and in a clanky plate armor!), any idiot would notice him but because he is crounching he's now invisible.

What a low effort shit. At least increase that grass height or something. Right now it's so absurd it's more comical than immersive.

Suicidal

Arcane
Holy fuck the boss fights in those videos look TERRIBLE. It seems like they just took some random generic enemy with 2-3 attacks and gave it a HP bar and called it a boss. After Sekiro this is really disappointing.

The average trash mob in Nioh games that you slaughter in the hundreds has 5 times the move pool and seems far more threatening than any of the "bosses" shown in the videos. The only exception seems to be that old guy at the end that summons weapons but even that went down too quickly and easily.
They did not show a single "proper" boss from the main quest asside from Godric the Gold in the last trailer. Previews show mostly mini bosses found through exploration in the very first area. Some of them are shit like that cat-statue or beastmen but some look great like that Tree Sentinel, Stone Troll, diverse knights or the last one in the demo Margit the Fell Omen. You get "foe vanquished" or "great foe vanquished" after killing those mjni bosses found in the open world section of the game. I assume killing those legace dungeon bosses will give something like "heir of fire defeated" etc.

That's a good point actually, I had forgotten that Sekiro also had mini-bosses that were basically upscaled trash mobs with a unique one here and there so maybe there will be like a dozen or so major bosses with actual thought put into them. That margit guy looked like one, although still seemed underwhelming to me but at least he seemed like a unique enemy and not "thing with axe #124 that does a few swiping attacks and a charge move".

Still I wish that instead of all those reskinned mobs with a boss tag they'd focus their effort on making like 5 more unique bosses. Wasn't a fan of them in Sekiro as well.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Like, the guy is obviously in plain view of enemies (and in a clanky plate armor!), any idiot would notice him but because he is crounching he's now invisible.
You do realize this is how it is in pretty much every modern hybrid game right? Don't expect Thief level of stealth. Unfortunately those days are long gone. This is mainstream gaming now. Take it or leave it as is. And yes, I despise it as well.

Silva

Arcane
Like, the guy is obviously in plain view of enemies (and in a clanky plate armor!), any idiot would notice him but because he is crounching he's now invisible.
You do realize this is how it is in pretty much every modern hybrid game right? Don't expect Thief level of stealth. Unfortunately those days are long gone. This is mainstream gaming now. Take it or leave it as is. And yes, I despise it as well.
Thief? Nigga, this is lazier than the latest AssCreed and Ghost of Sushi.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not gonna lie: the boss fights were pretty trashy.

Edit: some streamer actually said "ER is the Skyrim from From Software" :|

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
No it's not. It's exactly the same. Press button to enter stealth. That's it. This is literally the stealth system in modern games.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
No it's not. It's exactly the same. Press button to enter stealth. That's it. This is literally the stealth system in modern games.

Crouch is THE stealth ninja power move.*

* Things I learned from video games.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
But they are not casualized or popamole games, just good but less inspired iterations with some questionable design choices.

Again, no one said that they've become popamole
But that they are declining hard since BB, which is true

Sekiro doesn't count really because the game is different in vision and design to souls games.

You said:

Every single new FROM release since DS2

So it indeed does count

a load of bullshit

Try to bullshit your way out of this one:

• The most linear of all the games, less branching options than DeS and even BB. Rehashed areas in an already short game (and a third of the game is a swamp). First DLC was a 1.5 hour long disappointment with a rehashed arena. Second DLC had no end despite being the very last dark souls title we'll get for the foreseeable future. Bonfires out the ass. Overall the less replayable game From has made in the last decade;
  • Filled to the brim with shitty references, nostalgiafagging and pandering out the ass;
  • Armor variety is less than DS2 base game, despite copypasting a 3rd of the armors from previous games. The heavy armors are the heaviest they have ever been in the series, while offering basically no additional defense over medium/light sets (in short they suck). The armor system is in general a horrible imbalanced mess;
  • Too many useless fucking stats. Awful scaling balance. Poise working as intended. Equip load is now done by VIT, which for some reason gives less per level than dark souls 2. Some Ultra Great Swords, Great Axes, and Hammers weigh more than entire armor sets. Some weapons have retarded stat requirements where they don't even scale with said stats.
  • Enemy design is overall catered to Bloodborne R1 spam. Enemies have infinite "stamina". And even simple mobs are more troublesome than most Bosses;
  • No backstep i-frame, but rolls cost next to nothing with extremely fast recovery and many iframes;
  • A majority of the small weapons sped up to bloodborne speed, but most of the Great weapons have been made slower and consume more stamina, while barely doing more damage. Straight Swords and Curved Sword are as fast as daggers. Left hand weapons no longer have full movesets. Weapons in general are 90% quality based. These quality weapons are also usually the best weapons in their class, no redeeming qualities for special weapons resulting in less weapon variety than even BB. This also means Boss weapons are shit. Weapon Arts are mostly just special R2's or Powerstance moves copypasted. Very little moveset variation;
  • Magic needs 2-3 ring slots just to dish out melee level damage. Magic itself does reduced damage for PvP. Removes a shit ton of cool spells from the previous game. FP is the most awful casting management system introduced yet (worse than DeS mana, which had better regen options and more efficient), it's horribly ineffiecent with damage, ends up causing everyone to use 1 or 2 FP efficient spell like Great Heavy Soul Arrow. Miracles suck, the best and most viable ones locked behind the final boss. Hexes are gone and dark magic is shit. Overall magic is garbage;
  • Covenants are stickers which can be changed on the go - also awful covenants (ex.: blue sentinels and darkmoons are the exact same). They also have shitty rewards. No blue eye orb. No arena. Dragon form the worst it's ever been in both aesthetic and practical sense - also no Dragon covenant. MLGS is the worst its ever been. The game punishes invaders and encourages ganking;
  • Lowest Boss count after DeS. Half the bosses are the same roll R1 spam fest, the other half are gimmicks...

This "Press X to be invisible" argument against Sekiro is probably something that has just sprout literally fucking yesterday. I couldn't remember a single similar complain in Sekiro thread

Fortunately for me I have a good memory, I do remember having this discussion about stealth in the Sekiro thread
I had even posted a video proving my point, but apparently has been deleted from the site's servers (in any case you conceded this point in the following page, stating that the system was good in " *context* of Fromsoft's games")

3. Again, literally every game that ever exists are rhythm games, because all games are about pressing buttons in some form of pattern vaguely resembling a rhythm, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's quite funny reading past posts like these
You can see in them that generally when anyone brings up the fundamental flaws of Sekiro's combat design, you resort to that inane "every game is actually form of rhythm game lol" instead of arguing against the actual points people make

Also you usually follow that with the: "Sekiro has depth because you can parry/dodge/jump-doge/mikiri/combat art/fist your opponent"
Again ignoring the arguments made that these things the way they are designed don't really enchance the experience properly

except with Sekiro there's a whole lot more than simple deflect/parryable attacks so you also have to jump, dodge, Mikiri, maybe use the prosthetic tools or combat arts

See...

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Bitch pliiiiiis. Ghost of Sushi is an hybrid game (as you call it) and it's stealth is affected by armor type, day/night, vegetation, alertness states, etc. In other words, better than this shit.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Ghost of Sushi is an hybrid game (as you call it) and it's stealth is affected by armor type, day/night, vegetation, alertness states, etc.
Haven't played it. Because it's just Ass Creed with a different name. Armor type? So heavier armors make more noise? That's good. We still don't know if the same is true for Elder Ring. Day and night cycle probably affects NPC schedule? Not anything new and newer games have started to implement this anyway. Vegetation? Yes, you hide in bushes and whatever other type of tall grass I assume (also modern games crap). Alertness states? You mean going from green to yellow to red? Truly riveting stuff. Damn, muh depth. Don't try to present modern shit as anything more than it is: shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom