Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There is no more scathing criticism against modern civilization than the fact that we allowed streaming to become a popular form of entertainment.

Funposter

Arcane
You ever get the feeling that you're not supposed to be somewhere?

FMqWpe8VUAItQWw

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Someone wrote an entire article complaining that while you could play a black character in Elden Ring you couldn't have a "black" hairstyle:

Elden Ring’s character creator fails Black players

You can do just about anything with the character creator except have a Black hairstyle

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/25/22951205/elden-rings-character-creator-black-hairstyles

From Soft's character creators fail all of humanity, not just black people. It's impossible to create a character who doesn't look :prosper:. Their artists are great at creating armor and landscapes, but terrible at creating average looking human faces.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Someone wrote an entire article complaining that while you could play a black character in Elden Ring you couldn't have a "black" hairstyle:

Elden Ring’s character creator fails Black players

You can do just about anything with the character creator except have a Black hairstyle

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/25/22951205/elden-rings-character-creator-black-hairstyles

From Soft's character creators fail all of humanity, not just black people. It's impossible to create a character who doesn't look :prosper:. Their artists are great at creating armor and landscapes, but terrible at creating average looking human faces.

In DS2 there was like only one or two "white" hairstyles. The rest was animu Japofag shit styles lmao. Nobody seemed to care.

Silva

Arcane
I'm actually super short on the low tier smithing stones that let you go up to +3 right now. Sort of annoying as I like to experiment with different weapons.

I've got mountains of the higher tier ones.

you can buy stone +3 from merchant in the hub
And there's a mine that gives infinite amounts of them.

To the south of Limgrave, it's called Morne Tunnel.

Last edited:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Just did the academy and beat Rennala. One of the best bosses in the entire series, my love for the game has been reinvigorated after doing too many catacombs killed it :)

Silva

Arcane
Don't know if this pattern repeats on later areas, but the first one (Limgrave) seems to go fine if you just follow the main roads, and only do side stuff that are near it. This way one can find the most generally useful stuff, and won't get lost on the huge map. So, if you're feeling directionless, stick to the roads (and the main quest, of course).

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I was initially quite frustrated with the open world but I feel like I've found a way to enjoy it. My issue was that I actually went exploring and found very little compared to the time I spent but I kind of approached this as a gothic or elder Scrolls game and that was a mistake.

My take now is that there is very little that is hidden in the traditional sense and most things are clearly telegraphed on the map or can be seen from far away. Just go to the noteworthy spots and look around a little and you'll find the location with the content. Don't go looking for shit in the wilderness, there is nothing there, or if there is then it's not worth the time spent looking for it.

The landscapes are there to be pretty to look at while you ride around.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
So, there aren't quest markers on the map, but magic arrows, which are visible not only on the map, but in the world too. Interesting design choice...
I think Morrowind is still the best open-world in this aspect.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My take now is that there is very little that is hidden in the traditional sense and most things are clearly telegraphed on the map or can be seen from far away. Just go to the noteworthy spots and look around a little and you'll find the location with the content. Don't go looking for shit in the wilderness, there is nothing there, or if there is then it's not worth the time spent looking for it.
For me, the best thing to do when approaching a new region is to:

1 - set a waypoint on the obelisk that holds the map fragment (usually you can clearly see it in the world map as it's the only visible details) and go straight there to pick it up;
2 - take a quick look at the map and make a list of the landmarks that stand out (buildings, caves, graveyards, weird shit that's telegraphed in the map);
3 - set a waypoint on the first landmark on the list and go straight there;
4 - explore it, remove it from the list, and, if there is a landmark left, go back to point 3.

Then, while traveling from a landmark to the next one, I look around to see if there are clearly visible items, interesting packs of enemies, or clearly visible new landmarks that didn't appear in the world map (but that's almost never the case). Whenever I can't explore or interact with something because I lack an item or haven't progressed enough through the story or a questline, I leave a green marker on the map for later.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm actually super short on the low tier smithing stones that let you go up to +3 right now. Sort of annoying as I like to experiment with different weapons.

I've got mountains of the higher tier ones.

you can buy stone +3 from merchant in the hub

You can after doing the
crystal mine by the academy
The boss drops a bell that unlocks unlimited +3 and +6 stones from the weird merchant twins in the hub.

Ivan

Arcane
game world is gargantuan. very easy to get sidetracked.

finished Radahn fight

hilariously little detail:
if you summon Patches, he nopes out soon after lol

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
After having killed three dragons, fought one that fled once its hp got close to 0 (what the fuck? I couldn't find the fucker once it did that), and met a fifth dragon whose only new gimmick is a larger AoE of the rot element, I have decided to : take good note of those of you who praise this stuff and remember it the next time you shit on DS2 for cloning some. This is skyrim with dark souls combat mechanics. The cloned mini dungeons with teleporting exit, the copy pasta everywhere on a large overworld, the hunting for item upgrades..

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Kinda feel bad for the people mindscrewing themselves into thinking this isn't a great game because of muh open-world tropes. 99% of open-world games are indeed shit, this one is not.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Kinda feel bad for the people mindscrewing themselves into thinking this isn't a great game because of muh open-world tropes. 99% of open-world games are indeed shit, this one is not.
Alright fuckheads I'll play it.
If it manages to be a good game despite this godawful open world gimmick, I vow to eat my socks on camera.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
That was me earlier but the game becomes less muh open world tropes as it goes on it seems. Limgrave has the lowest amount of original content and the highest amount of standard open world activities. Caelid on the other hand feels like an open world Dark Souls level, and is truly desolate. Right when I was getting fatigued the game started throwing lots of twists and new areas at me that made it interesting.

If the quality keeps up this will be the best open world game since Morrowind tbh

Curratum

I thought I was overlevelled for Margit at 26 with that +7 spear, but 20 fire resins later, it turns out this is not the case.

Why are summons so absolutely useless? I tried both the jellyfish and the NPC in front of the gate. The boss was comboing the jellyfish, then turned around mid-combo and killed me while I was just approaching from behind, without even hitting him yet.

Maybe I need one or two more flasks to kill him... Or maybe the game needs to run at more than 45 fps in that fight so I can react to those bullshit attacks...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why are summons so absolutely useless?

Most early summons are just there to take the damage, just wait for boss to change its attack to summon. And yeah, enemies quickly turn to you after attacking even once.
But there are really powerful summons (especialy the one from Ulcerated Tree Spirit) and you can upgrade theri stats. Though that become possible only after killing Margit and finding a certain NPC after him.

Margit gets damaged fast with bleeding attacks and can be poisoned. Jellyfish es poison with some basic bleed attacks makes quick work of him. If you survive his combos :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom