Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Perkel

Arcane
Kinda feel bad for the people mindscrewing themselves into thinking this isn't a great game because of muh open-world tropes. 99% of open-world games are indeed shit, this one is not.

Because in scale of Gothic(best) to mmorpg(worst) open worlds. There are about 1 in 100. This was also my take early when i heard about it.

"they can't possibly do both, they have to compromise"

In this case they did not. Not only game features open world but also they quality and quantity of level designed areas went through the roof.

Shrimp

Arbiter
The game just keeps impressing me with new locales and set pieces. I've reached the point where I'm no longer impressed by the random overworld dungeons, but every time I reach a new area I'm impressed by how different they are while having their own tone and atmosphere. Even some of the unconventional means of reaching the areas have caught me by surprise.
The adventurous feeling reminds me a lot of DS2 because of the he wide variety of areas you encounter. Even if the game still has the same old big castles and undead humans it makes up for it by sending you on an actual adventure rather than having you trek from one city to the next like in DS3.

Perkel

Arcane
The adventurous feeling reminds me a lot of DS2 because of the he wide variety of areas you encounter.

This is true on other hand it doesn't have DS2 problem with how areas are stringed together. Every area connect and flows to each other very well and sometimes you get surprised how areas are tied together.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Healing incantations don't seem to heal your steed, or maybe it's an imperceptible amount.

:deadhorse:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Damn, they placed some strong enemies at the beginning of the game. The rider one strikes hard, kiling you in one hit. I appreciate the effort of encouraging the player to explore if he wants to improve their character, I found a lot of cool things doing it.

Silentstorm

Learned
Healing incantations don't seem to heal your steed, or maybe it's an imperceptible amount.

I think only items work, i have some raisins that supposedly heal my horse but i rarely if ever let it actually get hurt enough to require healing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I need some guidance.

One of my closest friends asked me if I wanted to co-op Elden Ring. We're mostly interested if we can play together from start to finish, barring any tutorials.

So in short: Can you co-op the game with a friend?

Villagkouras

Arcane
Starting tomorrow, I need to get my shit together, I have work and a wife, I'm addicted to the game, I've played 25 hours since Friday evening.

I haven't had this amount of gaming for a good while.

The phone rings from friends or family and I want to murder them because they interrupt me.

The game is incredible. I don't know what else to say. How are they going to top this, ever?

The only thing that I found a bit underwhelming was:

The moving mausoleum

Jackpot

Learned
Damn, they placed some strong enemies at the beginning of the game. The rider one strikes hard, killing you in one hit. I appreciate the effort of encouraging the player to stubbornly try killing it over and over again before leveling up or finding new weapons, I found a lot of anger doing it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I need some guidance.

One of my closest friends asked me if I wanted to co-op Elden Ring. We're mostly interested if we can play together from start to finish, barring any tutorials.

Yes, but with big caveats. IIRC, you can't play the entire game in co-op uninterrupted. After you finish certain areas or bosses, your co-op summons disappear and you'll have to resummon them later. There also may be areas that block summons.

This has been part of Fromsoft's design philosophy for some time now, although I do wish seamless co-op was in the game.

I haven't actually touched multiplayer yet, so someone who has will probably know more.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS EARLY SHIT TAKE

RESTARTED LIKE 5 TIMES

HARD ENOUGH THAT I COULDNT GO NAKED IM OLD AND SUCK MAYBR

EXPLORATION IS MANY GOOD SO FAR BUT I AM VERY EARLY

NEW ITEMS ARE RARER THAN I LIKE AND LESS THAN OTHER GAMES

BROS FINALLY I HAVE DAYS OFF ILL BE PLAYING

TwoEdge

Scholar
I need some guidance.

Yes, but with big caveats. IIRC, you can't play the entire game in co-op uninterrupted. After you finish certain areas or bosses, your co-op summons disappear and you'll have to resummon them later. There also may be areas that block summons.

This has been part of Fromsoft's design philosophy for some time now, although I do wish seamless co-op was in the game.

I haven't actually touched multiplayer yet, so someone who has will probably know more.

You also can't ride your horse in co-op.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
As long as you're not just riding your horse through it as fast as you can, you're going to find a lot of fun and interesting encounter design too. I spend the majority of my time on foot.
I think this is key. Areas feel completely different if you're just blasting through them on your horse versus creeping along on foot. Not talking about the big overland distances, but when the overland tightens up a little in places, either for an obvious setpiece (like a camp or tower) or a more designed looking bit of wilderness, going through it on foot feels much more like stock Dark Souls.

As an example, I got ambushed by some tiny fuckers in a wooded area near Raya Lucaria. Initially I was rolling through on my horse thinking I was just in some standard overland part and got ambushed, knocked off, and killed. When I went back for my souls, I dismounted and crept through the area and it legit felt like I was in a classic Dark Souls level with considered enemy placement and classic DS surprise enemy attacks.

Obviously riding through everything on a horse makes shit easier a lot of the time. It's not always as fun tho

Tyrr

Liturgist
As long as you're not just riding your horse through it as fast as you can, you're going to find a lot of fun and interesting encounter design too. I spend the majority of my time on foot.
I think this is key. Areas feel completely different if you're just blasting through them on your horse versus creeping along on foot. Not talking about the big overland distances, but when the overland tightens up a little in places, either for an obvious setpiece (like a camp or tower) or a more designed looking bit of wilderness, going through it on foot feels much more like stock Dark Souls.

As an example, I got ambushed by some tiny fuckers in a wooded area near Raya Lucaria. Initially I was rolling through on my horse thinking I was just in some standard overland part and got ambushed, knocked off, and killed. When I went back for my souls, I dismounted and crept through the area and it legit felt like I was in a classic Dark Souls level with considered enemy placement and classic DS surprise enemy attacks.

Obviously riding through everything on a horse makes shit easier a lot of the time. It's not always as fun tho
One of my future playthroughs will be on-foot only. (Outside a few fights I feel were designed for mounted combat)

BlackGoat

Arbiter
I need some guidance.

Also, progress isn't shared between players so you'll need to go thru each location twice

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Urgent Heal doesn't, but Heal does.

Did some testing, and I think it's because Torrent has a lot of HP, and heal spells do less healing (looks like a 3:1 ratio?) on NPCs than the player, so it's very negligible. Not worth the FP at any rate.

Sometimes I wish From was more transparent about how their mechanics work, but there is a huge subset of the community that loves figuring it out.

ferratilis

Magister
So, this game will be fixed on Linux before it gets updated by FromSoft on Windows. This has to be a first, and for a AAA game, no less.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...ux-including-online-features/?sh=365592081aaf
Valve and Linux: Doing What Windows Won’t
Where the Linux gaming story continues to impress, however, is the direct control Valve has over performance and optimizations. If you’re a PC gamer trying to play Elden Ring, you’ve undoubtedly experienced severe framerate drops and stuttering during combat. It’s a deal-breaker for a Souls-like game.

Well, Valve is solving that for Linux gamers.

“The graphics team has been hard at work on optimizing ELDEN RING for Steam Deck,” writes Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais on Twitter. “Fixes for heavy stutter during background streaming of assets will be available in a Proton release next week, but are available to test now on the bleeding-edge branch of Experimental.”

(Author’s Note: This is basically the beta branch on Steam for the Proton Experimental tool.)

One Twitter user was understandably puzzled by the tweet, assuming that Linux would inherit the same issues a game experiences on Windows. It is basically running the Windows version of the game, after all, albeit with a compatibility layer in between that translates things Linux can understand.

Pierre-Loup Griffais replied with a breath of fresh air: “It is, but still possible to optimize/mitigate in the various driver layers,” he said.

And this right here is why Valve’s decade-long Linux initiative is so important. Because Proton is open source and has the Vulkan graphics API driving it, Valve and its Linux team can execute rapid-fire fixes like this one.

Already, Elden Ring is running better on Linux than it is on Windows, and the developers had nothing to do with the improvements. While I’m positive From Software will be issuing patches that correct the lousy state of the PC port, Valve is more nimble, and Linux users reap the benefits.

Silva

Arcane
So,
Lands Between = Garden of Eden,
Erdtree = Tree of Life,
Tarnished = Sinners,
Christian god = Godfrey,
Lucifer = ...don't know yet, but probably the one who put the rupture in motion.

So far I'm not a fan of this "old testament in tolkien clothes" thing, but Martin and Miyazaki deserve the benefit of the doubt, so I'll hold judgement until more of the lore is revealed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom