Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It gets under my skin so much that faggot redditors will spend gigabytes bitching about bleed and especially rivers of blood, but won't acknowledge that BHS is far and way the most broken, game sullying shit From has ever done. Bleed is OP -- everyone knows it -- but you can counter bleedfags just by playing better.

But BHS is ridiculous. It trivializes PVE, so many fucking faggots think they melted some boss and are like "hurr durr that was easy" yeah of course the game is easy when you have a cheat code for the mechanics you spastic.

And then the damage it does to PVP is profound. There's no "counter" to BHS, there's just turning 30 second engagements into boring 5 minute affairs with the benny hill music playing in the background because you've got to chase these fags down repeatedly across the map until they FINALLY exhaust all their blue and chugs. There's your "counter" bro. If someone competent is using BHS, forget about it. You might as well just alt f4.

If they nerf it, how am I gonna keep up with this game's speed and bosses with dual Colossal Swords?
I NEED the Step to stand a chance :P

Otherwise I will need to revert to spamming some broken ability like Hoarfrost Stomp again untill they all die.

I run dual colossal swords. It's certainly far more challenging (and sometimes a lot more boring) than anything else in the game but its not unviable the way people make it out. If you're powerstancing colossals you're getting 2x damage on every l1. If you do a jumping l1, it's insane damage and especially posture damage. I've yet to meet a boss that was so fast you couldn't get at least one attack in, and most of the colossals have the roll/crouch r1 poke for when the window is too small for anything else.

But with dual colossals I'm pretty much stuck with fatroll (unless I wore light armor or something - and I suck too much to do this). Too slow without the Step.
Though in most PvE its actually okay. Unless facing some Black Knives, Crucibles, Godskins or those frozen reavers turned normal mobs. Or bosses....
Of course, for bosses there are the Wonderous Flasks that give light encumbrance - but I still struggle greatly. Maybe I suck too much.

Have you tried Radahn's? That's what they are for - paired colossal swords for the weight of just one.

The Radahn's swords are a huge trap IMO.
They are short, they don't have pokes, can't two-hand one of them, the WA is flashy and deals significant damage BUT will often lead to trading and I guess its probably entirely useless vs bosses.
Avoid like the plague IMO.

Jump attack

Yeah, those are strong. And I've actually caved in and started using them sometimes. But I'm not gonna jump everywhere all the time... I'm not playing a freaking Super Mario FFS

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Funny how much you can explore without killing any bosses.\
oQ4Yucq.png
How did you get to the outskirts of the royal capital without defeating the tree sentinel?

Andnjord

Arcane
Edit : reading more of the notes, they've also changed almost all spells across the board to either cast faster, have less recovery time, or both in some cases. I have a feeling that months from now this game might be unrecognizable.
And hyper-armour too, don't forget about that. No more getting knocked on your ass by a rat just as you're summoning the wrath of ancient God-Dragons on their faces.
I don't know about sorceries, but for incantations the vast majority of spells were sadly almost impossible to use against bosses due to how painfully slow and lacking in hyper-armour they were, to the point that the only spells I was still using when I could be bothered with it were Lightning Spear and more recently Black Flame (which is why I thought of trying the Godslayer's Greatsword). Even then damage would pale in comparison to just doing dual curved swords and jumping jacks, so that's a VERY welcome buff to incantations.
As for sorceries maybe my heart won't sink quite as low next time I see a sorcerer summoning me for a boss.

Also, talk about good timing, they're buffing Colossal Swords just as I'm about to use the Godslayer's Greatsword (which is a colossal despite its name, thanks From) to kill a god :incline:

EDIT:
  • The Queen’s Black Flame - Increased cast speed. Added a window to roll during the attack to cancel the animation.

Even better!

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i gotta say, while errors still happen, connection does feel a bit more stable. Could be a fluke but i was finally able to complete the Fallingstar Beast a few times, which was impossible before as i got an error in the middle of it at least 70% of the times.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
It gets under my skin so much that faggot redditors will spend gigabytes bitching about bleed and especially rivers of blood, but won't acknowledge that BHS is far and way the most broken, game sullying shit From has ever done. Bleed is OP -- everyone knows it -- but you can counter bleedfags just by playing better.

But BHS is ridiculous. It trivializes PVE, so many fucking faggots think they melted some boss and are like "hurr durr that was easy" yeah of course the game is easy when you have a cheat code for the mechanics you spastic.

And then the damage it does to PVP is profound. There's no "counter" to BHS, there's just turning 30 second engagements into boring 5 minute affairs with the benny hill music playing in the background because you've got to chase these fags down repeatedly across the map until they FINALLY exhaust all their blue and chugs. There's your "counter" bro. If someone competent is using BHS, forget about it. You might as well just alt f4.

If they nerf it, how am I gonna keep up with this game's speed and bosses with dual Colossal Swords?

Otherwise I will need to revert to spamming some broken ability like Hoarfrost Stomp again untill they all die.

I run dual colossal swords. It's certainly far more challenging (and sometimes a lot more boring) than anything else in the game but its not unviable the way people make it out. If you're powerstancing colossals you're getting 2x damage on every l1. If you do a jumping l1, it's insane damage and especially posture damage. I've yet to meet a boss that was so fast you couldn't get at least one attack in, and most of the colossals have the roll/crouch r1 poke for when the window is too small for anything else.

But with dual colossals I'm pretty much stuck with fatroll (unless I wore light armor or something - and I suck too much to do this). Too slow without the Step.
Though in most PvE its actually okay. Unless facing some Black Knives, Crucibles, Godskins or those frozen reavers turned normal mobs. Or bosses....
Of course, for bosses there are the Wonderous Flasks that give light encumbrance - but I still struggle greatly. Maybe I suck too much.

Have you tried Radahn's? That's what they are for - paired colossal swords for the weight of just one.

They are short, they don't have pokes, can't two-hand one of them, the WA is flashy and deals significant damage BUT costs a shitton of FP (you pay twice if you want to deal damage), will often lead to trading and I guess its probably entirely useless vs bosses.

I main them now. I initially thought like you, but I was wrong.

Anyway, of course you cant two hand them - you are powerstancing two for the weight of one colossal. That's huge, all the benefits of powerstancing while still being able to get a med roll in good armor like radahns, veterans etc. I can even go full bull goat with arsenal on, but I don't because I like to keep a pulley crossbow with sleep darts ready for rivers of blood fags.

The sword DOES have a poke, the same poke every other colossal sword has but you need to switch to one hand. The range is deceptive, if you're just looking at the moveset in a vacuum it looks very short and choppy, but against actual opponents there is decent range.. WA not useless on bosses, just like everything else with colossal timing and position is everything, think of it like a fully charged r2. If you can get a window to land the 2nd part of the WA, its devastating and I think there's hyperarmor during the mid animation, I can't remember ever being staggered during the 2nd attack.
(albeit, I think ruins greatsword WA is better for dealing with bosses, because range is king always and forever)

((P.S patch 1.04 just dropped and one of the major changes is a speed buff to colossals, lmao lmao lmao))

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Do those changes effect enemies as well?

A lot of them use the same weapons and spells available to the player after all.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

They are short, they don't have pokes, can't two-hand one of them, the WA is flashy and deals significant damage BUT costs a shitton of FP (you pay twice if you want to deal damage), will often lead to trading and I guess its probably entirely useless vs bosses.

I main them now. I initially thought like you, but I was wrong.

Anyway, of course you cant two hand them - you are powerstancing two for the weight of one colossal. That's huge, all the benefits of powerstancing while still being able to get a med roll in good armor like radahns, veterans etc. I can even go full bull goat with arsenal on, but I don't because I like to keep a pulley crossbow with sleep darts ready for rivers of blood fags.

The sword DOES have a poke, the same poke every other colossal sword has but you need to switch to one hand. The range is deceptive, if you're just looking at the moveset in a vacuum it looks very short and choppy, but against actual opponents there is decent range.. WA not useless on bosses, just like everything else with colossal timing and position is everything, think of it like a fully charged r2. If you can get a window to land the 2nd part of the WA, its devastating and I think there's hyperarmor during the mid animation, I can't remember ever being staggered during the 2nd attack.
(albeit, I think ruins greatsword WA is better for dealing with bosses, because range is king always and forever)

((P.S patch 1.04 just dropped and one of the major changes is a speed buff to colossals, lmao lmao lmao))

Well, I don't have the Dexterity to repeatedly switch between dual-wielding and single wielding. Won't switch just to get a poke out.
Main hand Greatsword will let me do that without switching stances - with like double the reach.

I will also enchant my swords with element of choice to fight current enemies and will switch WAs as I like. Including the life-saving Bloodhound's Step.
Of course upgrading two regular weapons to +25 was a major pain. But I've endured.

And well, speaking of broken stuff, the Winged Tear that makes you light roll under full encumbrance is pretty sweet - and means than when you really need to, you don't have to worry about the weight of dual colossals much.

Last edited:
Decreased the effect of Greatshield Talisman for weapons with high block rate.
They should probably just make it a scaling flat number instead of a x1.1 multiplier. Might actually give you a reason to use the talisman with a smaller shield. Pretty well thought out on From's part otherwise. It kills the constant easy 100 for a fully upgraded Fingerprint Stone (I've tested it post patch) but manages to sidestep a hard nerf to greatshields.

Incidentally running that shield illustrates how integral input reading is to ER's combat. Fought the evergaol Godrick clone with it a few days ago. Noticed when I had the shield up he would repeatedly walk around in front of me with his axe at full wind up. Lasted around 4ish seconds each time before starting the axe smash combo, looked very strange. Presumably the AI is trying to bait an attack or roll knowing that it'll hit instantly on release since it can't break your block easily but because it can't you force the maximum allowed delay each time by holding the block. You get similar behaviours with other enemies but that was the most striking example.

Last edited:
Anyone catch this Zullie video yet?

If Ulcerated Tree Spirits were originally a boss version of DS3's Pus of Man that explains their godawful spazzy moveset.

People complain about fighting them in a confiined space but honestly the 3 in Ashen Capital were worse. The amount of space in that combat arena gives them ample room to slither away. They're a dull enough enemy already without having to chase the fuckers around on foot à la Elden Beast.

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist
Guys, I did it. I won a 1v1 pvp duel with my Greataxe (terrible weapon btw). No estus flasks used.

For some reason atleast 60%, if not more, of my invasions were either 2v2 or 1v2. And there is so much unbalanced shit. DS2 was way better, even DS1 imo.

illuknisaa

Cipher
They should probably just make it a scaling flat number instead of a x1.1 multiplier. Might actually give you a reason to use the talisman with a smaller shield. Pretty well thought out on From's part otherwise. It kills the constant easy 100 for a fully upgraded Fingerprint Stone (I've tested it post patch) but manages to sidestep a hard nerf to greatshields.

Honestly the talisman felt kinda pointless to me. The 10% boost is very little and you are sacrificing a talisman slot for it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know if it's a bug or it's intended, but the last patch might have heavily nerfed the Elden Beast. Up until today, it would always start its "holy" phase after the first breath attack. I just fought it for the first time after the patch and now, after the initial breath attack, it tried to execute its sword combo two times (while, usually, it would always go for his magic "ring" attack, initiating phase 2), giving me plenty of time to bring it to less than 1/4th of its health bar. Maybe it was just a random bug, but it basically began its phase 2 only with a sliver of health remaining and the whole encounter was over before a single "holy" magic attack.

Honestly the talisman felt kinda pointless to me. The 10% boost is very little and you are sacrificing a talisman slot for it.

Before this change, it was not pointless at all. It shined against heavy hitting machine-gun type enemies (e.g. Crucible Knight, Bell Bearing Hunters, etc). The several % points of extra guard boost lowered their stamina damage just enough to give you a chance to withstand their spamfest.

Prepatch it was worth it to get to 100% guard boost on a FSS without the hassle of grease or incantations. Somewhat useful early game too in my experience. Upgrade mats are tight then and player stamina is low enough that every point of guard matters for a shield user. As noted I think a flat bonus to guard boost that scales down at higher base guard values would make it a more competitive choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom