Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Wunderbar

Arcane
DeS, DaS and DaS2 were about adventurers overcoming obstacles with their wits.
DaS3, BB and Sekiro are about players memorizing attack patterns and abusing enemy AI.

Black Angel

Arcane
DaS2 was unfinished but a step in the right direction (Majula, new animations, weapons variety, Bonfire Ascetics, Power Stance, PvP gameplay, non-retarded NG+). Soul Memory was crap but the game genuinely tried to expand on the original formula.

On the other hand BB and Sekiro were born from stripping down Dark Souls original formula while some flashy shit (martial arts, prosthetics) was added to cover for the missing features.

They are good games but they tend to incline towards twitch gameplay while on the other hand I'm interested in a slower and methodical approach like in DaS or DaS2.

To be blunt: I don't care about BB or Sekiro despite the fact that I've put many hours in both of them. I want FromSw to go back to the original formula and try to expand on that or at least recreate it. That's it.
And still you insist to judge Bloodborne/Sekiro on the basis of Dark Souls formula. The way I see it you're acting as if Bloodborne and Sekiro committed some kind of crimes for stripping some features from that original formula, while not properly acknowledging the new stuff in place and dismissed them as 'flashy shit'.

Again, I could've understand your criticisms, if only slightly, if Bloodborne and Sekiro were designed and released to bear the name of 'Dark Souls' with them. But unfortunately for you, at the end of the day, they aren't Souls. Bloodborne is Bloodborne, and Sekiro is Sekiro. Period. No matter how you try to spun your arguments, it's just so baffling to see you and some other Codexers headstrongly insists on treating and criticizing Bloodborne and Sekiro as if they're sequels of Dark Souls. Hell, they aren't even designed to be spiritual successors to Dark Souls, the way Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls.

It is the hardest.
The combat gameplay is, but we also have to acknowledge that in everything else, like exploration, has actually been streamlined when compared to Soulsborne:
And yet, in regards to noncombat aspects, like exploration for example, Sekiro is much, much easier compared to Soulsborne. Actual jumping mechanics AND actual stealth mechanics, instead of some convoluted means of doing so like holding the sprint button then press it again to jump, and walking instead of running to 'sneak' like in Soulsborne, significantly simplified Sekiro's moment-to-moment gameplay in comparison. It's really great that they weave it into one another, with how you can have your back against the wall or a cliff, or even hang on to a ledge to sneak around. And then there's the fact that you won't outright die if you fall off a cliff, instead losing chunks of health as a result. AND the fact that you could loot off ALL corpses around you with a simple holding down a button, instead of having to come up to each corpses one by one if they aren't piled up. Also, the fact that there's no stamina bar which commonly exhausted by sprinting and jumping also streamlined exploration. Unfortunately with all this streamlining and implementation of actual jumping and stealth mechanics, the amount and quality of the content they've made didn't really make it worth it for exploration in comparison to Soulsborne.
Just to clarify, specifically the addition of actual jumping and stealth mechanics, complete with their own buttons, aren't actually a streamlining that somehow makes the game easier in comparison to Soulsborne, nor that I said, somehow, the game is now easy at all.

These are some of the mechanics I'd love to see carry over to Elden Ring (or whatever new projects they're cooking in their kitchen), because no way in hell I'll return to 'tilt the analogue button slightly/hold the walk button on PC to walk softly behind an enemy to 'sneak'' and 'hold the sprint button then immediately press it again to jump' like in Soulsborne. That, together with the return of emphasize on RPG mechanics, preferably an expansion of Dark Souls 1 action-RPG formula (complete with its general speed, equip load, poise, etc etc) and whatever improvements they've had with the sequels (personally, I'd like to see DS2's powerstancing, and DS3's weapon arts but in a way where we can assign different combat art like Sekiro or from a selection of few at a time for each weapon types).

Black Angel

Arcane
I feel like I'm the only person in the entire world who never gave a fuck about powerstancing.
It's one way to make dual-wielding an actual thing. It's not exactly a playstyle in Dark Souls 1, while Dark Souls 3 streamlined it by limiting it to just a few weapons.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I have no idea what most of you are talking about since the last From Software game I finished was Kings Field 3. I just hope I finally get to play a new open world RPG that wasn't made by Ubisoft or some incompetent Eurojank dev, it's been too long...

Child of Malkav

Erudite
DaS2 was unfinished but a step in the right direction (Majula, new animations, weapons variety, Bonfire Ascetics, Power Stance, PvP gameplay, non-retarded NG+). Soul Memory was crap but the game genuinely tried to expand on the original formula.

On the other hand BB and Sekiro were born from stripping down Dark Souls original formula while some flashy shit (martial arts, prosthetics) was added to cover for the missing features.

They are good games but they tend to incline towards twitch gameplay while on the other hand I'm interested in a slower and methodical approach like in DaS or DaS2.

To be blunt: I don't care about BB or Sekiro despite the fact that I've put many hours in both of them. I want FromSw to go back to the original formula and try to expand on that or at least recreate it. That's it.
And still you insist to judge Bloodborne/Sekiro on the basis of Dark Souls formula. The way I see it you're acting as if Bloodborne and Sekiro committed some kind of crimes for stripping some features from that original formula, while not properly acknowledging the new stuff in place and dismissed them as 'flashy shit'.

Again, I could've understand your criticisms, if only slightly, if Bloodborne and Sekiro were designed and released to bear the name of 'Dark Souls' with them. But unfortunately for you, at the end of the day, they aren't Souls. Bloodborne is Bloodborne, and Sekiro is Sekiro. Period. No matter how you try to spun your arguments, it's just so baffling to see you and some other Codexers headstrongly insists on treating and criticizing Bloodborne and Sekiro as if they're sequels of Dark Souls. Hell, they aren't even designed to be spiritual successors to Dark Souls, the way Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls.

It is the hardest.
The combat gameplay is, but we also have to acknowledge that in everything else, like exploration, has actually been streamlined when compared to Soulsborne:
And yet, in regards to noncombat aspects, like exploration for example, Sekiro is much, much easier compared to Soulsborne. Actual jumping mechanics AND actual stealth mechanics, instead of some convoluted means of doing so like holding the sprint button then press it again to jump, and walking instead of running to 'sneak' like in Soulsborne, significantly simplified Sekiro's moment-to-moment gameplay in comparison. It's really great that they weave it into one another, with how you can have your back against the wall or a cliff, or even hang on to a ledge to sneak around. And then there's the fact that you won't outright die if you fall off a cliff, instead losing chunks of health as a result. AND the fact that you could loot off ALL corpses around you with a simple holding down a button, instead of having to come up to each corpses one by one if they aren't piled up. Also, the fact that there's no stamina bar which commonly exhausted by sprinting and jumping also streamlined exploration. Unfortunately with all this streamlining and implementation of actual jumping and stealth mechanics, the amount and quality of the content they've made didn't really make it worth it for exploration in comparison to Soulsborne.
Just to clarify, specifically the addition of actual jumping and stealth mechanics, complete with their own buttons, aren't actually a streamlining that somehow makes the game easier in comparison to Soulsborne, nor that I said, somehow, the game is now easy at all.

These are some of the mechanics I'd love to see carry over to Elden Ring (or whatever new projects they're cooking in their kitchen), because no way in hell I'll return to 'tilt the analogue button slightly/hold the walk button on PC to walk softly behind an enemy to 'sneak'' and 'hold the sprint button then immediately press it again to jump' like in Soulsborne. That, together with the return of emphasize on RPG mechanics, preferably an expansion of Dark Souls 1 action-RPG formula (complete with its general speed, equip load, poise, etc etc) and whatever improvements they've had with the sequels (personally, I'd like to see DS2's powerstancing, and DS3's weapon arts but in a way where we can assign different combat art like Sekiro or from a selection of few at a time for each weapon types).
In the leaked videos we can see jumping and sneaking so those are back at least.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Elder Ring needs to return to Dark Soul. They can still go the Sekiro path i mean they got two teams there's no reason they couldn't go both ways at the same time.

If Elder Ring streamlines the exploration or character building options even more they might as well just stop bothering with the RPG part altogether.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elder Ring needs to return to Dark Soul. They can still go the Sekiro path i mean they got two teams there's no reason they couldn't go both ways at the same time.

If Elder Ring streamlines the exploration or character building options even more they might as well just stop bothering with the RPG part altogether.
sekiro never advertises itself as RPG tbh. i don't like it that much too for the same reason most dark souls fans (that doesn't like sekiro) but it really never sell itself as RPG

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

They said repeatedly that Sekiro was an action game.

I'm sure Elden Ring will have all the RPG elements. No reason to think otherwise.

Grimlorn

Arcane

They said repeatedly that Sekiro was an action game.

I'm sure Elden Ring will have all the RPG elements. No reason to think otherwise.
well they already said it will be a minimalist game with regards to NPCs like the Souls games. So imagine a Souls game that's open world but empty with no towns, npcs or quests to do. No story and minimal lore through item descriptions. Sounds pretty dumb. Souls games worked because they were more of the dungeon crawl type. Everything was tightly woven together. An open world game in this vein shouldn't be good at all, unless they're just lying in the marketing and by open world they mean everything is connected and you can go anywhere at the beginning of the game similar to Dark Souls 1 but with more connections.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/549066037

Won't be at any event - it will be dropped and pushed via Bandai & FROMs media channels You will see a hint at this posted via the same channels in the week beforehand which they expect to drive major viral hype Release date is end of August - old gen, new gen & PC versions are all releasing at the same time ... The official reveal has little in common with the pre-alpha internal footage that was recently leaked Mixes FROMs high cinematic value with gameplay, with hints at new and expanded features to the souls series including: Camps (portable bonfires), day-night cycles, dynamic open-world AI and increased MP covenant importance"

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
hky2rg7twqo61.png

Q9FlkDWSiIkC9YD6kpcWVffZVdKX8WLi0-z781fZ9md7w8yhxvBnPkEV1VFLQfGWl4SdX-dgwYTfJ8QUSGwQabPkXrxmNWknu1iM4Lpfr6DVn3moLDMhxdhSiyYwpLkwJhJhLBvcXG68Y-utBB_arOoT-GiGgOzRsDk

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DeS, DaS and DaS2 were about adventurers overcoming obstacles with their wits.
DaS3, BB and Sekiro are about players memorizing attack patterns and abusing enemy AI.
I will not willingly argue that you can beat Dark Souls by memorizing patterns and abusing AI, but I will applaud the amazing bait.

We talked about this but Dark Souls gives you more leeway to mess around with builds.

That's really the problem with DS3.

Some may argue you can get away with different playstyles in DS1 because bosses are easier. Possibly but the fact remains that in DS1, every piece of gear you find, every weapon or armor set is a possible future build or character. Cosplay builds are as much about looking fancy as they are about trying different play styles or challenges.

In DS3, you have two kind of builds. R1 spamming builds or builds that use hyperarmor (mostly seen in PvP). That's it. Gear is mostly irrelevant, armor literally does nothing, cosplay builds are mostly about wasting points on a useless stat to make you look fancy, assuming you care about the look of heavier armors otherwise you are fine with light armor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom