Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Turn_BASED

Educated
So I return to this to try the colossea and what, nobody is playing the team modes in Caelid? Been trying to gather a team for 10 minutes at least
What’s your level? Might not be a ton of action at it.

Also the team fights are a total shitshow with all the AoE effects. This game went full retard with ashes of war and spells, which is fine if you want to just do PvE. But the online play sucks balls with all the cancerous stuff.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I return to this to try the colossea and what, nobody is playing the team modes in Caelid? Been trying to gather a team for 10 minutes at least

Also the team fights are a total shitshow with all the AoE effects. This game went full retard with ashes of war and spells, which is fine if you want to just do PvE. But the online play sucks balls with all the cancerous stuff.
This doesn't surprise me, even 1v1 pvp sucks ass because of all that shit. Not sure if it's still a thing, but for a bit, people were going back to DS3 for pvp as I recall.

Turn_BASED

Educated

This doesn't surprise me, even 1v1 pvp sucks ass because of all that shit. Not sure if it's still a thing, but for a bit, people were going back to DS3 for pvp as I recall.
Check out this clusterfuck

https://youtu.be/Gt3Zwn3fDQs

The only fun to be had is at SL 20 with +3 weapons at the max. Even then you’ll run into people running the same meta sets who downloaded SL1 all items saves.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

The only fun to be had is at SL 20 with +3 weapons at the max. Even then you’ll run into people running the same meta sets who downloaded SL1 all items saves.
Not even low lvl pvp in this game is fun.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's too fucky. Damage too high, health too low, trash of war spam trivializes everything. Fun over the top open world PVE game. Sucks balls for PVP.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
It's too fucky. Damage too high, health too low, trash of war spam trivializes everything. Fun over the top open world PVE game. Sucks balls for PVP.
This game was just not made with pvp in mind. And it really shows.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Seems extremely complicated to randomize this game without making it a mess

I didn't say it was easy and probably not really something that can be done in near future.

It isn't really something FS didn't try. Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne were effectively that. Roguelike mode with randomly generated dungeons with unique boss at end of dungeon. The issue with it was that they had only 4 themes and puzzles which were build off were pretty limited.
As long as it felt "fresh" aka you didn't learn dungeons setup and you didn't see everything it played great.

Alas they went into opposite direction. Increase massively world so that you have to pick and choose instead of doing everything. It works in similar way but has a limit aka you doing everything and knowing everything where is and how to fight.
It would be interesting if they could further develop randomized areas like chalice dungeons, but only if they kept them limited to discrete areas and avoided excessively affecting the rest of the game. For me, a major strength of Souls games is intricate worldbuilding, and this would be degraded from randomization unless the randomization process reaches a degree of sophistication I have yet to see in video games.

I'd like them to experiment further with world-changing mechanics like world tendency that create opportunities to introduce new elements (quests, NPCs, enemy AI/stat changes, environment changes and so on) to the game if you meet conditions that are broad enough so that the changes occur seemingly naturally as you progress the game, rather than overly specific conditions you would only learn about if you read a guide. Something like this but more developed than world tendency would help them build a big, sophisticated world without dumping everything at once, and make your character and the world feel more integrated with each other.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Almost all my PVP experience is invasions at 32 +5 (somber 2) and 60 + 12 (Somber 5). Its a mixed bag but overall a lot of fun. Lag is a serious problem and getting worse as the game gets less active. Meta bullshit like ROB and Vyke's isn't really a problem I've dealt with much at the low levels. At meta, yeah its a big problem. The biggest issue aside from lag is password phantoms. They can be any level and there's no way to downscale them really. You get one shot by people you can barely damage.

But aside from the lag and password phantoms there's a lot of good matches. You encounter groups of casuals co-opping, bonfire duelists and vicious gank squads that aren't necessarily over levelled just geared up and ready. Not knowing where you'll spawn and what you'll be facing is part of the allure. Something memorable usually happens in invasions. They're crazy. I've had a lot of fun with 60 + 12. 32 + 5 is fine but damage is too low for me. Kills are easier to get at 60 + 12 but one mistake doesn't end things.

As far as people having items I don't give a fuck really. They don't need saves to get them, their friends just drop them for them and then they load their backup save. If you don't want to do that (I didn't) you can get everything you need to hold your own with legit gameplay with a 60 or 32. Everyone runs twinks but making a twink is just using Radagon's Soreseal and an heirloom charm or two then pumping vigor. Collecting golden seeds, sacred tears and talisman pouches can take a bit longer but it's still very doable. Making your build isn't much of a barrier to entry.

I've posted this video before ITT but here is an example of a 60 + 12 invasion. Dudes had Godrick's Axe and a Blood scaled twinned knight sword. Nothing too crazy.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I have to say I really enjoyed figuring out the Mohg fight. I was getting killed by the sequence of blood losses but it turns out there was a way to mix my Wondrous flask to overcome it. And I managed to use the shackles, which I'd found months before in the Shunning Grounds, once. Good times.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I have to say I really enjoyed figuring out the Mohg fight. I was getting killed by the sequence of blood losses but it turns out there was a way to mix my Wondrous flask to overcome it. And I managed to use the shackles, which I'd found months before in the Shunning Grounds, once. Good times.

One of my favored fights. I wasn't burned out at the game yet so i took my time to get it right all the way through:

BTW, did they nerf bleed yet? I didn't notice any crying from people so i'm assuming not.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

BTW, did they nerf bleed yet? I didn't notice any crying from people so i'm assuming not.
Yes and no. Rivers of Blood had a significant nerf to both the damage and bleed build up of the ranged part of its weapon art, Corpse Piler. Hits with the actual sword blade have not been nerfed. Powerstancing weapons now applies a modifier to their status buildup, so its not double anymore but its still more. That second one is PVP specific. Seppuku now does more damage to the user and has had the bleed buildup it does cut in half. Its now considered bad except on pure arc builds.

But bleed is still fucking bullshit in PVP.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Ok I know I'm late to the party but Malenia was a fine boss. Goes right up there next to Lady Maria and the three-phase one from DS3's frosty DLC.

(Though the Maria fight was somehow purer, it was distilled ballet.)

And the whole Elphael level is properly nasty, the bullshit just keeps coming, the books and crannies are properly hidden.

Though I really can't see myself starting this game again jn the foreseeable future. In DS or Bloodborne I want to play again immediately...

toroid

Arcane
ENB struggled because he was forcing a dagger run and he constantly tests what weird stuff you can do with the mechanics.
not to mention that he would just deactivate the gui not seeing hp bars and chugging estus by feel and wasting lot of estus/hp...
Evidently he still hasn't learned to use the doorknob instead of opening doors with his face. He's been playing ER again with a bow only build and no UI, and he hates it. I used to wonder if he was insane or just retarded.. until I heard him talk about politics. Now I am certain that he is insane.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I've been trying a stealth build. I made Rikimaru from Tenchu: Stealth Assasins, a favorite from my childhood. There are quite a few stealth abilities and items in the game but the level and encounter design actively discourages stealth in most circumstances. So many enemies are scripted to just jump out at you whether they can see or hear you or not. Sleeping enemies are scripted to wake up and attack, enemies facing away are either bait for a sneak attack on you or are scripted to turn around when you come near. Stealth is possible at times but its generally more trouble than its worth and often impossible.

So from an RP perspective, ninjas don't work well in this game. I nailed the look though. The bandit mask and uchigatana make a perfect Rikimaru. He's got the white hair and the scar. Later on I'll get the altered preceptor's robe so he can actually wear black as a ninja should. Kukris are an acceptable substitute for shurikens and the game's craftable items are reminiscent of the multitude of ninja tools he employed in that game.

He's using ash of war assasin's gambit on his uchi, so he's really weak in combat. That's deliberate. Tenchu was like that, you couldn't just fight your way through. So I'm trying to solve problems with cunning rather than combat. That isn't really working for the reasons stated above. I did know this going in, but I hoped I could find novel uses for my crappy abilities and have some great roleplaying moments. Nah, they're just useless.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I used to wonder if he was insane or just retarded.. until I heard him talk about politics.
He is the human incarnation of twitter.

He should have tried to learn more about the game instead of expecting it to play exactly like Dark Souls and doing the same stuff he would in Dark Souls from the beginning.

Old Hans

Arcane
I've been trying a stealth build. I made Rikimaru from Tenchu: Stealth Assasins, a favorite from my childhood. There are quite a few stealth abilities and items in the game but the level and encounter design actively discourages stealth in most circumstances. So many enemies are scripted to just jump out at you whether they can see or hear you or not. Sleeping enemies are scripted to wake up and attack, enemies facing away are either bait for a sneak attack on you or are scripted to turn around when you come near. Stealth is possible at times but its generally more trouble than its worth and often impossible.

So from an RP perspective, ninjas don't work well in this game. I nailed the look though. The bandit mask and uchigatana make a perfect Rikimaru. He's got the white hair and the scar. Later on I'll get the altered preceptor's robe so he can actually wear black as a ninja should. Kukris are an acceptable substitute for shurikens and the game's craftable items are reminiscent of the multitude of ninja tools he employed in that game.

He's using ash of war assasin's gambit on his uchi, so he's really weak in combat. That's deliberate. Tenchu was like that, you couldn't just fight your way through. So I'm trying to solve problems with cunning rather than combat. That isn't really working for the reasons stated above. I did know this going in, but I hoped I could find novel uses for my crappy abilities and have some great roleplaying moments. Nah, they're just useless.
ive been doing the same exact thing. The only difference is that im doing it at sl1 and I use that halberd knight summons during bosses while I hide in the shadows throwing daggers and sleep pots, which is what ninjas PROPBABLY did in the olden days.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Well the build has taken shape. I'm more or less happy with him.

There's more to add though. I'll give him Millicent's prosthesis for his fourth talisman and replace blessed dew with Crepus' vial. I also want to pick up blood blade ash of war and put it on an occult wakizashi as his secondary weapon. I don't think the altered preceptors looks very ninja like. I may have to go to mid roll for the black knife set. Not sure. I could try the altered Albrichts chest I suppose.

Anyway here he is:

Elwro

Arcane
I feel so proud for helping Millicent against her sisters... that was a difficult one.

Equipped Shabriri's Woe and did my best to aggro all of them, while M slowly killed one after another.

Great times. And what an ending to the quest...

Lambach

Arcane
I feel so proud for helping Millicent against her sisters... that was a difficult one.

Equipped Shabriri's Woe and did my best to aggro all of them, while M slowly killed one after another.

Having to kill Millicent because your end-game build requires the Talisman she drops is much more difficult.

I mean, not because it's a more challenging combat encounter, but because it's a more challenging FEELZ encounter. :negative:

Elwro

Arcane

Having to kill Millicent because your end-game build requires the Talisman she drops is much more difficult.

I mean, not because it's a more challenging combat encounter, but because it's a more challenging FEELZ encounter. :negative:
Goddamnit, now I checked...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom