Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

typical user

Arbiter
Living jars and ability to backstab giant flaming head-wagons is the most From Soft thing.

Kinda slow to start but damn this game is huge.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Though I really can't see myself starting this game again jn the foreseeable future. In DS or Bloodborne I want to play again immediately...

This was my feeling too. I beat the game with a greataxe/great shield build and it was fun. But also, exhausting. I don't think I will seriously play the game again for like ten years. It was a lot.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I have to say the Farum Azula level has grown on me. So many hidden areas, which are teased properly -- you can see them from afar and then you have to figure out how to get there. I really liked Alexander's place. And the overall challenge is satisfying.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What's the best early-game area to get stronger before I take on Stormveil castle?
The Weeping Peninsula is generally somewhat more difficult than Limgrave proper but still easier than Stormveil Castle. Though if you do complete just about everything in Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula, you'll probably be overleveled for Stormveil.

Note also that Siofra River can be reached via an elevator in Limgrave, but it's considerably more difficult than Stormveil and therefore you might as well delay exploring it until directed there by Ranni's questline.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
200 pages and 1 year later i still havent finished the game. due to long breaks and other RL issues, i recently resumed the adventure.
it's amazing how different the experience can be after a long hiatus. if you thought ( like me) after 80 consecutive hours that the game was repetitive boring shit ( well it is repetitive still) , after returning with clear mind you suddenly think again that this another GOTY.
i think ( and hope) i'm 3/4 of the game.
i just discovered the teleport to blood palace map. previously i reached the haligtree ( without moving a step forward in it, after hearing all horror stories about Melania) . i only have farum azula to discover, i guess the entrance is near where you acquire the flame to burn the Erdtree roots. I missed 90% of quests but at least this time i don't have to read guides to discover all areas ( hopefully)
i'm having a lot of fun, especiallly now that i respecced again into a fai build ( now using the old Zwheinder) and loving it. yes, it sucks in pvp but i missed the impact of heavy weapons

Bloodeyes

Arcane
You're almost finished. Probably more like 5/6 of the game not considering anything you may have missed on your way. You may need to use guides to find all areas. Have you been to deeproot depths? Or the sewers below the capital?

fork

if you thought ( like me) after 80 consecutive hours that the game was repetitive boring shit ( well it is repetitive still) , after returning with clear mind you suddenly think again that this another GOTY. [...]
It may be GOTY, because there literally was nothing else, but it is still repetitive boring shit, and, due to its financial success, may be the final nail in Fromsoft's coffin. I'm not even interested in the expansion or the new Armored Core after Elden Ring.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
You're almost finished. Probably more like 5/6 of the game not considering anything you may have missed on your way. You may need to use guides to find all areas. Have you been to deeproot depths? Or the sewers below the capital?
is DRD the area which culminates in the fight with summons? and then you get tped into capital? the sewers is where
dungeater is
?
if so , yes to both

Bloodeyes

Arcane
is DRD the area which culminates in the fight with summons? and then you get tped into capital? the sewers is where
dungeater is
?
if so , yes to both

Yeah that's the place. It culminates with a remembrance boss after that fight. Missable because you've got to talk to Fia around 50 times. Just keep resetting her and exhausting her dialogue until she falls asleep to trigger it if you haven't already. And yeah the sewers are where he is as well as an optional remembrance boss. Also the frenzied flame if you want it.

JDR13

Arcane
What's the best early-game area to get stronger before I take on Stormveil castle?
The Weeping Peninsula is generally somewhat more difficult than Limgrave proper but still easier than Stormveil Castle. Though if you do complete just about everything in Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula, you'll probably be overleveled for Stormveil.

Note also that Siofra River can be reached via an elevator in Limgrave, but it's considerably more difficult than Stormveil and therefore you might as well delay exploring it until directed there by Ranni's questline.
Yeah, I explored some of the Siofra River area, but I was getting my ass kicked once I started encountering those ghost minotaurs in bulk. I'm working my way through the Weeping Peninsula now.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I'm doing a new stream series with voiced narration. Casual playthrough, STR/FTH. I'm going to RL 138 +25/10. I'll invade with the character once his build is done. The link to the first video is in my sig.

JDR13

Arcane
Does it become worth it to put any points into Int or Faith if you're playing a melee build? I've got a couple of staffs I could use if I had 1 more point of Int.

vota DC

Augur
Near the invisible guy and After the bridge you should farm the two giants pulling a wagon and their army, should be at least 3000 XP. For upgrading gear you could venture even in Siofra and Liurna without killing Margit, only exploring caves when underlevel and ill equipped Is dangerous because no horse.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Does it become worth it to put any points into Int or Faith if you're playing a melee build? I've got a couple of staffs I could use if I had 1 more point of Int.
Well, I decided to go for Dex / Fai and didn't really find many interesting melee options, aside from the Winged Scythe, which carried me through some really difficult segments and is definitely an awesome weapon.

JDR13

Arcane
Well, I decided to go for Dex / Fai and didn't really find many interesting melee options, aside from the Winged Scythe, which carried me through some really difficult segments and is definitely an awesome weapon.
Coincidently, I just found the Winged Scythe a little while ago. There's no way I'll ever have high enough Faith to use it though. I've been dumping almost all my points into Vigor, Strength, and Endurance. I put just enough points into Dex to use the Black-key Crossbow.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I've cued up this video to my fight with the valiant gargoyle. It took a couple attempts, this is the last one. I'm sharing it because it was a close fight. Very, very hairy. I felt a bit high after this one. Too much adrenaline.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Hello,
How is everyone liking the open world here? Currently at Godrick, haven't beaten him yet, but I had the chance to roam around the world a little bit, and my impressions so far are that it's literally worse than Skyrim - there are just some entrances to dungeons and groups of assorted critters scattered around with little interesting in-between. Will it become better after Godrick? I've been meaning to return to the game and beat him, but then I remember about the open world, feel disheartened and just halt. Though I did enjoy exploring the Stormveil Castle, and I suppose there are more interesting locations out there in the game, but you have to find them first, and for that you have to wade through that banal/shit/boring open world.

Last edited:

fork

Yes, the open world is shit. It will become worse after Limgrave/Godrick, not better.
Stormveil Castle is about as good as the game gets.
Worst modern From game by a lightyear. DS3 is a masterpiece by comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom