Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hop on Torrent, close your eyes, DASH, open your eyes after 30 seconds

this is the best way of finding good locations

the open worlds is shit, the crafted places are good!

fork

Not even the crafted places are good.
They are technically good, interconnectedness, secrets etc, but they lack atmosphere, like the entire game they're just too bland while trying to be epic. There's no Latria here, no Blighttown, no Sen's Fortress, no Gutter. Most bosses are unremarkable.
The game is a boring, unbalanced POS for the masses. AssCreed for the dumber part of the Souls crowd. A mockery of what made Dark Souls great.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I fail to see what was so brilliant about the Gutter. The rest of the mentioned locations were unforgettable, true.

However, I think e.g. the Crumbling Farum Azula approaches this level of quality.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I fail to see what was so brilliant about the Gutter. The rest of the mentioned locations were unforgettable, true.

However, I think e.g. the Crumbling Farum Azula approaches this level of quality.
The flammable pools were cool and a few of the hidden areas, like how the drop off to the giant cave was obscure and looped back up into the main level, etc.

It also had that green bioluminescent thing going on. It was reasonably cool, though I agree, not on the level of the best designs From has done.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

The flammable pools were cool and a few of the hidden areas, like how the drop off to the giant cave was obscure and looped back up into the main level, etc.

It also had that green bioluminescent thing going on. It was reasonably cool, though I agree, not on the level of the best designs From has done.
That's Black Gulch, not the Gutter.
:troll:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

That's Black Gulch, not the Gutter.
:troll:
Shit you're right. :lol:

I guess I just proved his point.

JDR13

Arcane
Well, it's the one occasion where common sense works: use fire... (and lots of hugging :hug:obviously)
I noticed he did seem to miss a lot when I was right on top of him which I thought was strange. Until now, staying at a certain range seemed to be the best strategy for most bosses.

JDR13

Arcane
Hello,
How is everyone liking the open world here? Currently at Godrick, haven't beaten him yet, but I had the chance to roam around the world a little bit, and my impressions so far are that it's literally worse than Skyrim - there are just some entrances to dungeons and groups of assorted critters scattered around with little interesting in-between. Will it become better after Godrick? I've been meaning to return to the game and beat him, but then I remember about the open world, feel disheartened and just halt. Though I did enjoy exploring the Stormveil Castle, and I suppose there are more interesting locations out there in the game, but you have to find them first, and for that you have to wade through that banal/shit/boring open world.
This game doesn't hold your hand like most open-world games. There's a lot of content, but it's not all immediately obvious. You have to discover a lot of things on your own.

If you want a dungeon around every corner with a quest marker pointing to it, Elden Ring probably isn't for you.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm confused as to why this is in the jrpg forum. Should the forum name be changed to just "jappo shit"?
You should have read the forum description..

>For all your DESUDESUDESU needs, where everything released in an asian language or from an asian developer can be discussed. If it remotely smells Japanese, put it in here.

Everyone has known for a long while that the codex has stupid categorization for japanese games. You'll see second rate garbage like Lords of the Fallen have a thread on general RPG (even though I'd disagree with this or what it clones badly - the souls games - being on a GRPG forum) but if it's japanese, it won't be allowed on GRPG, even when it's more of a RPG than most GRPG games, such as the various Wizardry descendants made in Japan.

Since the west mostly produces garbage and Japan has a lot of good stuff in all genres, the JRPG forum should be seen as "the good games forum" instead of being the "jrpg forum".

If it's a good game, you post about it here.

You have to discover a lot of things on your own.

A lot of copypasted garbage, you mean. Still, for all the fails of being an open world game, ER is still more entertaining than 99% of the games released in the past two years. Says a lot about the game industry state.

>dungeon around every corner with a quest marker pointing to it

You don't have the quest marker but the world structure is the same as any ubisoft game. Each corner of the map has a set quantity of things to do. 1/ Erdtree guardians to slay 2/ Caves 3/ Mines 4/ a castle 5/ mini dungeon 6/ a dragon to slay 7/ a hero tomb with the same dumb hide and seek enemy, 8/ a night cavalry 9/ a group of soldiers guarding a weapon on a carriage towed by giants and so and so. You draw a square on what you'd think corresponds to a level range and you can find every one of the things I cited, in each of these squares of the world, with no sense of surprise whatsoever. No time where you would explore the map and NOT find these finds, or find a truly unique type of encounter. It's by the numbers, predictable, and only retards would not see the pattern after having scoured the first two areas of the game. The only motivation to complete this repetitive trash is to get some of the cool unique weapons or power up boosts like talisman items. It's the most damned thing about this game, the things you'd find while doing good content on other souls games, the gear rewards, are spread out across the whole map as trash content you must do to gain. If you want to upgrade more than one weapon you really have to do this trash to gain enough upgrade materials too.

The underground areas were designed differently from this garbage open world and are a joy to explore though. I'd say them and the capital's sewers are the best designed areas of the game and once you've done them, everything about ER goes downhill to the shitter.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Hello,
How is everyone liking the open world here? Currently at Godrick, haven't beaten him yet, but I had the chance to roam around the world a little bit, and my impressions so far are that it's literally worse than Skyrim - there are just some entrances to dungeons and groups of assorted critters scattered around with little interesting in-between. Will it become better after Godrick? I've been meaning to return to the game and beat him, but then I remember about the open world, feel disheartened and just halt. Though I did enjoy exploring the Stormveil Castle, and I suppose there are more interesting locations out there in the game, but you have to find them first, and for that you have to wade through that banal/shit/boring open world.
The best parts of Elden Ring are those that are most similar to the style of levels in the Souls game: large dungeon-like locations such as Stormveil Castle or sprawling underground areas.
  • Castle Morne
  • Stormveil Castle
  • Ainsel River / Uhl Palace Ruins
  • Raya Lucaria Academy
  • Caria Manor
  • Siofra River
  • Nokron Eternal City
  • Ainsel River / Nokstella
  • The Shaded Castle
  • Lake of Rot
  • Volcano Manor
  • Leyndell proper
  • Deeproot Depths
  • Subterranean Shunning-Grounds
Perhaps also Farum Azula, Moghwyn Palace, and the Haligtree / Elphael :M

Mauman

Learned
I just encountered the Ulcerated Tree Spirit for the first time... talk about getting my asshole handed to me on a platter.
Now imagine fighting 3 at once :smug:

yup, such a place exists, though you can if you're careful fight one at a time. Not that it's worthwhile as they don't drop anything and they respawn (the guard a talisman but you could simply run in and get it rather fight this horrific fight

Hello,
Honestly man don't be afraid to use a guide to tell you which main areas to go to next without spoiling how to beat them. The open world and non bell bearing side dungeons are for getting build specific gear or post game sight seeing. Minesweeping this game blind at release wasn't worth it though I don't suppose I could have known better at the time.

The other bits of 1st run advice I'd give are:
- Pick a good somber stone weapon and craft your build around it. Normal smithing stones are thin on the ground till relatively late game and you need frankly retarded amounts of them to upgrade.
- Pump vig to 40 minmum once you hit your gear/casting requirements early-mid game. This is a Soulslike. Early weapon upgrades give a much better ROI than early stat scaling.
- Damage negation talismans are excellent in PvE. The community doesn't do a good job of recommending them to new players.
- Don't follow build guides telling you to equip scarseals or soreseals until you know what you are doing. New players are advised to use these types of talismans far too frequently.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I just want all souls games to only have areas like the Catacombs (DS1), Tower of Latria, Sen's Fortress or Valley of Defilement. They could iterate on those as many times as they want and I'd be fine with those. Big flat fields are not interesting.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Catacombs (DS1)
Carthus, about 3 dozen copy/paste ones in ER
Tower of Latria
Irythill Dungeon:0/5:
Sen's Fortress
Hero Graves in ER. Enjoy your chariots.
Valley of Defilement.
Farron Keep, Lake of Rot in ER.

They did iterate. And made them worse with each iteration.
Iterate means to do again. Not producing travesties if even that. You also left out the rest of my post, which explicitly stated I would be fine with Souls games "only" having areas like that, not between hours of filler trash.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So a while back I mentioned I bought a youtubers ebook so he would do a video request. I requested an INT/FTH melee build. He released two videos on this topic but didn't mention my request in either. I wasn't sure if either of these were my video at the time. I was a bit confused then I forgot about it. I just noticed an email from him sent a couple weeks ago, confirming that these were my vids. Cool! Here they are:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I just want all souls games to only have areas like the Catacombs (DS1), Tower of Latria, Sen's Fortress or Valley of Defilement. They could iterate on those as many times as they want and I'd be fine with those. Big flat fields are not interesting.
Despite being the worst souls game, Dark Souls 3 features one of my favorite areas in the series - Cathedral of the Deep. It's a quintessential Souls location that has everything you'd expect from a Souls game. You get interconnectedness and constant looping through shortcuts, you get devious encounter design with enemies hiding on ledges and punishing careless players, you get a tense sequence on some catwalks where one wrong step or missed enemy strike will send you falling to your death. There are traps and environmental hazards (giants), there's even a poison swamp on the lower level. And the boss, while not being particularly great, is not just another Artorias on cocaine.

fork

Despite being the worst souls game, Dark Souls 3 features one of my favorite areas in the series - Cathedral of the Deep. It's a quintessential Souls location that has everything you'd expect from a Souls game. You get interconnectedness and constant looping through shortcuts, you get devious encounter design with enemies hiding on ledges and punishing careless players, you get a tense sequence on some catwalks where one wrong step or missed enemy strike will send you falling to your death. There are traps and environmental hazards (giants), there's even a poison swamp on the lower level. And the boss, while not being particularly great, is not just another Artorias on cocaine.
Yep it's technically good, but it's missing a unique atmosphere, same problem that the entirety of Elden Ring has actually, just not quite as soulless. I certainly wouldn't call it one of my favourite Souls areas.
But as I said above, DS3 is a masterpiece compared to ER.

Last edited by a moderator:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
ER definitely elevates DkS3 to something it's not but let's not exaggerate and call that piece of shit a masterpiece.
Also why is every open world discussion boiling down to whether it has markers or not? That's not the main problem. The main problem, as Lutte puts it very well is the world structure, the quantity and checklist design of it all. Which makes ER exactly the same as every other open world out there.
But because it doesn't have markers and it looks beautiful, that makes it somehow good? What?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Worst modern From game by a lightyear. DS3 is a masterpiece by comparison.

Classic edgy contrarian codex take, with no basis in reality.

Nah fork is right. ER open world make it worse Form soulslike by far. 70% of the content, basically part of the open world are badly designed and basically just water down anything good the game has.

And the boss design is the logical conclusion of twitch finger turbo autist "git gud" design that most of them are not even fun to fight.

Old Hans

Arcane
I just want all souls games to only have areas like the Catacombs (DS1), Tower of Latria, Sen's Fortress or Valley of Defilement. They could iterate on those as many times as they want and I'd be fine with those. Big flat fields are not interesting
agreed. From software really shines when they stick to King's field type dungeon crawls. still find it funny how elden ring is all "we finally added dark areas where you need a torch" even though they had it all perfected in demon's souls

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom