Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Heh, what weapon upgrade did you use on your SL1 run, if any?

When i started this i didn't put a limit on weapon upgrades as i didn't want to go overboard with the "autism", especially since it's my first attempt at a SL1 run (only other one i ever did was in DS1 but that was cut short in the middle of it by my sister visiting from overseas for a couple of months and i didn't resume it), but i'm seriously concerned by how much damage i'm doing. Granted i'm buffing the shit out of everything but still.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I used a different weapon for each boss, so I never really married any particular upgrade. Moreover, I ended up using a lot of somber weapons, so I never thought that much about it. Most of the times I just went with the regular upgrade, switching only against enemies with specific weaknesses.

I didn't bother with buffs outside of the really free ones (flask and exalted flesh) as I was already dealing enough damage even having to spread smithing stones across multiple weapons.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I see.

Well, i'm at +10/+4 and i think i'll stick to this as long as i can. I'm actually upgrading most of them as i have no idea where else to dump runes into.

Eventually i'm gonna start hitting bosses with larger health pools we'll see what happens then.

At least the damage keeps the videos short. I'm just hoping once i hit Malenia i'm not going to one shot her or something lmao.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just making a little test for the Knight Duo later on:

Parry still isn't second nature enough, especially after a roll but i'm getting there. Practice makes perfect i guess.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Look at this lamer! Playing a SL1 character just to have an easy time against the Mimic Tear!

AND he buffs

Check this out, i'm using ALL the buffs lmao:

Funny thing, it didn't seem they actually nerfed the AI for this fight at all. At least during practice i didn't see the AI being passive whatsoever, in fact most of the time the other gargoyle just came running and spinning and raping the shit out of me the second his health bar showed up. In this video i got lucky he stood in the back but then he also did that sometimes on my original fight with them so, it was RNG then as now.

Compared to my first fight, this one was much easier since i knew what both gargoyles actually did this time around. Especially the second one this fight is put in a wierd place because you get to fight both gargoyles before you ever get the chance to meet them individually. You can actually see me figure out the second gargoyle on my original video in real time as it was like the third time i got to him and the first two i died almost instantly so i was in the dark. This time, by contrast, i knew what he did already so he wasn't much harder than the first one.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
I've been grinding the gatehouse in Limgrave for a few weeks, my first time in a From game btw, broken between sessions of Shitman 3 and Thief. What level should I be for Storm Hills? I took a peek with Torrent and its all trolls, so I'm guessing mid 30's?

As a side note, I told Mel she couldn't follow me, until I realized I needed a Maiden to level up. I'm no longer Maidenless.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Try going south of Limgrave to the Weeping Peninsula, before you overlevel that area. There's also quite a few useful items such as sacred tears and upgrade mats. Stormhill/Margit should be fairly winnable for most people around level 30

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've been grinding the gatehouse in Limgrave for a few weeks, my first time in a From game btw, broken between sessions of Shitman 3 and Thief.
You should be exploring the overworld and mini-dungeons in Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula, before venturing into Stormveil Castle. Grinding not required. :M

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
I only found one dungeon, the wolf dungeon, and I decided not to go any further, because there was a pack of them, it was very dark, and my earlier playstyle was baiting things into the open, where I could run away like a pussy. I also turned around at the catacombs, the one with a gace in the entrance, taking that as a sign I'd get slaughtered. Yeah, then I gave the swamp a wide berth, because I figured a giant tentacle monster would grab me. I love this fucking game, it feels like I'm washed up in a different world, but I was too chickenshit to go anywhere.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The first merchant you find in Limgrave sells a torch (Church of Elleh, smack dab in front of the "First Step"). Don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone, dying isn't a loss.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I only found one dungeon, the wolf dungeon, and I decided not to go any further, because there was a pack of them, it was very dark, and my earlier playstyle was baiting things into the open, where I could run away like a pussy. I also turned around at the catacombs, the one with a gace in the entrance, taking that as a sign I'd get slaughtered. Yeah, then I gave the swamp a wide berth, because I figured a giant tentacle monster would grab me. I love this fucking game, it feels like I'm washed up in a different world, but I was too chickenshit to go anywhere.
IIRC, in the wolf dungeon near the church, you should be able to fight just 1 or 2 wolves at a time, and the boss can probably be defeated by your own wolfpack ash summons without you even intervening. If you aren't willing to explore, you won't obtain valuable items such as the Green Turtle Talisman:

2cq6ld.jpg

y0e0fm.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Get a shield for wolves and use guard counters.

I would also recommend you buy this then make a run for the Sofia River in Mistwood:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Nomadic+Warrior's+Cookbook+(2)

You don't have to fight anything, just go down the river, make sure you look up to enjoy the amazing view ahead, then just loot a bunch of Herbas. That way you can make as many glowstones as you need which are very useful for dark areas and allow you to use your shield in them instead of having to rely on the torch alone.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Anyway, progress report here, just had to do a bit of fat shaming:

Last edited:

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
Alright, I fought the beastman boss and won without any difficulty, I think that's because I was lvl 23. I found a ball that says "Hello" down in the catacombs. Tried it on the locked door, toward the entrance, and ...nothing. (Don't spoil it, I can figure it out.) FINALLY farmed a Kaidan chestplate, too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, i'm gonna mess around with frost for a bit just in the interest of novelty. Of course, first thing i tried it on seems to be immune to it but ho well:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Alright, I fought the beastman boss and won without any difficulty, I think that's because I was lvl 23. I found a ball that says "Hello" down in the catacombs. Tried it on the locked door, toward the entrance, and ...nothing. (Don't spoil it, I can figure it out.) FINALLY farmed a Kaidan chestplate, too.

I would recommend reading item descriptions. It will give you clues to their use as well as tip you off on the story and lore.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lel, i saw the summoning pool but i totally had no idea what kind of boss there was going to be there. I thought it was the Ulcerated Tree Spirit but it was just some bear:

The forst proc was interesting but i'm not sure it compares to bleed. I tried using a fire pot to get rid of the forst and got smacked. Not sure its worth the trouble.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i see another summoning pool, and i figured alright, here it comes.

Instead there was a whole section i had completely forgotten about:

Lmao the scooter virgin. I also completely winged it on the boss at the end. This was a fun experience (not really).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So they basically gave up pretending this is even a boss now:

This time i was succesful at getting another frost proc by using a fire pot. Not bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom