Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Nathir

Liturgist
These quests never have any satisfying endings, do they?
Welcome to the Souls series!
That's literally what happens with Irina. She dies and her father comes after you as an invader.
It's like they don't know how to end any quest other than by having the main NPC die/get horribly fucked right after reaching their goal. Why did Sorcerer Thops die after returning to the academy? He was just sitting at the desk, having finished writing his super-special spell. Not even indication of anything lethal, or any buildup to impending insanity, like with Big Hat Logan.

It's like a child throwing away his toys after he's bored of playing with them. Azns. :roll:

:1/5:

Thops died because you helped him cheat his way into the academy. Cat-Headed eagle explained it very well.
Not really, entering the academy with a spare glintstone key isn't fatal in any way, and the characters here aren't Dark Souls undead who go hollow if they lose their "purpose". It was just a lazy way to end a quest without having to record more character dialogue (FS seems to be quite stingy in that department).

It not fatal in and of itself but there are plenty of crazy wizards, and strange beasts there... He was clearly killed by something. Anything could have happened. When he said how he can wait for a long time to get a key, my first thought was. "That's kinda pathetic, I'm sure he'll just die if he goes in".

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also, Diallos questline also ends with him dying, this time from being attacked by a random jar poacher off-screen. How end any questrine? Oh, I know, kirr main NPC! Very originaru, I raugh every time! *raughs*
The Diallos questline has another step after his death which gives it a "very good" ending.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What would you like they change/improve for Elden ring 2 ?
Shift the relative importance of the player's physical skills to the character's abilities back to what it had been in Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls, if not even further in the direction of the King's Field games. Elden Ring is influenced by the heavier action basis in Bloodborne and Dark Souls III, and FromSoftware went even further by increasing boss difficulty counterbalanced by giving the player ash summons, weapon skills, and even more frequent resurrection points.

Nathir

Liturgist

Not sure about ER2, but for the DLC they need to revamp the whole open world. They need to add more points of interest/gimmicks to the map. That aren't just another cave/belltower/catacomb/whatever. They need to reduce the number of graces everywhere. It feels like someone went through the map after it was done and just plopped all the graces wherever he felt like a checkpoint should be. There's too many. And they need to rebalance the weapons and spells. Some weapon arts are broken, some are bad. Some spells do way too low damage for how long they need to cast. Player damage is too high in general, bleed is cheesy etc. Just a general rebalancing.

Caim

Arcane
FP regeneration. Doesn't need to be a whole lot so you can keep spamming spells, just enough so you can get some back during combat encounters.

Stat requirements on weapons needs to be more balanced. Magic weapons don't require like 18/22 in STR/DEX. Maybe have a few that require some investment in either physical stat, but no need to go hog wild.

Basic fucking quest log.

Geckabor

Savant
Half the size of the map but spend the same quality time on it as now. Also, change the upgrading weapon system in a way so that you can experiment with weapons more: Maybe the upgrade items aren't consumed but permanent bonuses that you can apply via the smith to any weapon? Something like that so I can actually try switching weapons around whenever I want to, which would make finding items feel more rewarding than it does for me now.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Alright, this fucking thing down, now i gotta try to save Millicent but i'll do later on today. Not looking forward to that shit that's for sure:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
As predicted, i couldn't even remotely save Millicent by sparring with the bitches, so i just had to default to spraying ice breath over and over from a safe distance until Millicent killed them all by herself.

Should be able to get to Malenia tonight but i doubt i'll kill her today. She's gonna be an handful for sure.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Also, Diallos questline also ends with him dying, this time from being attacked by a random jar poacher off-screen. How end any questrine? Oh, I know, kirr main NPC! Very originaru, I raugh every time! *raughs*
The Diallos questline has another step after his death which gives it a "very good" ending.

I hate this shit to be honest. Every quest you have to rest, reload, or a combination of one or the other or both.

Skinwalker, go talk to the little guy. Diallos's ending is actually a good one.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Showcasing how useful Night Maiden's Mist is even towards the end, and also how great guard counters can be:

I also killed the knights on the other side and i'm now parked in front of Malenia but i can't do it yet as i have to go out. FINALLY there though. After i kill this bitch all i got left is Farum Azula and i'm done with this fucking game lmao.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Ok, so I'll have to hold off on fighting Rykard until way, way later in the game, because that's the only way I can finish the final hitjob (on Diallos' brother, no less) and complete the Volcano Manor questline.

Thanks, I hate it.

Ok, so I'll have to hold off on fighting Rykard until way, way later in the game, because that's the only way I can finish the final hitjob (on Diallos' brother, no less) and complete the Volcano Manor questline.

Thanks, I hate it.
You can continue the hitlist even after Rykard, but if you want to do things properly you could keep it for later I guess. When you do it, pick up the item, I think it's a spear. Kill him with that one, if you don't want to have to spend hours fighting him.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot

Thanks, I hate it.
You can continue the hitlist even after Rykard, but if you want to do things properly you could keep it for later I guess. When you do it, pick up the item, I think it's a spear. Kill him with that one, if you don't want to have to spend hours fighting him.
With all the stupid, unnecessary teleporters they added to break the flow of game progression, they couldn't add one to warp in and out of this mission? What a bunch of retards. It's like half of Elden Ring developers were talented and inspired, and then the other half came and shat all over their work.

Thanks, I hate it.
With all the stupid, unnecessary teleporters they added to break the flow of game progression, they couldn't add one to warp in and out of this mission? What a bunch of retards. It's like half of Elden Ring developers were talented and inspired, and then the other half came and shat all over their work.
The teleporters aren't there to help you :D

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Can someone please summarize for me briefly and without spoilers, which one is Godfrey and which one is Godwyn, and why do all these characters have such similar names?

Can someone please summarize for me briefly and without spoilers, which one is Godfrey and which one is Godwyn, and why do all these characters have such similar names?
Godfrey is Hoarah Loux (from the intro), Queen Marika's first husband.
Godwyn was Hoarah and Marika's first son, a demigod, who is killed by Ranni and whose death sets the events of Elden Ring in motion (also seen in the intro).
They have similar names because they are a product of GRRM's imagination. Notice how all plot relevant characters' names start with G, R or M.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Damn, i tried Malenia last night and she's kicking my ass. I still can't seem to be able to parry that double swipe unless i'm at point blank range, and even then it's risky because sometimes her first swipe just circles around my body and she gets me with the second, which means i have to be right in her face to parry it but NOT so close as to make her go around me instead.

The fact she can also cancel and switch up attacks on the fly makes it risky trying to punish her even though most of her unparriable combos are easy to dodge. This wasn't as much of a problem when i had the health to tank some of her hits. Right now she can basically one shot me with anything she does. The first second i walk in she bat her eyes at me and i instantly died. I mean that's what it felt like i barely even saw what killed me after the intro cinematic lmao.

Today i gotta go visit some relatives i'll try again tonight. I think i'm probably gonna spend a week on this bitch.

Nathir

Liturgist

Godfrey = The husband of Marika and the first elden lord.

Godwyn = The son of Godfrey and Marika and the guy who gets killed in the intro cinematic by the black knives.

Why do they have similar names? I don't know, probably because they are from the same family, and its one way to show they are related I guess.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i wanted to experiment with Bloodhound's Step but turns out i actually missed one of those cavalry guys lol. Just because i didn't like how i messed up a parry on the one in the northern area (not to mention the place being a clusterfuck of clutter), i decided to make a no-hit video on this one, mostly for the personal satisfaction it's not like there's any point after i did the duo one in Consecrated Snowfields but what the hell:

This is the get up i'm using against Malenia btw. I'm a fucking masochist with a +10 Miséricorde i'm doing a whooping 900 worth of damage during a critical hit, which is pitiful even for SL1. The bleed proc is of course great but i need to gouge how high her resistance gets to see if it's worth it (like, if i get no procs in the second phase i'm going to be in a world of hurt).

Still can't parry that double swipe. I remember NJClaw mentioned he prepared for it by just "waiting" for it or some prescient, precog shit like that. I tried it too and ended up attempting to parry a grab attack lul. She has a lot of other parriable attacks i think i give up for now otherwise i'll never kill her (wasted 45 minutes trying to parry that fucking thing and managed to do it not even 20% of the time. I'm spent for today). Maybe i'll save it for another time as i'm definitely making a back up of the save file this time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Haaaa, so i tried Bloodhound's Step and couldn't get out of the Waterfowl shit. I went to look up what it was i was doing wrong and turns out they nerfed that shit.

Thanks FromSoft. Guess i gotta default to switching shields now, which means she's gonna heal four critical hits worth of health every time she does that.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
One of the Altus dungeons had a bizarrely OP boss fight with two knights that have a longer reach than George Soros. Forced me to do a whole redo of my character, including a (minor) respec and picking up and upgrading some equipment I had never used before, just to get through the fight with my sanity intact.

Then at the very next dungeon across the road and sharing the same name, I got yet another generic "grave duelist" who took about twenty seconds to finish off. Not sure if these wild peaks and valleys in difficulty are a bug or a feature.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So i wanted to experiment with Bloodhound's Step but turns out i actually missed one of those cavalry guys lol. Just because i didn't like how i messed up a parry on the one in the northern area (not to mention the place being a clusterfuck of clutter), i decided to make a no-hit video on this one, mostly for the personal satisfaction it's not like there's any point after i did the duo one in Consecrated Snowfields but what the hell:

This is the get up i'm using against Malenia btw. I'm a fucking masochist with a +10 Miséricorde i'm doing a whooping 900 worth of damage during a critical hit, which is pitiful even for SL1. The bleed proc is of course great but i need to gouge how high her resistance gets to see if it's worth it (like, if i get no procs in the second phase i'm going to be in a world of hurt).

Still can't parry that double swipe. I remember NJClaw mentioned he prepared for it by just "waiting" for it or some prescient, precog shit like that. I tried it too and ended up attempting to parry a grab attack lul. She has a lot of other parriable attacks i think i give up for now otherwise i'll never kill her (wasted 45 minutes trying to parry that fucking thing and managed to do it not even 20% of the time. I'm spent for today). Maybe i'll save it for another time as i'm definitely making a back up of the save file this time.

Why is your Misericorde only +10? Are you insane? Have you been doing this whole run at low upgrade level as well as low RL? That makes it ten times harder than just RL1. Lunacy!

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So I was liking my new wizard build but unfortunately it gets completely shut down by barrier of gold. All of the sorceries and weapons available to a pure INT build deal magic damage only (except for rock sling variants which are rubbish in PvP and night maiden's mist which is situational).

I'm glad I tried the playstyle. Its hilariously cheap in many situations. I've collected dozens of hosts scalps over the last couple of days. But pure INT is dead in pvp, at least for invaders. You either devastate the whole party in a couple moves or you're a totally helpless victim if one of their number has at least 24 faith. I've tried Law of Regression. Its a slow cast and you have to be too close. And there's no real way to prevent them recasting in a gank.

I won't respec this guy, but I have to accept that some invasions with him are basically unwinnable. Time to make another build. There's other builds that are at least equally as strong without the Achilles heel. So that's my verdict on my wizard: the most OP build I've ever played in PVP and also the most useless. Never average, just brilliant or terrible.

Time to make another build. Probably mushroom crown DPS I guess. Occult poison mist scavengers swords and poise, poise, poise.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Didn't

Why is your Misericorde only +10? Are you insane? Have you been doing this whole run at low upgrade level as well as low RL? That makes it ten times harder than just RL1. Lunacy!

Yes, all my weapons and shields etc are capped at +10 (+4 somber).

As for why, i'm not sure. It started out when i went from +3 to +8 and noticed how much excessive damage i was doing, even as SL1, trivalizing bosses and stuff like that, so i figured i'd keep it at +8 (then +10 so that it evens out with somber since 4 times 2.5 = 10), and just kept going like this lmao.

I didn't have much time to try her yesterday, in fact i'm going to be pretty busy until thursday but my status is as before: she is still kicking my ass. Mostly because of that double swipe from hell. All of her other parriable attacks i can parry with 100% accuracy or near. I can even parry that one where she pulls the sword on the side and lounges across the screen. But the double swipe is driving nuts. I guess my boomer reflexes just hit a wall. If it wasn't for that attack i could literally stand at point blank range all the time and parry her left and right but when i'm that close i can't even roll out of the double swipe let alone parry it, so i have to try to keep my distance but doing so makes me miss some parries which makes the fight long winded (first phase is actually worse with this since she is so passive which is actually more dangerous as all my mistakes are a result of impatience), and with her one mistake is instant death so prolonging the fight just increaes the chances of a fuck up.

If i can't pull it off i guess i'll just have to upgrade my weapon but for now i'm going to stick with this.

Caim

Arcane
One of the Altus dungeons had a bizarrely OP boss fight with two knights that have a longer reach than George Soros. Forced me to do a whole redo of my character, including a (minor) respec and picking up and upgrading some equipment I had never used before, just to get through the fight with my sanity intact.

Then at the very next dungeon across the road and sharing the same name, I got yet another generic "grave duelist" who took about twenty seconds to finish off. Not sure if these wild peaks and valleys in difficulty are a bug or a feature.
As a rule of thumb the Hero's Grave dungeons are some of the toughest side dungeons in the game, even though you can find some pretty good loot in them.

The dungeon across from the Auriza Hero's Grave is one of the few dungeons that actually tries to do something interesting instead of being a linear corridor, and it's a shame that's one of the select few that tries.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom