Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

I might try it, though I feel like if I can't even get a backstab tactic to work, parrying might not be in the cards

Are you trying to backstab on light load or medium? Because that makes a major difference. Load doesn't just affect rolls in DS1 but also movement speed. Though I would still recommend a medium load heavy armor STR weapons dude for first run as it is by far the easiest way to play the game. Poise is very powerful in DS1 and was nerfed in subsequent games, with DSIII making it pretty much useless.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I might try it, though I feel like if I can't even get a backstab tactic to work, parrying might not be in the cards

Are you trying to backstab on light load or medium? Because that makes a major difference. Load doesn't just affect rolls in DS1 but also movement speed. Though I would still recommend a medium load heavy armor STR weapons dude for first run as it is by far the easiest way to play the game. Poise is very powerful in DS1 and was nerfed in subsequent games, with DSIII making it pretty much useless.

Medium. The plan is indeed to go twohanded str, since that is what made me finally enjoy ER. And I’m already having a blast with the Zweihander.

Medium. The plan is indeed to go twohanded str, since that is what made me finally enjoy ER. And I’m already having a blast with the Zweihander.

Zweihander works fine in one hand too, with a shield. But I guess if you already find shieldless easy enough you don't need it.

Spike

Educated

Based. Twohanded STR is the maximum way to enjoy all souls games (or sword+board).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey, if you're having trouble waiting for the Elden Ring DLC, Steam has an awesome recommendation for something that should scratch the itch in the meantime. I never would've thought of it if not for the helpful algorithm coming in for the win!

Don't thank me! Thank Steam, the true hero!

Similar to Elden Ring.png

Spike

Educated
Hey, if you're having trouble waiting for the Elden Ring DLC, Steam has an awesome recommendation for something that should scratch the itch in the meantime. I never would've thought of it if not for the helpful algorithm coming in for the win!

View attachment 41220
Plunging into the dungeons of Detroit is akin to the many dangerous caves of the Lands Between.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

View attachment 41220
Plunging into the dungeons of Detroit is akin to the many dangerous caves of the Lands Between.
True, true. I learned that from that 80s documentary, Robocop.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still on melee run. Two-handed, light load, barrel rolling everywhere. Rennala, Radahn felled. Got the Mimic Tear Ashes. Also faced myself as a boss. Progress is being made. Died 10+ times at Radahn boss fight. I suck so bad at the game, but still getting through. The camera while locked on, and rolling makes me dizzy.

This run is mostly to see if I have the git gud in me, and also I missed a crapton of stuff on the spellcaster run.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Made it to Anor Londo last night. Blighttown was still cancer, but I’m doing way better this run than my previous DS attempt.

However, DS has been much harder than ER for me so far. I can maybe agree that bosses seem easier, but ER lets you hop bonfires at will meaning you almost never have prolonged sections of gameplay that must be completed in one bonfire, and moving past sections is more tricky in DS. Areas are also way more cramped in DS making it harder to maneuver, so getting overwhelmed or ambushed happens more regularly. Statuses also get applied more rapidly. As such, I’m dying way, way more than I did in ER.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Made it to Anor Londo last night. Blighttown was still cancer, but I’m doing way better this run than my previous DS attempt.

However, DS has been much harder than ER for me so far. I can maybe agree that bosses seem easier, but ER lets you hop bonfires around at will meaning you almost never have prolonged sections of gameplay that must be completed in one bonfire, and moving past sections is more tricky in DS. Areas are also way more cramped in DS making it harder to maneuver, so getting overwhelmed or ambushed happens more regularly. Statuses also get applied more rapidly. As such, I’m dying way, way more than I did in ER.
Ha the good olde days where from would ambush you in a corrodior too tight to swing your weapon :D
Did you already do the anor londo archers on the walls section ?

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

However, DS has been much harder than ER for me so far. I can maybe agree that bosses seem easier, but ER lets you hop bonfires around at will meaning you almost never have prolonged sections of gameplay that must be completed in one bonfire, and moving past sections is more tricky in DS. Areas are also way more cramped in DS making it harder to maneuver, so getting overwhelmed or ambushed happens more regularly. Statuses also get applied more rapidly. As such, I’m dying way, way more than I did in ER.
Ha the good olde days where from would ambush you in a corrodior too tight to swing your weapon :D

Nah, I *just* got to Anor Londo.

Also, just to highlight how bad I am at these games:

After doing Gaping Dragon, I ran around the area trying to find the way to Blighttown. I decided to try jumping down the water shaft, promptly dying with my 32k souls. Panicked and tried rushing back, got cursed by the basilisks and died and since I'm playing blind, had no idea where to find a purging stone. So for 1½ hours I ran around underleveled (due to "missing" the 32k souls) and with half HP until I finally found the purging stone @ undead lady in firelink. If there was ever a humbling experience in a video game :lol:

volklore

Arcane

Nah, I *just* got to Anor Londo.

Also, just to highlight how bad I am at these games:

After doing Gaping Dragon, I ran around the area trying to find the way to Blighttown. I decided to try jumping down the water shaft, promptly dying with my 32k souls. Panicked and tried rushing back, got cursed by the basilisks and died and since I'm playing blind, had no idea where to find a purging stone. So for 1½ hours I ran around underleveled (due to "missing" the 32k souls) and with half HP until I finally found the purging stone @ undead lady in firelink. If there was ever a humbling experience in a video game :lol:
I've lost so many souls to stupid shit in all of these games. Everyone sucks at first. I still have my first Demon's souls playthrough burnt into my memory. I bought the chinese version of that game (before it was sold in the west) that had english translation for some reason, at the time where it was crazily shilled by one member of the JRPG forum I was hanging around. I was in sunk cost fallacy mode because I bought a PS3 for FFXIII and it sucked so hard, I needed a good game.
I died so many time in the first section of the first level, I think I still remember where every single enemy, and all of the traps are and I haven't replayed it in 10 years.

I still suck initially at every new From soft game tbh. It just takes me less time to get in the groove with each new release.

Last edited:

However, DS has been much harder than ER for me so far. I can maybe agree that bosses seem easier, but ER lets you hop bonfires at will meaning you almost never have prolonged sections of gameplay that must be completed in one bonfire, and moving past sections is more tricky in DS. Areas are also way more cramped in DS making it harder to maneuver, so getting overwhelmed or ambushed happens more regularly. Statuses also get applied more rapidly. As such, I’m dying way, way more than I did in ER.
Yeah environmental challenges are definitely harder than ER. But it's really just a matter of figuring out how to deal with them once, it becomes easy after that.

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
As I said before, the world is way more interesting than Elden Ring's, and the bosses way less spastic.

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
They're really not a problem.
Multiple ways to deal with them.
Grow a dick and decide how you want to get past them.

Yeah it's one of those things that looks like bullshit at first, then once you figure it out it's never a problem again and you wonder why you had a problem with it in the first place.

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Souls games in a nutshell.

Edit:
Part of that is that your dick grows too big on the seventh playthrough though, and things like the archers become a problem again, lol.

volklore

Arcane
They're fucking great though. From soft doesn't really design sections like this anymore.

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
They're fucking great though. From soft doesn't really design sections like this anymore.
You're absolutely right, unfortunately. There are still difficult sections, but now they're "mini-bosses" or gimmick sections like DS3 DLC Ringed City for example. The rest is banal/shit/boring (except graphically, where everything is lé épiquè (lêl), and bosses, which are the sole reason for FromSoft games to still exist. It's fucking sad. FromSoftware created its very own path of decline, which is completely different from the rest of the industry's decline, and which happens at a higher quality level, but which hurts even more.
When I think back or replay Dark Souls, and then compare it to the Elden Ring's wasteland, I get sick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom