Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

volklore

Arcane
I still think from soft does top tier dungeon crawling tbh, but yeah they don't design elaborate traps with positions of enemies that much anymore, like they did in DeS and DS.
Or maybe I just know all of their tricks at this point.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must have hallucinated the million billion little dungeons full of boulders and spike traps and guillotines and pressure plates and chasms and invisible floors and teleporting chests and spiked chariots on rails and those little fucking scythe-wielding gnome fuckers.

Caim

Arcane
The repeated dungeons in Elden Ring would have been better if there was one of each and they were legacy dungeons: one mine, one cave, one catacomb and one Hero's Grave. Slap their best gimmicks together, make it one long dungeon, put a unique boss and the end and job's a good one.

Last edited:
DS and DS II are special games to me. Rest of the Souls games leave me colder, though they are still better than most of the competition in the genre.

After you finish DS I would strongly recommend doing a fresh second run as a light load/dex guy too. It's a nice change of pace and much easier to do on the second run as you already have moveset of enemies down. That's what I did almost immediately after first run and it made me love the game even more.

janior

Arcane
Patron
don't skip demon's souls, it's the most well made game from start to finish in the series, doesn't dip in quality also will be interesting to see how the series declined and didn't innovate much

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
The repeated dungeons in Elden Ring would have been better if there was one of each and they were legacy dungeons: one mine, one cave, one catacomb and one Hero's Grave. Slap their best gimmicks together, make it one long dungeon, put a unique boss and the end and job's a good one.

:bro:

There would still be the problem with the open world though...
The perfect Souls-like would be a slightly larger, more polished Dark Souls: PtdE.

Unfortunately that ship has sailed, but what we got isn't too bad.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Man I'm hooked. Instant regret that I only bought DS:R and not DSII and III as well while they were 50% off
Russian Souls also highly recommended.

Best art style and animation.

378500574_6977143779018322_7218187940804061184_n.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Finished DS1 yesterday. Great game, but also kind of a weird experience after Elden Ring. On the one hand, the level design is absolutely amazing. I also think the difficulty in the normal content is way higher - more ambushes, awkward arenas and such. The mobs themselves might often be easier than in ER, but in practice actually playing the game, DS1 felt much, much harder for me. This is in part due to encounter design, but also very much due to how many mobs you have to deal with between bonfires - and how the level-design demands more skill to figure out (meaning you stay longer in areas).

On the other, the bosses were way easier, especially towards the end of the game. I one-shot both DLC bosses (didn't find the dragon, playing blind, though I did have to google how to start the DLC, fuck me that was convoluted) and especially Artorias was completely pathetic, which is sad since his moveset seemed really good. In general I was sad that the bosses were so easy, because their movesets and the flow of combat felt much better than Elden Ring bosses, who I felt often had these weird, unnatural delays on their attacks just to bait out rolling and dodging. In contrast, DS1 bosses felt more natural, and when I got hit I felt like it was 110% my own fault. It's just that the damage they dealt and their general slowness meant they couldn't keep up with my characters stats (and I wasn't overleveled).

The biggest highlight was Ornstein and Smough, though. I died many times in that fight and it's probably my favourite boss fight of both games. The movesets of the two dudes compliment each so soooo well, and even though the fight is hectic and difficult, it never feels cheap or completely unmanagable.

Next up might be DS2, but I'm actually pondering using this newfound action game romance I have going on to delve into some other Souls-like genres. I've never played Metroidvanias, and Hollow Knight looks mighty interesting.

Spike

Educated
Finished DS1 yesterday. Great game, but also kind of a weird experience after Elden Ring. On the one hand, the level design is absolutely amazing. I also think the difficulty in the normal content is way higher - more ambushes, awkward arenas and such. The mobs themselves might often be easier than in ER, but in practice actually playing the game, DS1 felt much, much harder for me. This is in part due to encounter design, but also very much due to how many mobs you have to deal with between bonfires - and how the level-design demands more skill to figure out (meaning you stay longer in areas).

On the other, the bosses were way easier, especially towards the end of the game. I one-shot both DLC bosses (didn't find the dragon, playing blind, though I did have to google how to start the DLC, fuck me that was convoluted) and especially Artorias was completely pathetic, which is sad since his moveset seemed really good. In general I was sad that the bosses were so easy, because their movesets and the flow of combat felt much better than Elden Ring bosses, who I felt often had these weird, unnatural delays on their attacks just to bait out rolling and dodging. In contrast, DS1 bosses felt more natural, and when I got hit I felt like it was 110% my own fault. It's just that the damage they dealt and their general slowness meant they couldn't keep up with my characters stats (and I wasn't overleveled).

The biggest highlight was Ornstein and Smough, though. I died many times in that fight and it's probably my favourite boss fight of both games. The movesets of the two dudes compliment each so soooo well, and even though the fight is hectic and difficult, it never feels cheap or completely unmanagable.

Next up might be DS2, but I'm actually pondering using this newfound action game romance I have going on to delve into some other Souls-like genres. I've never played Metroidvanias, and Hollow Knight looks mighty interesting.
Welcome aboard. You will never kick the addiction. Also highly recommend Nioh 1 and 2, and though I have not played it yet, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also, is it just me, or do iframes work differently in DS and Elden Ring? Internet claims otherwise, but I feel like in ER I could often iframe-roll *into* an attack and still avoid damage, whereas rolling in DS1 *always* meant I got hit if the attack connected?

Spike

Educated
Install RPCS3 Play Demon's Souls. It's even more Dark Souls than Dark Souls.
Please listen to this. It is still the best in terms of old-school dungeon crawling connections. Not everything is a combat solution for bosses. It rules.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Please listen to this. It is still the best in terms of old-school dungeon crawling connections. It rules.
Nah, they got a lot amazingly right in DeS but it's still full of major design wtfs - the world tendency, the inventory management, grasses farming, disconnected world, the crystal lizards system, upgrading weps, hilariously overtuned magic, useless heavy armours and pointless bleed/poison are the biggest flaws. And most bosses aren't exactly stellar either.

Systems-wise Dark Souls is much improved and cleaned up experience.

Spike

Educated
Please listen to this. It is still the best in terms of old-school dungeon crawling connections. It rules.
Nah, they got a lot amazingly right in DeS but it's still full of major design wtfs - the world tendency, the inventory management, grasses farming, disconnected world, the crystal lizards system, upgrading weps, hilariously overtuned magic, useless heavy armours and pointless bleed/poison are the biggest flaws. And most bosses aren't exactly stellar either.

Systems-wise Dark Souls is much improved and cleaned up experience.
Fair points but despite all that I still enjoyed DeS's atmosphere and levels more. I also think muh interconnected world is overrated and I don't care if I enter from a main hub. It's still impressive that DaS did this, but DeS is still superior for my tastes.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Demon's Souls will always be the best Souls game.

Ts4kEAV.png
NVzDCKU.png
sItJTaP.png
l3TORJW.png
cTun99q.png

GV7Fc07.gif

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
FromSoft is waiting on vital input from George "R.R." Martin, which it won't receive until he finishes his next book. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom