Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Caim

Arcane

Ezekiel

Arcane
Also, controllers ARE gay, for sticking with a design made for games in 1996/'97. No expectation back then of using the right stick so much because developers used fixed cameras, big fields of view, auto-aim... So your thumb didn't have to leave the face buttons so much and primary actions didn't need to be moved to the shoulders and triggers. I've played plenty of games people claim are better with controllers effectively with a mouse and keyboard. Not the Souls games, though. You use four of ten digits. Brilliant.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Controllers are gay.
Bruh, they're literally clitoris thumb massage training tools.
Would only buy controllers without force feedback if it was an option with the good ones. Such a gimmick. Some of Nintendo's games make it vibrate when you're over secrets. Mario Odyssey, if I remember correctly. Other than that, feels so dumb. Why would only my hands shake if my character has been hit or I am driving over gravel?
IIRC in all games I've ever played there was a vibrations toggle. I always switch that shit off first thing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dark Souls's lore felt more like it was based on an eastern religion than anything European.

The central powers of the world and the civil war between the orders are literally based on symbolism and theological splits leading to conflict in the orthodoxy of the russian church in the 1700s (the schism). This inspiration seems less hidden, more direct, than most shit I encountered in DS1. It smells like a GRRM-thing.

I said Dark Souls, not Elden Ring.

That whole kindling of fire thing, the concept of rebirth, reality being an illusion etc, felt more eastern than European to me, though i will admit that for as many times as i've played Dark Souls 1, the lore is not actually something i've really followed that closely.

From what i understand Miyazaki relies on his favored mangas as inspiration and whatever themes is found on those is likely based on things the Japanese are familiar with. I never read Berserk, which is one that is often mentioned as being among Miyazaki's favorites, but i assume whatever is in there is likely more Japanese than anything else.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I never read Berserk
Berserk avoids a lot of Animu nonsense until Isidro is introduced, who is basically a Shonen hero dropped into a grimdark world and largely oblivious to it. They occasionally joke that he was "single handedly saving the comic" since Shonen is where all the money is.

Honestly having read all 300+ chapters of Berserk, you're fine with just watching the 97 anime or even the netflix movies, it's the best part of the story. Esp. now that the author has passed away. I can see DS/Elden Ring using a lot of the Berserk European "Knightcore" visual design but nothing really matches storywise. Berserk is pretty much a love triangle with gratuitous amounts of murder.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Controllers are gay.
Would only buy controllers without force feedback if it was an option with the good ones. Such a gimmick. Some of Nintendo's games make it vibrate when you're over secrets. Mario Odyssey, if I remember correctly. Other than that, feels so dumb. Why would only my hands shake if my character has been hit or I am driving over gravel?
IIRC in all games I've ever played there was a vibrations toggle. I always switch that shit off first thing.
Yes, but I don't want the motors in my controller. They could sell it to me a little bit cheaper without. Not like manufacturers have store shelf space issues and it's easier for them to only make one model, since almost any not made by the big three are ordered online. Really wish gamers had cared as much about the pressure-sensitive face buttons of the PS2 and 3 controllers as they do about these silly motors.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I never read Berserk, which is one that is often mentioned as being among Miyazaki's favorites, but i assume whatever is in there is likely more Japanese than anything else.
While there are elements of Berserk's storytelling and setting that clearly show a more Japanese viewpoint (specially regarding the way knights and religion are presented), those aside and if it where not for the manga format Berserk would be closer to Eurocomics than anything from Japan
But really, Miyazaki mostly took the imagery of Berserk, "literarily" there's little in common between the two

Honestly having read all 300+ chapters of Berserk, you're fine with just watching the 97 anime or even the netflix movies, it's the best part of the story.
>Golden Age Arc
>best part of the story

transferir.jpg

It's also funny how you talk about animu shonen nonsense in the later parts, but completely ignore the fact the GA objectively suffers from shonen-shit the worse - and this only gets a pass (or even gets denied by fanboys) because the ending does a 180

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

MasPingon

Arcane
Controllers are gay.
All the more reason why a true PC gamer should never touch one :obviously:
There is no doubt mouse and keyboard are wonderful inventions far better then gamepads. But if the game is specifically designed around gamepad controls you can't be a stubborn retard just to make a point. When I play football i wear cleats, when I play Souls or games like Arkham City I use ps4 pad.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Controllers are gay.
All the more reason why a true PC gamer should never touch one :obviously:
There is no doubt mouse and keyboard are wonderful inventions far better then gamepads. But if the game is specifically designed around gamepad controls you can't be a stubborn retard just to make a point. When I play football i wear cleats, when I play Souls or games like Arkham City I use ps4 pad.
Arkham games don't benefit from controllers at all, because of how automated they are. You don't even need to face an enemy in order to attack them; the game will turn the hero for you.

This was with a mouse and keyboard.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got a new PC and started playing this.

Having a lot of fun. I had trouble getting into the Dark Souls games due to the controls being awkward on mouse and keyboard, but in Elden Ring they finally got it somewhat right. M&KB controls feel smooth and responsive.

Efe

Erudite
It is designed around it
some fights are definitely easier if you dont lock and have a wide reaching weapon

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I had trouble getting into the Dark Souls games due to the controls being awkward on mouse and keyboard, but in Elden Ring they finally got it somewhat right. M&KB controls feel smooth and responsive.
:hmmm:

Dude...
You're doing yourself a huge diservice by immeadeatly jumping into that game without having played the one that start it all

Elden Ring is essentially an amalgamation of the last 12 years of From games, but with all their tropes turned up to 11
Not only will there be challenges and "motifs" you will not be able to fully apreciate as you lack the context - but perhaps more importantly, if you do decide to try the classic titles (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2) after ER, unfortunately it just won't be the same

At the very least try to beat Dark Souls 1 before going further with ER
It has a slow but enjoyable pace and as a beginner you can complete most of its content in around 35 hours
If you really can't get yourself confortable with the M+KB, then play with a gamepad - you can get a decent 360 copycat for 20 euros anywhere
And don't give me that bullshit of "muh master race is KB and mouse only" - the pc is the best platform exactely because it's not limited to specific hardware (or software) - not using the input interface a game is clearly designed for is the real pleb mentality

EDIT:
If by the end you like DS and want more of it before moving on to ER, you have some options :
  • if you want a more robust Char progression, more challenging levels and tigher combat (but still in the same pace), then play Dark Souls 2 ; beware the Scholar of the Sin edition, it's a more difficult version of the game, a kind of remix of vanilla
  • if you were more drawn in by the atmosphere, exploration and "art" then go for Demon's Souls ; it's still to this day the most unique From game and as a "haunting beauty" quality to it
  • if you want something to prepare you better towards the type of expierence you'll get in Elden Ring, then play Dark Souls 3 (that's about the only good thing I can say about it)

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
At the very least try to beat Dark Souls 1 before going further with ER
I said "I had trouble getting into the DS games" not "I didn't play the DS games".

I struggled past the controls and greatly enjoyed what they had to offer level design wise, with DS1 being my favorite of the series. The second game was a bit of a mixed bag.
I even played a bunch of King's Field games on PC, which was even more of a struggle with controls!

Already noticing the parallels to DS's design in Elden Ring, although ported to an open world. Reached Stormveil Castle which is the first place that feels fully Dark Souls, compared to the more open areas before.

I'm having fun and enjoy the open world, but this larger structured dungeon is exactly what I've been looking forward to.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
But if the game is specifically designed around gamepad controls
That sounds like bad game design to me.
Edit: Yeah, sounds like a shit game to me.
Its because of this retarded mindset that we have flight simulators filled with assits so you can play with a mouse when its the inferior peripheral, when compared to a proper joystick.
Playing RTS, Adventure Games, RPGs, FPS, and other similar games, with anything but a mb+kbd is retarded, but its just as retarded to make this peripherals work with every single type of game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I fully understand and appreciate peripherals like joysticks and steering wheels.

But controllers? Those are just awkward, unwieldy hunks of plastic that don't offer anything KB&M doesn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom