Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I fully understand and appreciate peripherals like joysticks and steering wheels.

But controllers? Those are just awkward, unwieldy hunks of plastic that don't offer anything KB&M doesn't.
Man if you give me pressure sensitive buttons on my keyboard and triggers on my mouse i would probably be very happy.
But even so, some games feel better with a controller. I was much stronger with a kbd+mouse playing Hyper Light Drifter than i was with a controller but somehow the game felt better. Not really a good argument i know.

A shame about hyper light drifter, those guys went down the woke hole.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But even so, some games feel better with a controller. I was much stronger with a kbd+mouse playing Hyper Light Drifter than i was with a controller but somehow the game felt better. Not really a good argument i know.
Now we're just entering personal preference territory, and for me KB&M always feels best.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Now we're just entering personal preference territory, and for me KB&M always feels best.
Yes, but, and this is a big but, good game pads have features that give you more control and complexity.
If i play a racing game with a keyboard i have to go with either 0% or 100% on either the accelarator or the brakes with nothing in between.
Is the stering wheel and pedals the better peripherials for these games? Yes, but they are also more expensive and cumbersome while a controller can provide you a better experience, than a mb+kbd, on this type of games and still prove useful on many other kind of games.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
I won't play your mech game if its controller is not at least this complex:

steel-batallion-controller.jpg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Those are just awkward, unwieldy hunks of plastic
:nocountryforshitposters:

The classic designs specially (like 360 and GameCube) were literally designed by teams of R&D to be the some of the most confortable objects a human hand can grip
don't offer anything KB&M doesn't.
Due to their simplicity they are perfect for most action games

Then why aren't they fun to use?
Now we're just entering personal preference territory :smug:

Most people here never owned a Dreamcast, if I had to guess..
Anyway, I'm happy to use a gamepad for any game that plays well with it. I don't need to damage my wrists by being a stubborn KB/M-only cuck. They already get enough work during my Starcraft II ladder sessions.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Its because of this retarded mindset that we have flight simulators filled with assits so you can play with a mouse when its the inferior peripheral, when compared to a proper joystick.
Playing RTS, Adventure Games, RPGs, FPS, and other similar games, with anything but a mb+kbd is retarded, but its just as retarded to make this peripherals work with every single type of game.
Then they should invent something like this:
2vAXeC.jpg

Or this:
3XadAL.jpg

Or this:
RQTVsW.jpg

Or something.

QQ some more and get triggered.

Efe

Erudite
isn't vertical mouse exactly made to prevent carpal tunnel?
how would it be speedrunning?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Gotten far enough into the game to get a feel for it and establish a mental map of the world so far. It's pretty great.

I enjoy the open world. I wouldn't say it's better than the Dark Souls approach of a tighter world where each area is basically a megadungeon interconnected with other dungeon-like areas, it's just different. But it allows for a more relaxed approach to playing as you don't have to get gud as much as you do in Dark Souls. When you get rekt, you can just go elsewhere. This is a great driver of exploration, and the easy fast travel allows for effortless backtracking and re-attempting. I've attempted and ran away from several challenges in Limgrave. By now I've beaten most of them, except for that fucking horseman at the beginning (seriously fuck that guy) and the dragon (fuck that one too). I still keep exploring the area and sometimes uncover new stuff I walked past on my first way through.

Found a couple of small dungeons and defeated the bosses there. I expected the dungeons to be a little larger than that, but as side content they're fine as they are. My favorite mini-dungeon yet were the Deathtouched Catacombs, the skeletons were a challenge to deal with and it wasn't as tiny as the others I found up to this point.

I love how there's no handholding. No markers beyond the sites of grace that appear as fast travel points on your map once you touch them, but you have to find them first. And you find them by looking at the landscape and following the golden light. No artificial extraneous markers at all. I'm really happy the devs kept that element of their previous games intact when they went for an open world. This sort of cryptic on-your-own exploration of a big world with zero handholding and lots of cool stuff to find is exactly what I want from an open world game.

At first I was worried the dungeons wouldn't be able to compete with the ones from DS and KF, but then I reached the Stormveil Castle and it's pretty much your average Dark Souls location. Good stuff. It got a little too tough for me so I went out and explored elsewhere again, making a mental note to return later.

I also encountered some sidequests, and realized FromSoft still haven't implemented a journal - so I opened up a .txt document and took my own notes. It's been a long time since a game made me do that. This is a good thing.

A game with this production value having this little handholding and this good of a public reception gives me hope that maybe, someday, open world games will be good again.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Poor Jarl, not at his distaste for consoles, but for not having had the experience of braking one in a fit of rage.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm glad you like it. That mothereffing Tree Sentinel was the bane of my existence for the longest period.
Wait until you fight Crucible Knights. There will be Arschloch, and Scheisse murmured for a long time.

Dragons, I learned to cheese, just stay below them, and hack at their feet. Dodge when you have to. You'll need the horse to close the gap when they fly away.

I didn't care much for the open world. I don't hate it, but I could certainly do without it. As you say, when you get to "legacy" dungeons, the game is at its peak.

I think why a game like this works is because of our time of online. Everything is so easy to look up. On my first run, I basically went in bling. I missed a lot, because I checked a wiki after the fact. I went back to do as much content as I could, and to my (not) surprise, I had missed a lot of things.

There are kids at the school that I work at that know that I play games, and I told them that I played Elden Ring. A few of them actually bought the game, and then went on to play the DaS games, but they preferred the open world. Not surprising, though. That's what they have become used to.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The repeated dungeons in Elden Ring would have been better if there was one of each and they were legacy dungeons: one mine, one cave, one catacomb and one Hero's Grave. Slap their best gimmicks together, make it one long dungeon, put a unique boss and the end and job's a good one.
Yeah, the smaller dungeons are the only thing so far that feel formulaic. Everything else manages to feel fresh and unique, but these dungeons are all structured the same to the point you can tell what it's gonna be like as soon as you step inside. It's especially noticeable with tombs because there's usually a locked door you have to find a switch for deeper in the tomb, and behind it is a boss. Every dungeon ends with a mini-boss fight. It's too predictable.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Both the so-called "legacy dungeons" and the underground areas are reminiscent of levels in earlier Souls games, unlike the mini-dungeons and the Open World:
  • Castle Morne
  • Stormveil Castle
  • Ainsel River / Uhl Palace Ruins
  • Raya Lucaria Academy
  • Caria Manor
  • Siofra River
  • Nokron Eternal City
  • Ainsel River / Nokstella
  • The Shaded Castle
  • Lake of Rot
  • Volcano Manor
  • Leyndell proper
  • Deeproot Depths
  • Subterranean Shunning-Grounds
Perhaps also Farum Azula, Moghwyn Palace, and the Haligtree / Elphael :M But even without those, these collectively constitute a large portion of Elden Ring's content.

Caim

Arcane
The repeated dungeons in Elden Ring would have been better if there was one of each and they were legacy dungeons: one mine, one cave, one catacomb and one Hero's Grave. Slap their best gimmicks together, make it one long dungeon, put a unique boss and the end and job's a good one.
Yeah, the smaller dungeons are the only thing so far that feel formulaic. Everything else manages to feel fresh and unique, but these dungeons are all structured the same to the point you can tell what it's gonna be like as soon as you step inside. It's especially noticeable with tombs because there's usually a locked door you have to find a switch for deeper in the tomb, and behind it is a boss. Every dungeon ends with a mini-boss fight. It's too predictable.
There are a very small number of those with a genuinely interesting gimmick (you can count them on one hand), but for the rest it's mostly copypasta.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Its because of this retarded mindset that we have flight simulators filled with assits so you can play with a mouse when its the inferior peripheral, when compared to a proper joystick.
Playing RTS, Adventure Games, RPGs, FPS, and other similar games, with anything but a mb+kbd is retarded, but its just as retarded to make this peripherals work with every single type of game.
Then they should invent something like this:
2vAXeC.jpg

Or this:
3XadAL.jpg

Or this:
RQTVsW.jpg

Or something.

QQ some more and get triggered.

Asus ROG Chakram has it. I bought this mouse because it has swappable switches. The little stick serves no purpose and it's absurd to think you can actually use it as a joystick while moving the mouse. The only use i got out of it is if use it as a keypad. On the desktop for instance i have volume up and down in the x axis, and show desktop/pause on the y-axis. On games, i usually bind it to weapons or special tools or stuff like that. It's ok for me because i have thick fingers so i can't use those "MMO" keypad kind of mouses as i keep pressing more than one button at the same time so this little stick actually works in giving four extra buttons basically that are out of the way and isolated from the two that are already on the side. But other than that it's a stupid gimmick.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Replayed ds1/2/3 and currently ER with 2-handers and I can now safely say that sword/board is in fact hardmode, not the other way around. Stamina management? How quaint when you could just be Destroying everything in your path. Fun though :)

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Almost two years on and I'm still playing this more than any other game wtf. I made a new level 60 last week. I've always been a strength guy but it turns out dexterity is pretty good.

Caim

Arcane
That's coming from the website that's been in hot waters for gaming Twitch, by embedding its streams on its main website so whenever you're looking up where to find some sword or spell in Elden Ring or how to beat a boss you're giving them a view.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom