Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Child of Malkav

Erudite
It's literally Dark Souls in an open world. And apparently making your game open world doubles or triples your sales. Blight is an understatement.

Nathir

Liturgist
Did you guys ever thought of the fact that the reason ER is open world is because they just wanted to make that kind of a big game in the first place? Or that it being an "open world" has had minimal impact on game sales?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Sales for Elden Ring are kinda sad
No, it's great; can't wait to see what FS does next. Unleesss....you're saying....that....it's a good thing if they get less money....so they will have to port Bloodborne to PC to pay the bills!
You might be on to something here...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm saying it's sad that THIS (open world) is what led to such a massive increase in sales.

I'm not unhappy with the fact the game sold so much, i'm unhappy about the WHY the same sold so much.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Initial impressions:
Both open areas limgrave (west and east) seems to be poorly designed with so much empty space. The ruins seems to be less interesting having boss creatures with minions. The enemy AI seems to be retarted with all creatures going out to just attack the player without any sense. Enemy placements seems to be scattered across the map with no strategic importance. Weeping peninsula seems to be better than limgrave or stormhill. Melina is of no use but having horse is an improvement.

Max Damage

Savant
Open world in Elden Ring is like 95% filler, it isn't even worth fighting random mobs because they drop fuck all runes, and scenery is boring. If this is the scale that was originally planned for DS2, then I'm honestly glad they didn't have time and budget to make even more filler.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I remember finding the underground areas to be by far the most interesting and breathtaking. Coincidentally, they are more compact than the aboveground areas.

Also, the "legacy dungeons" are too big.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't mind having a bunch of empty space to roam around in, you've got easy free fast travel all over the place anyways, and most areas had plenty of interesting stuff to find, like dragons, quest npcs, spell merchants, and so forth. My main gripes would be that the questlines are still basically impossible to follow without a guide. Thankfully they got way, way easier after adding NPC markers but still total horseshit expecting you to fnd someone who just appeared randomly in the world some place you already explored. And the ending was too linear. The first half of the game is better, you can access 3 areas and the underground before even fighting a single boss, and there's two ways to get to Altus and the volcano. After that you've got a very specific set of locations and boss fights you need to do in a specific order. Actually resembles DS2 quite a bit in that regard.

They also needed to have put something more worthwhile in all those little mini dungeons and caves and shit. Like 10% of them were actually rewarding, the rest had like, a single shitty talisman or weapon as a reward. Sometimes not even that. Should have had more spells and ashes of war inside those, instead of on merchants or the stupid scarabs. Maybe that was the original plan; it would have explained why they felt the need to have like 6 versions of soul arrows if they figured you'd have a decent chance at missing 4 of them if you weren't thorough.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
It would be very nice if this game had an elegant, long straight sword with a versatile and grounded moveset, like penetrating sword from Demon's Souls or Balder side sword from Dark Souls. Noble's slender sword is close but the moveset isn't satisfying and the yellowish color isn't nice visually.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reached the snow area after the capital. I like it visually, but it's getting a bit too long. Still like that they keep varying the landscape. The capital was the absolute highlight and I wouldn't have minded if the game ended there.

The open world is cool and works much better than most modern open worlds. There is no handholding, you actually get to explore. See something in the distance, go there. No markers beyond some sites of grace giving you a rough direction hint on the map. It's refreshing to have an open world game with this degree of freedom. The horse is fast enough to make it easy to explore, and I keep finding new things when I pass through an area I had been to before. I had to look up where to find the key to the Raya Lucaria academy because I completely missed it and already explored the Altus Plateau when I thought "wait, what about that academy?"

The key to enjoying the open world is to not obsessively try to be completionist or systematic about it. Just explore, go where you want to go, take notes about things you missed, return later when you feel like exploring that area again. I switched between Liurnia, Caelid, and the underground Siofra River constantly.

The legacy dungeons are the highlight of the game, but the open world is one of the very few modern day open worlds that are actually done right.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Reached the snow area after the capital. I like it visually, but it's getting a bit too long. Still like that they keep varying the landscape. The capital was the absolute highlight and I wouldn't have minded if the game ended there.

true

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

The open world is cool and works much better than most modern open worlds. There is no handholding, you actually get to explore. See something in the distance, go there. No markers beyond some sites of grace giving you a rough direction hint on the map. It's refreshing to have an open world game with this degree of freedom. The horse is fast enough to make it easy to explore, and I keep finding new things when I pass through an area I had been to before. I had to look up where to find the key to the Raya Lucaria academy because I completely missed it and already explored the Altus Plateau when I thought "wait, what about that academy?"

The key to enjoying the open world is to not obsessively try to be completionist or systematic about it. Just explore, go where you want to go, take notes about things you missed, return later when you feel like exploring that area again. I switched between Liurnia, Caelid, and the underground Siofra River constantly.

The legacy dungeons are the highlight of the game, but the open world is one of the very few modern day open worlds that are actually done right.
The game starts to get a little hard after the snow bit. Best of luck

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like the idea of having only legacy dungeons after the Capital.
I like the idea of having only legacy dungeons period.

Because fuck the open world in this game, seriously. Burned out on that shit before I even got to the Capital, and there were three or four more zones to go and my OCD didn't allow me to just blast through them. Goddamn, I'm probably never gonna go back to the base game.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I have been casually leveling every day in preparation of the expansion. I've killed the final boss, but haven't progressed to NG+1 yet. How are expansions usually handled by FromSoft? Can you just start the new area right away or do you have to start a new save/progress into NG+1 until some specific story state?

I get summoned a lot for the final boss, the snake dude and the fire giant. I've been using meteor for ranged dps, is there a more efficient and/or effective sorcery to spend my mana on? The rest of my spell slots are occupied by buffs.

Caim

Arcane
How are expansions usually handled by FromSoft? Can you just start the new area right away or do you have to start a new save/progress into NG+1 until some specific story state?
All of these can be done from any point the moment you can enter, but these are very high level areas so it's best to at least be right before the final boss before you do them:

- DS1 requires you to have reached the halfway point to gain accesss to the portal and the key that brings you to the expansion
- DS2 requires you to finish two of the four paths in the first half of the game to get to the portals for the first two DLCs, with the key being found somewhere before that point. The third requires you to go past the halfway point, get the key, then go back to the portal you passed by getting to where you found the key
- DS3 gives you free access to the first DLC about a quarter of the way in, with the access to the second being right before the final boss of the base game or beating the final boss of the DLC
- Dunno about Bloodborne

With the structure of Elden Ring it is possible to access the DLC early on, but I wouldn't be surprised if you need to at least get to Atlas Plateau before you can enter the DLC proper. Also it wouldn't be very smart of them to put the DLC entry after Morgott, because it'll just take too long to get there.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
End game in Elden Ring can be very exhausting, imo. It was my least favorite part of the game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Reached the snow area after the capital. I like it visually, but it's getting a bit too long.
Ho-ho. Wait till you get to the second huge snow area after the capital. :d1p:
I don't think the snow area is too long, just the game as a whole at this point. 110 hours in and explored thoroughly in all the previous regions. But I still feel more motivated than most open world games leave me after only half that much playtime.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
Once in a while I'll think of replaying Elden Ring. Then I think of doing 1000 crummy oblivion dungeons, and I would rather die than do that again. But I don't remember what items are in any of them so I'd have to do a bunch of research and figure out which ones would be necessary for the items I want. So I've got to sit around planning the whole game out just so I can skip 95% of it and only do the fun parts with a new character. Then I choose a different game instead.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I made a new faith build for duelist meta (RL125) but so far I've only been invading with him. I did a taunter's tongue run to make the build.

It took 4 days, mostly because the main guy who was invading me has been doing souls PvP for over a decade so I was constantly dying. The build turned out good.

The build:

Attributes:
Vigor - 58
Mind - 18
Endurance - 19
Strength - 25
Dexterity - 18
Intelligence - 9
Faith - 50
Arcane - 7

Talismans:
Crimson amber medallion +2 (swaparound slot for things like Stalwart horn charm +1, Clarifying horn charm +1 and blue feathered branchsword.
Green turtle talisman (can also swap but usually don't because 19 Endurance)
Erdtree's favor +2
Great Jar's Arsenal
Weapons:
Many weapons but mostly uses Banished Knight's Flame Art Greatsword with ash of war flaming strike and a softswap sacred broadsword with ash of war thunderbolt. Godlslayer's seal gives the best spellbuff with my stats. Also an offhand no skill spiralhorn shield for the status resistances that I only pull out when I need it because it looks shit with my armour.

Other cool stuff is my black flame tornado glaive, PSCS with flaming strike on one and endure on the other, spinning slash crescent moon axe, storm stomp zweihander, PS pikes with flaming strike and spinning slash (only used on absolute shitters), stormcaller chainlink flail, lion greatbow with golem arrows, jar cannon, flaming strike broadsword, inseparable sword (go to for water spawns), endure longsword (use it then swap to the glaive to blackflame tornado a group), quickstep omen cleaver, envoy's horn and envoy's longhorn (for clowning around), golden parry buckler, icon shield (for desperate times).

Spells:
Plasidusax Ruin (Almost aguaranteed finisher when you get their HP low).
Aspect of the Crucible: Breath (a good wakeup if you get a riposte, backstab or knock a jump attach out of the air).
Blessing's Boon
Flame, Grant me Strength Barrier of Gold
Black Flame's Protection
Golden Vow
Lord's Heal

Consumables:
Starlight shards (cry harder. I don't agree that only hosts should have FP)
Albinauric pots (I don't use these on new players)
Invigorating white cured meat (stack with talisman and shield to trade with bleed builds)
Clarifying white cured meat (same as above but for madness and sleep builds)
Raw meat dumplings in case someone uses winged scythe/albinauric pots on me or I just run out of heals
All the status boluses

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The key to enjoying the open world is to not obsessively try to be completionist or systematic about it. Just explore, go where you want to go, take notes about things you missed, return later when you feel like exploring that area again.
:bro:
explored thoroughly in all the previous regions

:deathclaw:

I get it though. I am, at times, compelled to play games in a way that sucks the fun out of it as well.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The key to enjoying the open world is to not obsessively try to be completionist or systematic about it. Just explore, go where you want to go, take notes about things you missed, return later when you feel like exploring that area again.
:bro:
explored thoroughly in all the previous regions

:deathclaw:

I get it though. I am, at times, compelled to play games in a way that sucks the fun out of it as well.
Ah, but I explored in an organic way. See something interesting, go there. Look at the map, see something scribbled there that looks like a building, go check it out. I'm fairly certain that I missed plenty of places (there's one of these statues that shows the way to a catacomb left in Caelid where I didn't find the entrance, so I just left it). Apparently I missed a few places in Liurnia too.

My thorough approach to exploration is: check out everything interesting, take notes if I get stuck/meet a roadblock, go on to the next interesting area, check my notes later and go back to figure out a solution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom