Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fair enough. I do more or less the same thing, except I don't really even try to be thorough. I'll spend a lot of time looking for somehting I want (like those stupid painting spots that never had any decent rewards :argh:) but I also literally missed the first dragon in the game on my initial playthrough, along with Patches and basically that whole fucking area, because I was hyped to reach the edges of the map and try sequence break some shit. I probably spent half my playtime pounding my head into various boss shaped walls, but I don't regret it.

Even with the way I played, I was feeling pretty done with the whole thing by the end of the mountaintop. But I also left enough stuff unexplored that a second playthrough a few weeks later was still pretty interesting. Like I said earlier, I think the game would have been better served with multiple shortcuts to an ending. Would have given it more replay value. Basically any of the unique bosses required for a specific ending would have made for a decent end point for a run. Would have given the various quests a real payoff too, instead of just like, an item or two that are probably crap for your build.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I thought this build would be good for gank spanking because of the AOE. It isn't. Over levelled phantoms can trade into my ash and kill me before they bleed. Its decent in a 1v1 though, especially against a lightly armoured mage.

Attributes:
Vigor: 43
Mind: 14
Endurance: 15
Strength: 24
Dexterity: 14 (9 + Millicent's)
Intelligence: 7
Faith: 15
Arcane: 40 (32 + silver tear mask)

Physick:
Flame shrouding cracked tear and opaline hardtear. Using strength knot instead of hardtear gives a nice AR boost but it isn't worth losing the hardtear.

Weapons:
Moghwyn's sacred spear with offhand blood affinity great knife and softswap main hand reduvia.
Dragon communion seal.
Lots of blood affinity weapons I never use.
Jar cannon.

Spells:
Flame, grant me strength
Swarm of flies
Bloodboon
Bestial vitality

Talismans:
Crimson Amber +2 (swap spot)
Green turtle talisman
Millicent's prosthesis
Erdtree's favor +2

Consumables:
Just boluses and crab that I never use

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Man, if you're expecting a build like that to gank spank anything, I have some bad news for you...

I hate to say it, but you'd probably have more luck using Rivers of Blood's Corpse Piler to hit a bunch of grouped up Hosts and Phantoms, than trying to get off Mohg's trident's Ash.

It still blows my mind how much ass the boss soul weapons blow in Elden Ring. The normal weapons you find out-n'-about not only have more unique movesets, but also better Ashes. Not to mention dealing with constant ganks as an Invader wouldn't even be a problem if Micheal Zaki spent more than five minutes at the ass-end of development designing the Online aspects of Elden Ring...

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I hate to say it, but you'd probably have more luck using Rivers of Blood's Corpse Piler to hit a bunch of grouped up Hosts and Phantoms, than trying to get off Mohg's trident's Ash.
I did want rivers on the build but I'd have to go up in level. Just can't spare the dexterity or swap any talis and have the build still function. I'm not going to waste any more time on that build though. I suck with a greatspear and there's no point making it a 90 because I've two builds at 90 that are much better.

Edit: But if I did want to fix it I'd go the more conventional route for a mid level bleed build. I'd ditch Mogh's and dump arcane to 11. Make it a keen affinity dexterity build and use bloodflame blade and drawstring blood grease when it wears off. That would be a better build.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
open world
I'll never understand the knee-jerk codex derision of open world games.

All the classic RPGs are open world. Ultima, Might and Magic, Magic Candle, etc. Not to mention so many beloved codex games like Fallout, Arcanum, Gothic, and even Underrail. Open world was the original dream of the RPG, endless adventure limited only by the players ability.

You really want narrow constrained levels, unclimbable waist high fences, invisible barricades, loading screens, gatekeeping, and plot doors?

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
If true and it leads to less copy-pasted enemies, that would be good.

Ezekiel

Arcane
open world

All the classic RPGs are open world. Ultima, Might and Magic, Magic Candle, etc. Not to mention so many beloved codex games like Fallout, Arcanum, Gothic, and even Underrail. Open world was the original dream of the RPG, endless adventure limited only by the players ability.

You really want narrow constrained levels, unclimbable waist high fences, invisible barricades, loading screens, gatekeeping, and plot doors?
I mostly don't care about RPGs. But it's far harder to keep an open world interesting as opposed to a linear one where the devs can insert all the fun ideas and intricate level design they can think of and will be sure the player will encounter most of it. Open worlds are nearly always so barren and take so much time having you press forward, forward and forward with no obstacles.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
mediocrepoet
I always got the feeling that Zelda and Souls devs somehow cozy up to each other, nothing conclusive and it might just be me but stuff like the laughing NPCs in Souls games always reminded me of Zelda NPCs, random stuff like TotK sky islands having a gold theme mirroring Elden Ring. Dunno, as said might just be me :shittydog:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
open world

Asking this question is kinda of funny given Elden Ring is direct evidence open world sucks.

All the open world areas in the game are vastly inferior to the legacy dungeons. Whenever you get into one of those, the game suddenly picks up in quality. There's your answer.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Asking this question is kinda of funny given Elden Ring is direct evidence open world sucks.

All the open world areas in the game are vastly inferior to the legacy dungeons.
Meh, I think it's fine as an experiment, why not have an open world Souls game? Now if it becomes the standard that's fucked but we'll have to see.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
I'd imagine they'd have some hype by now, about 3 months out; like many of their recent projects/dlc have been handled. Hasn't Yasuhiro Kitao pushed the dlc/xpac release a ways off in interviews recently? They must have a comparatively smaller team working on this amid the newly sprouted projects they hired for..

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Leak suggests that the DLC will be released on Feb 25 2024:

https://www.gamesradar.com/elden-ri...ve-leaked-through-a-controller-collaboration/

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
Not exactly a leak. They say it could and then spend a long time walking it back with all the reasons that is pretty much not going to happen.

Besides, you think they would have a release two months away with exactly zero advertising or promotion done?
Nigga, it's Fromsoft. They've dropped DLCs with one  week of advance notice. This is nothing new. The product is their promotion.

This is a leak, and a credible one at that. I guess Christmas came early this year! :bounce:

Skinwalker

*meows incessantly*
Patron
Village Idiot
I hope this leak is fake, I don't want to spend another 100 hours exploring shadow versions of all the open-world areas. Just give me a new reasonably-sized self-contained area with one or two legacy dungeon(s) like a normal expansion.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I hate it when I agree with Liberal, but if that leak is real, From's jumping the shark and trying to compete with Owlcat and Ubisoft in trying to make a game that is literally too big.
They already did make it too big, now it'll be too too big.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom