Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I hope we can also upgrade/equip Torrent, my trusty steed somehow.
I hope they give different mounts, WoW style. One of the things I liked in world of warcraft.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't know what got you started thinking that would be the case. Do you know what an expansion is? Just that, an expansion of the base game.

They changed the base game in Dark Souls 2 so there's a precedent.

That said, there was no indication they were gonna change anything in the base game, not that i can think of.

Caim

Arcane
I hope we can also upgrade/equip Torrent, my trusty steed somehow.
I hope they give different mounts, WoW style. One of the things I liked in world of warcraft.
Guild Wars 2 has a system with a variety of mounts that could actually work in Elden Ring. There's one with a long horizontal leap, one with high vertical jumps, one that gets a speed boost over water and also protects from environmental hazards (though Torrent already does that), one that can teleport forward short distances, one that's really fast at the cost of turning like shit, one that's actually useful in a melee fight, one with actual cannons strapped to it and can also do slam attacks, and two different flying ones (though I don't expect these to show up any time soon).

Rhobar121

Scholar
I don't know what got you started thinking that would be the case. Do you know what an expansion is? Just that, an expansion of the base game.

That said, there was no indication they were gonna change anything in the base game, not that i can think of.
It's hard to say, it would probably be safest to just start the DLC in ng+.
On the other hand, if they planned to change something in the basic version of the game, they would probably announce it.
Of course, I'm not counting things like balance because it will definitely be modified.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter

They changed story shit. Anybody in their right mind doesn't play DkS2 for the storytelling. Same could be said for the rest butt especially 2.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
We just need to sit down and have a reasonable discussion about how DkS2 was that natural progression for the franchise and the franchise was fucked in the ass afterwards. The perfect template had been laid down for the perfect ARPG and instead of expanding on perfection they flushed it all down the toilet and we get Retard Souls. You're all partially to blame. Had you been as vocal as I was we would have got a real Dark Souls 3, or even a 2.5 would have been stellar. You all are responsible for setting this franchise on the wrong course. Now I'm stoked for DD2 and not giving a single fuck about the ER expansion. I don't care because it will be shittier Dark Souls.

Rhobar121

Scholar
We just need to sit down and have a reasonable discussion about how DkS2 was that natural progression for the franchise and the franchise was fucked in the ass afterwards. The perfect template had been laid down for the perfect ARPG and instead of expanding on perfection they flushed it all down the toilet and we get Retard Souls. You're all partially to blame. Had you been as vocal as I was we would have got a real Dark Souls 3, or even a 2.5 would have been stellar. You all are responsible for setting this franchise on the wrong course. Now I'm stoked for DD2 and not giving a single fuck about the ER expansion. I don't care because it will be shittier Dark Souls.
It's good that it didn't happen.

Anonona

Learned
Ftfy. FromSoft has been remaking the same game ever since they struck gold with Demon Souls.
Not my words, Miyazaki said that.

"In regards to Dark Souls 2, I actually personally think this was a really great project for us, and I think without it, we wouldn’t have had a lot of the connections and a lot of the ideas that went forward and carried the rest of the series"
Not that you are wrong though.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
If I begin the game now and stop after beating Mohg - i.e: having a "dlc ready" save everything should work right?

I mean apparently they are not adding anything to base game areas.
Yes, but you'll have to beat Starscourge Radahn, too. I recommend just beating the whole game and reaching between Rune Level 120 to 150. That way you'll have a completed build ready to face anything the DLC can throw at you. You don't have to worry about being overlevelled, since they're using a new difficulty scaling mechanic to the DLC, independent of Rune Level.

I mean apparently they are not adding anything to base game areas.
Imagine your cock is a mighty sword and the game is at your mercy. That's how I beat video games.
Honestly same except I don't have to imagine.

I don't think any amount of "being vocal" could have changed the progression of the Soulsborne series. Do you honestly think Miyazaki would give two shits about your dogshit Amerimutt opinion? Or anyone else's, for that matter? No, he's always done whatever he damn well pleases.

And discussing it now isn't going to change anything. This is the thread for ER, not DS2.

Barbarian

Arcane
I was asking if there is any official info on save game compatibility and base game content, haven't gotten around to reading interviews and etc yet. Some mentions DS2 had changes on quests and other content included in the dlc.

I mean there is the outside chance that I would begin the game now and bitterly regret it when it is announced that they changed questlines already in the game or expanded them. The dlc will likely come with a patch anyhow.

Maybe it is better to just wait until june.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
I was asking if there is any official info on save game compatibility and base game content, haven't gotten around to reading interviews and etc yet. Some mentions DS2 had changes on quests and other content included in the dlc.

I mean there is the outside chance that I would begin the game now and bitterly regret it when it is announced that they changed questlines already in the game or expanded them. The dlc will likely come with a patch anyhow.

Maybe it is better to just wait until june.
Here's what you can expect from an expansion-day patch:
  • Weapon balance changes. Nothing new, Dark Souls and Armored Core had them, that's why the different versions of the game are sometimes called "Regulation" versions. From's been extremely fastidious about trying to keep things fair and balanced in the PvP side of things in Elden Ring.
  • Bug fixes, no explanation needed.
  • Item drop table changes. This is a big maybe, but the drop chances for certain items have occasionally been changed for quality-of-life or other reasons. Usually it's just a little nudge to make certain upgrade materials less annoying to get. It's within the realm of possibility they'll add a new optimal Glovewort or Smithing Stone farming method to make sure we have everything at +10 for the DLC.
And that's it. The only instance i can think of where they've added a completely new and fully-voiced NPC to the basegame is in Bloodborne. Even then, i'm not sure if he had his own questline.

https://www.thegamer.com/elden-ring...uls-2-says-it-carried-the-rest-of-the-series/

Seems like it did happen, Dark Souls and Elden Ring are what they are today thanks to Dark Souls 2
But Dark Souls III feels to me like it was designed to appease Dark Souls II haters. It's full of "do you remember this from Dark Souls??" shit. And the way combat is sped up felt like overcompensation for the fact that DS II combat was slower than first game. People hated the fact they didn't have good rolling from start in DS II? DS III gives easy rolls even at 70% load from the start and with low stamina requirement. Then it also seems they listened too much to git-guds who insisted that armors should only be for fashion and tank builds that aren't about rolling around are just "playing wrong". So we get useless armors that are nothing but fashion. And shields are kinda shit as well, except for some greatshields.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
https://www.thegamer.com/elden-ring...uls-2-says-it-carried-the-rest-of-the-series/

Seems like it did happen, Dark Souls and Elden Ring are what they are today thanks to Dark Souls 2
But Dark Souls III feels to me like it was designed to appease Dark Souls II haters. It's full of "do you remember this from Dark Souls??" shit. And the way combat is sped up felt like overcompensation for the fact that DS II combat was slower than first game. People hated the fact they didn't have good rolling from start in DS II? DS III gives easy rolls even at 70% load from the start and with low stamina requirement. Then it also seems they listened too much to git-guds who insisted that armors should only be for fashion and tank builds that aren't about rolling around are just "playing wrong". So we get useless armors that are nothing but fashion. And shields are kinda shit as well, except for some greatshields.

Dark Souls 3 is what it is because they were creatively bankrupt after doing Bloodborne. Most of what you say differs in DS3 vs DS2 is also what differs from (any souls) vs Bloodborne. BB also has no concept of armor being a big deal, BB allows you to spam iframes nilly willy and not care much about stamina etc. And aside from the speedier gameplay elements, Dark Souls 3 even cribs quite a bit of aesthetics from BB. You can't look at creatures like the Pus of Man and not think "ah, that looks like something that would have fit Bloodborne".

The problem: Bloodborne does Bloodborne better. DS3 is like a cheap China factory clone.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, just about every weapon I see needs some dex investment. Looks like I am gonna have to run with the greataxe for a long time.

Cheesedragon117

Educated

I already know what it is, and was planning to do an entire thread on it sometime between now and the DLC. It's going to be a long write-up with pictures to demonstrate my points. Maybe now that I've advertised it, I'll hopefully feel some subconscious pressure to start drafting it out.

I don't think it's actually anything in-game, necessarily, just a lore puzzle that 99% of the community hasn't put together correctly.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Ok, I just have the Auriza Hero's Grave to explore, and then I'll be done with Altus and be ready to enter Leyndell. Man, this is a huge game. I've postponed a number of quests just because I need to find and release the Dung Eater and turn him into a puppet. Which means... dass right, time to dive into worst dungeon in the whole game (the sewers).

Oh, and I haven't even set foot into Volcano Manor or Ainsel/Nokstella yet. Or the secret corner of Liurnia. Or the Dragonbarrows. Or any of the content that's locked behind Morgott.

Impressively big game.

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Well, generally a lot of the stuff that require a lot of farming to get isn't really that important.
Its important to me. Currently my mule has everything in the game and a bunch of duped runes. So I can level him to any build I like and invade with it for a day, or go to NG+ and do a taunter's tongue run. I won't accept having missing fashion options. He has that wandering nobles stuff and actually the aristocrat headband is peak fashion. He has 5 noble's slender swords. No compromises. Whether I farm it or dupe it I'm getting all the new stuff. At base level +0.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I feel like we played different games or something. DS2 introduced enemies with inifnite length attack chains, infinite stamina, infinite poise, and basically made 90% of the combat into 'backstep, poke, repeat' on anything you couldn't backstab. It was slow in the same way fighting some shitty gimmick boss that forces you to be defensive 90% of the fight until it's heart pops out is slow. DS3 enemies actually flinched when you hit them, allowing for, you know, combat to exist instead of tree cutting simulator. I go into the souls games wanting to do something like mace + shield in every game and DS2 was a massive fucking disappointment in how that played.

I feel like we played different games or something. DS2 introduced enemies with inifnite length attack chains, infinite stamina, infinite poise, and basically made 90% of the combat into 'backstep, poke, repeat' on anything you couldn't backstab. It was slow in the same way fighting some shitty gimmick boss that forces you to be defensive 90% of the fight until it's heart pops out is slow. DS3 enemies actually flinched when you hit them, allowing for, you know, combat to exist instead of tree cutting simulator. I go into the souls games wanting to do something like mace + shield in every game and DS2 was a massive fucking disappointment in how that played.

Yes we definitely played different games. A lot of your complaints about DS II here is what annoyed me about DS III. Infinite attack chains, infinite stamina, having to be defensive most of the fight, lol those are the things I started noticing in DS III. It annoyed me so much I quit it at my first attempt to play through it and replayed DS II instead. I don't know, maybe there's some problem with maces in DS II that I wouldn't have a clue about because I never play maces, always find their movesets boring. DS II felt a bit harder than DS to me, but DS III is where things became frustrating.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom