Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Child of Malkav

Erudite
DS3 (the best game FromSoft has ever produced)
No, wrong. Objectively, by every measurable metric, wrong. DkS3 is a mistake of the universe.
when you meet Gael as an NPC he is normal-sized, but when you fight him as a boss he's super tall.
Yeah but by then he accumulated almost the whole Dark Soul so that's kinda scary as it's probably mutating him. Evident by the fact that as the fight goes on from phase to phase he becomes stronger not weaker, as he gains more abilities you try to take him out before he's growing out of control.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Ok, well, at least it's not nearly as bad as that incompetent pile of trash Bloodborne.
Eh, BB kinda did its own thing. The insight mechanic, the transforming weapons, the gun parry and rally system. Cool enough, different playstyle pushing, different philosophy. The atmosphere was insane though, almost palpable.

Rhobar121

Scholar
when you meet Gael as an NPC he is normal-sized, but when you fight him as a boss he's super tall.
Yeah but by then he accumulated almost the whole Dark Soul so that's kinda scary as it's probably mutating him. Evident by the fact that as the fight goes on from phase to phase he becomes stronger not weaker, as he gains more abilities you try to take him out before he's growing out of control.
Technically he loses his mind and becomes hollow.
Therefore, during phases 2 and 3, he takes increased damage from Hollowslayer Greatsword.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
It bothers me that you've still not picked up on the fact that I am trolling.

Bloodborne is unironically the best FS game. DS3 is pretty good, but not as good as DS1, obviously. And I haven't played DS2, but I condemn it.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Skinwalker
You make me laugh, ye who walks in someone else's skin.
BB is not the best, Sekiro is. Simple fact of life. How you deal with this esoteric knowledge is not my problem.
DkS2 is Best Souls 2. Get the names right.
You make me laugh walker in skin.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Dark Souls 2 is crap, it had some good ideas but for every good idea it introduced 2 shitty ones.
Tying stats to dodge ability was a stupid idea. It didn't even affect the animation speed, but the number of iframes, which is even stupider than it might seem.
Combine this with the worst hitboxes from From Software games (only Titanite Demon from DS1 can compare to them), estuses that are almost useless in combat due to their speed of use, unlimited and cheap healing items that deny the danger during exploration.
Random hordes of enemies appearing out of your ass that would put Elden Ring to shame and missing animation frames of some enemies (Heidge Knights) also don't help the game.

I also forgot the amount of shitty bosses is above average.
Putting a bunch of mobs in a room and giving them a huge health bar automatically doesn't make it a boss fight.
The amount of trash mobs during boss fights was never fun.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Tying stats to dodge ability was a stupid idea. It didn't even affect the animation speed, but the number of iframes, which is even stupider than it might seem.
Difficulty customization left up to the player. Git gud.
Combine this with the worst hitboxes from From Software games (only Titanite Demon from DS1 can compare to them)
Matter of opinion, from Demon's souls to ER shit boxes are present, they're not unique to DkS2.
estuses that are almost useless in combat due to their speed of us
Difficulty complaint, git gud.
cheap healing items that deny the danger during exploration.
True but it also allows the player to customize their difficulty together with the covenant of champions and the ADP stat.
Random hordes of enemies appearing out of your ass
Present in abundance in Roll Slop 3 and to an absurd degree in ER to the point where in catacombs for example when you reach a lever you know there's those thrall midget enemies on walls jumping on you bleeding you to death.
Ganks are present in DkS1 as well with enemies hanging off the ledges in undead burg for example climbing up and attacking you.

missing animation frames of some enemies (Heidge Knights)
I did notice something wrong with those knights with how fast they attacked, that's probably the explanation. Still, only one enemy type in the game that has this issue. All of a sudden game is unplayable?
Considering how many tools and options you have this is a non issue.

Barbarian

Arcane
Why are the tarnished regular sized humans while the empyreans, demigods and servants/peasants/aristocrats(i.e: original population of the lands between) are strangely tall and lanky humanoids with very long limbs? That is one graphic design decision I don't get.
It's like that thing where in DS3 (the best game FromSoft has ever developed) when you meet Gael as an NPC he is normal-sized, but when you fight him as a boss he's super tall.

Also, if you want a lorefag explanation, Marika is not a human but a "numen", and so her children are also at least half-numen. Maybe they're just taller by nature.

Well if you pick numen at character preset you don't have a giant long limbed avatar. There is really no lore explanation in the end. Melina is by all accounts a demigod, as is Millicent, and they are PC sized in the game world.

Still dully noted - "boss characters are big" is just a fromsoft convention in every game. Actually harkens to 8 and 16 bit oldschool gaming if you think about it.

finished-super-castlevania-snes-1991-v0-23cv90gqcm7a1.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Silva

Arcane
As for the moveset, I don't think they're the best weapons unless you pair them with bleed, rot, poison, frost status effects.
Yep, Eleonora has innate bleed and Peeler can be buffed with blackflame which makes each hit take 3% of the target life above the default damage per hit. This is huge.

So yeah, the condition effects coupled with their speeds is what breaks the game.

Rhobar121

Scholar
By this logic, you cannot criticize any aspect of the game.
Difficulty customization left up to the player. Git gud.
The fact that you literally have to waste 20 levels to get a DS1 level dodge is a shitty design, you literally feel bad developing your character.
Of course, you can beat SL1, but it is the most frustrating experience of all From Software games.
Of course, you can always put on shields and not give a damn (like most other mechanics in the game).
Combine this with the worst hitboxes from From Software games (only Titanite Demon from DS1 can compare to them)
Matter of opinion, from Demon's souls to ER shit boxes are present, they're not unique to DkS2.
Of course, shitty hitboxes are not exclusive to DS2, with the difference that it is most visible in this game.
In DS1 there was a unique enemy (he didn't respawn after being killed) in the form of a large headless demon. What set him apart from all other enemies in the game was his hitboxes, which were so bad that he could damage you when you were several meters away from him at the time of the hit. This was memorable mainly because he stood out in this respect from other enemies.

In DS2, the number of such enemies is exceptionally large.
Enemies that hit you even if they physically shouldn't be able to stand up, grabbing a player who is at the back of the mob are just some of the situations.

What compounds the problem is the outrageously low base iframes value when dodging.
In other games, the player might not even notice it due to the rather generous number of iframes.
Random hordes of enemies appearing out of your ass
Present in abundance in Roll Slop 3 and to an absurd degree in ER to the point where in catacombs for example when you reach a lever you know there's those thrall midget enemies on walls jumping on you bleeding you to death.
Ganks are present in DkS1 as well with enemies hanging off the ledges in undead burg for example climbing up and attacking you.
The difference is that in the case of DS1 there were almost always hordes of single-shot mobs, in DS2 the game can throw a horde of relatively strong mobs at you (e.g. the shitty ambush in Harvest Valley).
Comparing Elden Ring also makes no sense due to the number of additional tools at the player's disposal, but even then there are practically no hordes of dangerous enemies.
missing animation frames of some enemies (Heidge Knights)
I did notice something wrong with those knights with how fast they attacked, that's probably the explanation. Still, only one enemy type in the game that has this issue. All of a sudden game is unplayable?
Considering how many tools and options you have this is a non issue.
It's not just these knights, although they're probably the most famous shitty enemy in the game due to the fact that they appear so early in the game.

Rhobar121

Scholar
As for the moveset, I don't think they're the best weapons unless you pair them with bleed, rot, poison, frost status effects.
Yep, Eleonora has innate bleed and Peeler can be buffed with blackflame which makes each hit take 3% of the target life above the default damage per hit. This is huge.

So yeah, the condition effects coupled with their speeds is what breaks the game.
Poleblade is so good because it hits several times with each strike. If I remember correctly, it's probably 8 (or more) times using ash of war.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
By this logic, you cannot criticize any aspect of the game.
Like I said Best Souls 2.
The fact that you literally have to waste 20 levels to get a DS1 level dodge is a shitty design, you literally feel bad developing your character.
Of course, you can beat SL1, but it is the most frustrating experience of all From Software games.
Of course, you can always put on shields and not give a damn (like most other mechanics in the game).
It's more RPG than action (get a hint of where you're posting this right now) which means stats have higher importance and value.
Like I said you have multiple options and tools that allow you to face any challenge. And yeah, use shields, perfectly viable, just like in ER.
Of course, shitty hitboxes are not exclusive to DS2, with the difference that it is most visible in this game.
In DS1 there was a unique enemy (he didn't respawn after being killed) in the form of a large headless demon.
Of course they're more visible in in this game since it went through dev hell. And even so it innovated, it added things, some good, some bad. People just consider the bad while ignoring the soul of the game and the passion that went into it.
In DS1 there was a unique enemy (he didn't respawn after being killed) in the form of a large headless demon. What set him apart from all other enemies in the game was his hitboxes, which were so bad that he could damage you when you were several meters away from him at the time of the hit. This was memorable mainly because he stood out in this respect from other enemies.
IDK wtf, we're talking about Best Souls 2 not DkS1.
In DS2, the number of such enemies is exceptionally large.
No, especially when compared to Roll Slop 3 and ER. The example with the catacombs was not singular. You have ulcerated tree spirits, death rite birds, bats and others that appear when you approach apparently a single item just lying there in the middle of nowhere.
Enemies that hit you even if they physically shouldn't be able to stand up
Provide an example of this as I don't remember. You talk about the hollows that lie down and get up to attack you?
grabbing a player who is at the back of the mob
That's the famous mimic. It's not a hitbox issue it's an animation issue. Couldn't understand the technical explanation of it but the short version is that orientation of the chest and the orientation of the actual enemy is not the same. Plus in some cases when the player rolls through the grab attack, instead of the grab animation playing it instead queues up and lets the rolling animation finish before the grab animation starts. That's why it "teleports" the character. It's a bug and have no excuse they didn't fix it.
The difference is that in the case of DS1 there were almost always hordes of single-shot mobs, in DS2 the game can throw a horde of relatively strong mobs at you (e.g. the shitty ambush in Harvest Valley).
Comparing Elden Ring also makes no sense due to the number of additional tools at the player's disposal, but even then there are practically no hordes of dangerous enemies.
Wrong, most of the time they're 1 or 2 shot enemies and in your example of Harvest Valley (unclear which one) you have access to "funnels" most of the time where you can deal with the enemies one by one. Plus you have alluring skulls or yearn to lure them.
Comparison to ER is adequate as before ER DkS2 was known to offer the most amount of tools and options to subdue the threats in the game. Weapons, spells, consumables, armors with different effects etc.
It's not just these knights, although they're probably the most famous shitty enemy in the game due to the fact that they appear so early in the game.
Cool, when you find out more let me know.
About the knights, you can avoid them and if you can't then cheese them or summon, or use spells or other consumables or simply come back later once you gave some way to deal with them.
And the game is nonlinear, go explore other areas, grab everything you can, level up, come back, push through.

You get 60-80 more levels per playthrough in DSII than you would in DS but oh no losing 20 levels to ADP stat will ruin your build. Unplayable!

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Well if you pick numen at character preset you don't have a giant long limbed avatar. There is really no lore explanation in the end. Melina is by all accounts a demigod, as is Millicent, and they are PC sized in the game world.
That doesn't mean much, you can also pick a "Nox" preset and get a normal-sized humanoid with grey skin, but the actual Nox in-game are noticeably taller... well, some of them, at least.

Machocruz

Arcane
Keep going guys, haven't completed Dark Souls 2 Is The Worst bingo. "Elevator to Iron Kep ain't riiiiiight!!!" :tearsandboogers

Barbarian

Arcane
If I begin the game now and stop after beating Mohg - i.e: having a "dlc ready" save everything should work right?

I mean apparently they are not adding anything to base game areas.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
If I begin the game now and stop after beating Mohg - i.e: having a "dlc ready" save everything should work right?

I'm 99.9% certain you could have a post-ending cutscene character, and everything will still work fine.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter

You seem scared of it for some reason. Have you had bad experiences in the past with From Soft DLC? They always work fine! I'm sorry, your questions are strange.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Worst case scenario, you could just start ng+ and complete the quest for Varre within 2 hours and get teleported to Mogh.

Cheesedragon117

Educated

Yes, but you'll have to beat Starscourge Radahn, too. I recommend just beating the whole game and reaching between Rune Level 120 to 150. That way you'll have a completed build ready to face anything the DLC can throw at you. You don't have to worry about being overlevelled, since they're using a new difficulty scaling mechanic to the DLC, independent of Rune Level.

I don't know what got you started thinking that would be the case. Do you know what an expansion is? Just that, an expansion of the base game.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter

Yes, but you'll have to beat Starscourge Radahn, too. I recommend just beating the whole game and reaching between Rune Level 120 to 150. That way you'll have a completed build ready to face anything the DLC can throw at you. You don't have to worry about being overlevelled, since they're using a new difficulty scaling mechanic to the DLC, independent of Rune Level.

I don't know what got you started thinking that would be the case. Do you know what an expansion is? Just that, an expansion of the base game.
Is he worried he's going to be overpowered or underpowered? Or is he worried he wont have immediate access to the expansion? My phylosophy on expansions and video games as a whole is to dive in penis first. Imagine your cock is a mighty sword and the game is at your mercy. That's how I beat video games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom