Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

FugueLah

Scholar
i literally picked hobo because he doesn't have extra points in dress wearing from the start and i can fully ignore magic. and it's my first fs game since first dark souls.
You are also an RPG autist with 30k posts on the dex. Not exactly an everyday gamer.

FugueLah

Scholar
fs games are not rpgs tho so your point is retarded
The point is that who your are informs your choices in games. Choices that are not representative of the general playerbase. Ironically, most of those players would consider Elden Ring to be an RPG despite what you think it is.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
God damn was dlc radahn a fucking nightmare, finally managed to beat him just now, just barely by proccing frostbite one last time when I had basically no health left and no more heals. Fucking jesus couldn't even see what he was doing half the time because of the light show. Fuck I never want to fight that boss again.

FugueLah

Scholar
God damn was dlc radahn a fucking nightmare, finally managed to beat him just now, just barely by proccing frostbite one last time when I had basically no health left and no more heals. Fucking jesus couldn't even see what he was doing half the time because of the light show. Fuck I never want to fight that boss again.
By the time I got to him, my patience for learning another fight had ran out, so I unashamedly went over to Renalla and speced for great shield poke. Mimic tear and Ansbach, and I killed him on the second attempt. GG ez game.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
fs games are not rpgs tho so your point is retarded
how is elden ring not an rpg? it's absolutely a jrpg and not just because it's made in oppailand. check the video that somebody linked above where the guy one shots the bosses. if it wasn't an rpg, that wouldn't be possible

Stoned Ape

Savant
An actual JRPG is something like an early Final Fantasy, Octopath Traveller, Falcom Trails of... game, Dragon Quest, or Xenogears.

If anything Elden ring is an ARPG that happened to be developed in Japan; it shares no combat mechanics with an actual JRPG.

Vic

Savant
it shares no combat mechanics with an actual JRPG.
Doesn't it play similar to Nier? I think ER is an action JRPG. there is more emphasis on player skill but that's the only major difference. seems like you can still grind / cheese to become OP like in other JRPGs. You can't do that in zelda for example which is more action than rpg.

also jrpg doesn't have to be party based, Ys series comes to mind. Also Dragon's Dogma might be similar tho I haven't played it.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
The vagabond looks nothing like Dark souls knights.

U4VojRy.png

Stoned Ape

Savant
Doesn't it play similar to Nier? I think ER is an action JRPG. there is more emphasis on player skill but that's the only major difference. seems like you can still grind / cheese to become OP like in other JRPGs. You can't do that in zelda for example which is more action than rpg.

also jrpg doesn't have to be party based, Ys series comes to mind. Also Dragon's Dogma might be similar tho I haven't played it.
I've not played Nier, so I don't know about that.

Ys seems to be more commonly described as an ARPG with a JRPG story structure than anything else.

Elden Ring can be beaten at level 1 if you are good enough, so while grinding is an option it is not needed as player skill/knowledge can compensate.

Elden Ring does not have the traditional narrative-heavy, linear structure of a JRPG.

Dragon's Dogma has stronger RPG elements than Elden Ring, skills are character-based and gained by increasing vocation ranks rather than gear based, and you have a party.

I'd also suggest the Dragon's Dogma series are ARPGs more than traditional JRPGs.

Vic

Savant

I've not played Nier, so I don't know about that.

Ys seems to be more commonly described as an ARPG with a JRPG story structure than anything else.

Elden Ring can be beaten at level 1 if you are good enough, so while grinding is an option it is not needed as player skill/knowledge can compensate.

Elden Ring does not have the traditional narrative-heavy, linear structure of a JRPG.

Dragon's Dogma has stronger RPG elements than Elden Ring, skills are character-based and gained by increasing vocation ranks rather than gear based, and you have a party.

I'd also suggest the Dragon's Dogma series are ARPGs more than traditional JRPGs.
ARPG for me and other ARPG players usually means Diablo-like, so I would call ER an Action RPG, not ARPG, which means the same thing on paper but the term 'ARPG' is reserved for stuff like Last Epoch, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile. It's weird I know but that's how it is.

so I guess we can agree that Elden Ring is an Action RPG made in Japan?

I mean it's certainly an RPG.

Hell Swarm

Learned
By the time I got to him, my patience for learning another fight had ran out, so I unashamedly went over to Renalla and speced for great shield poke. Mimic tear and Ansbach, and I killed him on the second attempt. GG ez game.
The type of person arguing over Elden Ring.. "I couldn't beat it with skill so I respected into the I win button and did it that way instead".
The vagabond looks nothing like Dark souls knights.

U4VojRy.png
Doesn't look very close to the shining knights of the past and that's what you see in a non-default view. The default class select looks like this.

20240710113830-1.jpg

20240710113840-1.jpg

The vagabond doesn't look any more knightly than the warrior does. While the samurai is in full armour.

FugueLah

Scholar
The type of person arguing over Elden Ring.. "I couldn't beat it with skill so I respected into the I win button and did it that way instead".
I didn't even try to beat it with skill. The second phase is bullshit and I just wanted to finish the game at that point. How many attempts did it take you to kill Radahn with your 'ethical' build?

Reinhardt

Arcane
better to be in jrpg subforum than in bethesda subforum
the open world exploration in bethesda games is a million times better
lol. they are literally same picture. "empty shitty cave in the middle of nowhere with shitty sword as reward and shortcut to the start" and "empty shitty cave in the middle of nowhere with shitty sword as reward and teleport to the start"

Hell Swarm

Learned
I didn't even try to beat it with skill. The second phase is bullshit and I just wanted to finish the game at that point. How many attempts did it take you to kill Radahn with your 'ethical' build?
Between 5-10 hours as I recall but I threw myself at it until I beat it when I should have taken a break and come back fresh. Still felt good knowing I beat him on my own terms using the same weapons I used to beat Demon's souls all those years ago. A lot more fun than holding L1 and pressing R1 over and over.

better to be in jrpg subforum than in bethesda subforum
the open world exploration in bethesda games is a million times better
lol. they are literally same picture. "empty shitty cave in the middle of nowhere with shitty sword as reward and shortcut to the start" and "empty shitty cave in the middle of nowhere with shitty sword as reward and teleport to the start"
this is one of the few true improvements in the DLC. The side dungeons are now quality dungeons with unique layouts and some times new areas locked behind them. From actually listened to fan feedback and improved them. While Bethesda er... put another cactus patch for you to scan in on an empty planet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom