Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Nathir

Liturgist

What is your favourite main game boss?

Godfrey/Hoarah Loux, best boss in the whole franchise.

Favourite DLC boss?

Bayle.

What was your most used weapon for the base game and did you switch for the DLC?

Greataxe. No, didn't switch. Maybe I'll try out some new weapons with another char.

Nathir

Liturgist
Anyway, I finally did the DLC and beat the final boss today. After wiping for hours almost everyday I got home from work for almost a week... I was repedeatly getting him to 10-20% yesterday only to somehow die in the end. Got him today in around 10 attempts, no summons. Is this the hardest Souls boss? Certainly is up there with Malenia, not sure if harder. 2nd phase is very frustrating, with too much particle effects and every attack having a secondary lingering hitbox. Many times I thought "this is the try" only to get hit by a random lingering light pillar that messed up my dodge. I must say I did beginn to enjoy the fight towards the end, but I do think 2nd phase is too much bullshit, and they should rethink these concepts.

Rest of the bosses were not that bad as people made them out to be, the only one who I thought was unfun and BS to fight was commander Gaiuss.

Final thoughts on the DLC... I must say I am kinda dissapointed in the end. The environments and visuals are awesome, same as in the base game. I had fun exploring and just running through the world. I had fun fighting the bosses (except Gaiuss). But I was left dissapointed with the narrative and story. Miquella - Radahn connection was non-existant and came out of nowhere. Did Malenia really go after Radahn just so that Miquella could have his body? I thought she went because she wanted to make the stars move again... which I still think would have been a better reason than this out of nowhere plan. Marika backstory is alright I guess, didn't really think we needed that part explained, and it's about ancient stuff that already happened, nothing concerning the shattering and the base game. Messmer for how he was built up and what a cool character he is, didn't really leave enough impact in the end too, storywise. The NPCS were really well done though, liked all of them.

The thing which bothered me the most is that we got thematically recycled stuff from the base game. For instance did we really need a rot related boss in the game? Romina really bothered me, not sure why we needed a random area with rot pests and a related boss. Midra is frenzied flame related. Really cool atmosphere and fight, but still. The putrescence knight is undead related. Gaius is a mounted warrior using gravity magic. We get a dragon boss. Dancing lion is crucible/omen related, just like all hornsent, but this is done well enough I admit. Rellana is carian royalty... Not sure where I'm going with this but all these bosses have unique models and animations and I loved fighting them and they are all super cool... but they all remind me of a concept from the base game. Except for Metyr.

Not saying they are badly made or implemented... but I expected something different? Maybe my expectations are at fault but this DLC reminds me of some kinda meta-narrative, just like DS3. Like are the forbbiden things here leaking out into the lands between because of the shattering? It didn't seem that much different. Am I not getting something? Why force Radahn as the promised consort for Miquella? Again, it came out of nowhere, is there some meaning that I'm missing here? Will have to mull on everything a bit and replay with another char... Still, I enjoyed it but this is basically more of the same, albeit well done. I expected something more as far as the story and the overall narrative go.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
But I was left dissapointed with the narrative and story. Miquella - Radahn connection was non-existant and came out of nowhere. Did Malenia really go after Radahn just so that Miquella could have his body?
Milenia had to kill Radahn so his soul could be implanted into a new body as part of the God ceremony.
Romina really bothered me, not sure why we needed a random area with rot pests and a related boss.
She's one of the best bosses and she's supposed to contrast with Millenia. She accepted the rot and became strong while the other rejected it. It's an interesting contrast and the fights one of the coolest in the DLC IMO.
Why force Radahn as the promised consort for Miquella?
Real reason is the same reason Solaire is mentioned over and over after Dark souls 1. Fans demanded more of him and From will give the fanboys what they want. There was so much talk about him non-infected that it lead to them making it a fight. I agree it was forced and I wanted to fight the twink instead. A boss trying to charm you and using illusions could have been an amazing boss fight. Imagine him using illusions to change the environment as you fought. And as he gets not damaged the illusions start breaking like mirrors. There's so many ways to use him that weren't a single grab attack.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Just beat Gaius. What an absolute cunt of a pigfucker that guy is. I had to use my Mimic Tear for the first time in the DLC during the fight, I tried a few times without it and his aggression is so extreme I couldn't catch a break to heal.

I think the least fun things I've encountered in the DLC so far are him and the furnace golems. At least he's dead now.

ELDEN-RING-10-07-2024-23-09-38.png

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
A boss trying to charm you and using illusions could have been an amazing boss fight. Imagine him using illusions to change the environment as you fought. And as he gets not damaged the illusions start breaking like mirrors. There's so many ways to use him that weren't a single grab attack.

Would have been a cool idea, and the community (who conveniently forgot that Demon's Souls existed) screeching "gimmick fight!" would have been pure gold.

Ravielsk

Magister
But I was left dissapointed with the narrative and story. Miquella - Radahn connection was non-existant and came out of nowhere. Did Malenia really go after Radahn just so that Miquella could have his body? I thought she went because she wanted to make the stars move again... which I still think would have been a better reason than this out of nowhere plan. Marika backstory is alright I guess, didn't really think we needed that part explained, and it's about ancient stuff that already happened, nothing concerning the shattering and the base game. Messmer for how he was built up and what a cool character he is, didn't really leave enough impact in the end too, storywise. The NPCS were really well done though, liked all of them.
I think a good chunk of the problem is how barren in terms of story the base game is.
Miquella and Malenia are barely characters in the base game.
Radahn is mentioned only as far as what happened to him in Caelid.
Marika is well... she isn't even really in the base game to begin with.

So when the game serves you a revelation about Marika's motivations it just kind of rings hollow because its a revelation about a character you really know nothing about. Same with Miquella, Malenia and Radahn. The base gives us so little info about them that additional revelations about their relationship and goals do no register as "HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WHAT A TWIST" but more like "oh, I guess that is ok?"

Compare that to Arthorias from DS1 who was very much a character even in the base game and had a backstory worth exploring as the two versions of his sword you could get told mutually contradictory versions on his story. Then the DLC came and cleared up all that confusion. Same with Dusk and Oolacile. It was all setup ahead of time and therefore had some real impact.

In ER the best we got in terms of setup is the description of the Numen race possibly hinting at Marika not always being a goddess but otherwise nothing. So the revelations about nothing also feel like nothing.

Stoned Ape

Savant
But I was left dissapointed with the narrative and story. Miquella - Radahn connection was non-existant and came out of nowhere. Did Malenia really go after Radahn just so that Miquella could have his body? I thought she went because she wanted to make the stars move again... which I still think would have been a better reason than this out of nowhere plan. Marika backstory is alright I guess, didn't really think we needed that part explained, and it's about ancient stuff that already happened, nothing concerning the shattering and the base game. Messmer for how he was built up and what a cool character he is, didn't really leave enough impact in the end too, storywise. The NPCS were really well done though, liked all of them.
I think a good chunk of the problem is how barren in terms of story the base game is.
Miquella and Malenia are barely characters in the base game.
Radahn is mentioned only as far as what happened to him in Caelid.
Marika is well... she isn't even really in the base game to begin with.

So when the game serves you a revelation about Marika's motivations it just kind of rings hollow because its a revelation about a character you really know nothing about. Same with Miquella, Malenia and Radahn. The base gives us so little info about them that additional revelations about their relationship and goals do no register as "HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WHAT A TWIST" but more like "oh, I guess that is ok?"

Compare that to Arthorias from DS1 who was very much a character even in the base game and had a backstory worth exploring as the two versions of his sword you could get told mutually contradictory versions on his story. Then the DLC came and cleared up all that confusion. Same with Dusk and Oolacile. It was all setup ahead of time and therefore had some real impact.

In ER the best we got in terms of setup is the description of the Numen race possibly hinting at Marika not always being a goddess but otherwise nothing. So the revelations about nothing also feel like nothing.
Speaking of stuff they've not elaborated on I kind of wish they'd include a hint (other than the rambling of one ghost) about why Marika's other illegitimate children have all been beheaded and left in the wandering Mausoleums. Is it something to do with their being cursed?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So far i'm enjoying the whole Hornsent genocide sub-plot i haven't got the faintest clue or interest about Miquella lol.

Reinhardt

Arcane
lol, "story". storyfag playthrough is basically "you've met an npc. much later you can loot his corpse." as opposed to combatfag's "you've met an npc and looted his corpse at first meeting."

Stoned Ape

Savant
So, am I correct in assuming that Marika was Jarred like the other shamans, but she successfully resurrected as a saint and that is why the Hornsent say she betrayed them (they gave her the 'gift' of sainthood and she responded by destroying their civilisation as revenge for the genocide of her people)?

Was Radagon originally one of the others that were interred in the jar with her? Were her many children (if you count the beheaded demigods in the wandering mausoleums she has a lot) also formed from pieces of other people who ended up in the jar with her?

Is that why she cracked like a pot when the Elden Ring shattered?

FugueLah

Scholar
So, am I correct in assuming that Marika was Jarred like the other shamans, but she successfully resurrected as a saint and that is why the Hornsent say she betrayed them (they gave her the 'gift' of sainthood and she responded by destroying their civilisation as revenge for the genocide of her people)?

Was Radagon originally one of the others that were interred in the jar with her? Were her many children (if you count the beheaded demigods in the wandering mausoleums she has a lot) also formed from pieces of other people who ended up in the jar with her?

Is that why she cracked like a pot when the Elden Ring shattered?
Marika was not jarred. She seduced and betrayed the Hornsent leader, who perhaps had been planning to become god himself. She became a god instead. Marika's people were jarred because their flesh can merge with other life (which explains Godric's grafting). The living jars purpose is to store life in preparation for a mass sacrifice at the divine gate. This mass sacrifice is what channels the crucible, allowing ascension into godhood.

Dobkeratops

Literate
Elden Ring’s Igon on Recording His Role in the Erdtree DLC and Meeting Miyazaki: ‘It Was Epic in There’

Zanzibart forgive me for reposting an ign article but this was pretty good. Especially the bit about Miyazaki being this mysterious vaguely sinister taskmaster and Igon memes.

I’m not the only one who’s been showing Lintern Igon memes. He tells me his son keeps sending references and asking him what “Curse you, Bayle,” means, but up until now Lintern hasn’t had a helpful answer.

Hell Swarm

Learned
He'll be getting credit for investing Pac-man next
Namco Bandai owns Pac-Man, Namco Bandai getting rights to publish Demon's Souls in the West saved this company from bankruptcy, meaning that Miyazaki indirectly invested into Pac-Man.
Demon's souls didn't sell very well. It was Dark souls that took off. But the interview is "Miyazaki stood in the back and I spent 5 hours talking to Adam and recording lines in what could have been done in 10 minutes". Which isn't a glowing endorsement. Sounds wasteful and hard on people's voices for no reason.

Odoryuk

Educated
Demon's souls didn't sell very well. It was Dark souls that took off.
Right, I mixed two things together. Though, them already publishing Demon's Souls helped to get Dark Souls as well.
But the interview is "Miyazaki stood in the back and I spent 5 hours talking to Adam and recording lines in what could have been done in 10 minutes". Which isn't a glowing endorsement. Sounds wasteful and hard on people's voices for no reason.
Based on the performance it was well worth it. I remember people making fun of English Gyobu Masataka Oniwa voice acting in Sekiro and memeing it because it felt kinda funny.
Igon's voice lines are being almost worshipped, it sounds so powerful and sincere. There's a lot of memes with his voice and they all fucking badass. You can't make something like this in 10 minutes.

Not summoning Igon for Bayle is playing the game wrong™, and it's all thanks to his voice acting.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Demon's souls didn't sell very well. It was Dark souls that took off.
Right, I mixed two things together. Though, them already publishing Demon's Souls helped to get Dark Souls as well.
But the interview is "Miyazaki stood in the back and I spent 5 hours talking to Adam and recording lines in what could have been done in 10 minutes". Which isn't a glowing endorsement. Sounds wasteful and hard on people's voices for no reason.
Based on the performance it was well worth it. I remember people making fun of English Gyobu Masataka Oniwa voice acting in Sekiro and memeing it because it felt kinda funny.
Igon's voice lines are being almost worshipped, it sounds so powerful and sincere. There's a lot of memes with his voice and they all fucking badass. You can't make something like this in 10 minutes.

Not summoning Igon for Bayle is playing the game wrong™, and it's all thanks to his voice acting.
I missed him sadly. I went in to die to Bayle to see what he could do and then he was dead by accident. I would have summoned him. He's a brilliant actor and deserves all the praise. So does this Adam dude who actually directed him and helped him understand how game voice acting works. Which is why I don't like all the Miyazaki praise. At least 2 other men did a more important job but he's the one having smoke blown up his ass the entire article.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom