Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Cheesedragon117

Educated
first problem. in caria manor, in the room with sword of night game died when i opened the map. had to restart pc.
Hmm, that's an odd way to crash.... Hold on. Did you just.... call a location by it's proper name?!

By Jove, he's doing it! He's learning English!

....except The Old Hunters for Bloodborne and The Ringed City for DS3 didn't do that. In fact, they wrapped up every loose end and gave us a strong feeling of closure for the over-arching plot. That's one of the reasons this DLC feels somewhat unfinished. The narrative gave us some answers but felt meandering and directionless.

SotE is practically begging for a smaller, Ringed City-style follow-up DLC that answers big questions but as mentioned before, probably not happening.
I would not say "wrapped up" more like both retconned their respective games and offered a conclusion within that retcon. The Hunters DLC twisted all the events of the Yharnam around Kos who in the vanilla game was barely a name drop and for the most part was just cut content. It basically makes the moon presence look like a non-factor and side steps the Pthumerians and the Vile bloods completely. Its not so much a conclusion to the vanilla game but more like a conclusion to what the game could have been.

The ringed city similarly made a major retcon by making Gwyn directly aware and allied with the Furtive Pygmy and the Dark Soul. Thus making turning all of DS1 on its head because in that game the dilemma around the "dark soul" and the "age of humanity" was built entirely on the fact that nobody knew what it would look like or entail. He was holding back the age of dark because he could never know if it was just a different state of the world or straight up apocalypse... or so we though because after the ringed city Gwyn was essentially retconned into a power hungry clown who basically fucked up the world and himself because he did not feel like retiring.
The end of Ringed City certainly recontextualizes Gwyn's character, but it's a bit of a stretch to say it was an out-and-out retcon. There WAS nothing to retcon, since we knew less than nothing about the Furtive Pygmy beforehand. And Gwyn was always power-hungry and tyrannical. He sealed the Pygmy Lords and their civilization into a pocket dimension out-of-time. He still definitely might have thought the proliferation of the Darkness of Man would lead to an apocalypse (which it sorta does, look at what happened after you woke up Filianore...).

Same with Old Hunters, they gave us the origins of Bergenwerth, the Healing Church, the horrific experiments, and how the Hunters and the Hunter's Dream came to be. It doesn't feel like they were trying to sidestep anything that happens in the base game, just give a greater context to certain events. Again, there was nothing really to "retcon".

Last edited:
Turns out Elden Ring was Dark Souls 2-2 all along

maxresdefault.jpg

wkBpBgW.png
The lead for DS2 is also a lead in ER. ER vindicates almost everything he did in that game.

Hell Swarm

Learned
He still definitely might have thought the proliferation of the Darkness of Man would lead to an apocalypse (which it sorta does, look at what happened after you woke up Filianore...).
Filanore has nothing to do with the Dark, it is Gwyn locking time and someone breaking the seal so time catches up. The problems we see with Dark are often because someone fucked with it rather than left it alone and let nature take it's course. If Manus was never messed with the Abyss may have never expanded and taken over the forest hunter area, but even then it doesn't fully consume it.

What are some weird and fun ways to play Elden ring? I'm considering a NG+ run using a dumb build. I'm thinking maybe sleep and eternal sleep? I want to see what this game has to offer so I was tempted to respec into arcane or something.

I really really hate From nerfing things that weren't a problem while the DLC runs rampant with broken stuff. The medium bubble weapon was really good at staggering but it had a long wind up and made you really vulnerable. The DLC patched it so it no longer staggers (it can but it's effectively impossible before you kill things). I'd gone through the game using exclusively bubbles and done a pretty good job of things. But the nerfed version is completely unusable for it's weapon art. If they had lowered the damage I could have accepted it, or made the stagger a little worse but it's pointless now. It's a really sad state of affairs. There's no balance in Elden ring's bullshit so why did the bubbles of all things take a hit? No one was breaking PvP with bubbles and a lot of bosses resisted holy on top of a long casting time.

Silverfish

Arbiter
What are some weird and fun ways to play Elden ring? I'm considering a NG+ run using a dumb build.

I've always been partial to class runs, wherein you stick with your class' starting gear, other than consumables of course. ER seems particularly well suited for it, considering samurai, thief and vagabond all have great shit.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I don't like larping restrictions. The game should enforce restrictions, not you gimping yourself on purpose. Time to install mods buddy, become the thing you hate the most, a retarded modder.

Odoryuk

Educated
I would not say "wrapped up" more like both retconned their respective games and offered a conclusion within that retcon. The Hunters DLC twisted all the events of the Yharnam around Kos who in the vanilla game was barely a name drop and for the most part was just cut content. It basically makes the moon presence look like a non-factor and side steps the Pthumerians and the Vile bloods completely. Its not so much a conclusion to the vanilla game but more like a conclusion to what the game could have been.

The ringed city similarly made a major retcon by making Gwyn directly aware and allied with the Furtive Pygmy and the Dark Soul. Thus making turning all of DS1 on its head because in that game the dilemma around the "dark soul" and the "age of humanity" was built entirely on the fact that nobody knew what it would look like or entail. He was holding back the age of dark because he could never know if it was just a different state of the world or straight up apocalypse... or so we though because after the ringed city Gwyn was essentially retconned into a power hungry clown who basically fucked up the world and himself because he did not feel like retiring.
None of this is a retcon.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
What are some weird and fun ways to play Elden ring?
If you play it using only your tongue to manipulate the controller, you can use that to make chicks horny b/c they'll think you're really good at oral sex. That's a win/win situation. GL buddy.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, almost managed to burst Rellana, still had to deal with her balls in my face at the end because the last bleed didn't proc in time, but i was still able to brutalize her:

Paging my dear and good friend Hell Swarm for comment.

Wonder for how long i'm going to be able to get away with this without Scadutree Blessings. So far my damage is still good and even her damage wasn't unfair.

Hell Swarm

Learned
What are some weird and fun ways to play Elden ring?
If you play it using only your tongue to manipulate the controller, you can use that to make chicks horny b/c they'll think you're really good at oral sex. That's a win/win situation. GL buddy.
Why would you want a chick to think you're going to go down on her? She should know you're only going to fuck her in the ass and call her Barry.
Paging my dear and good friend @Hell Swarm for comment.
You should kill yourself and until your amazon order of rope arrives you should stay in your containment thread. No one cares and your tiny dick being on display shows how pathetic you are.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't like larping restrictions. The game should enforce restrictions, not you gimping yourself on purpose.

Larping is the best way, it's the "gimping" part that is not needed.

My preferred method is to combine LARPing with efficiency, find the "best" way to pursue a particular concept. Stick to the idea without intentionally making things worse for yourself.

You can control the difficutly of the game by limiting your level or weapon upgrade, there's no need to limit your options and reduce gameplay variety.

That said, if i were to take a character to NG+, i would just opt to not use any upgraded gear and threat the run as if it was a fresh character, while pursuing a completely different build. I was never able to just play the same thing twice or many times over. The only time i even took a character beyond NG+ was to get all the achievements in Dark Souls but that was a one time off.

My favored part in any RPG is the progression. If your build is complete and if you already have everything in the game i don't see the value of starting over with the same character. If there was a way to turn a normal game into NG+ (or something like that convenant in DS2 that made everything harder) i would gladly take that option over carrying a complete character into another playthrough.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What are some weird and fun ways to play Elden ring? I'm considering a NG+ run using a dumb build.

I've always been partial to class runs, wherein you stick with your class' starting gear, other than consumables of course. ER seems particularly well suited for it, considering samurai, thief and vagabond all have great shit.

One idea i was toying with is to make "base" class runs as a substitute to a SL1 run.

The concept of starting with nothing and having to get really clever to maximize your low stats with gear and abilities is one of the main attractions to play a SL1 character but once you do it once all the mystery is gone. Picking another class while sticking to its "base" level might make for a bit of an easier experience but would also open up new combinations and possibilities while keeping the basic idea of a SL1 character. This is all the more so since some starting classes are deficient in certain things where as the Wretch is even in everything. So even if the other starting classes are a bit higher in level they also have deficiencies there Wretch doesn't have.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Challenge runs aren't "basically speed runs" but they're generally very ghey. Except randomizers which are a fucking blast.

Depends. SL1 runs are the opposite of speed runs. Any level or increase of power is by its own nature a "short cut" you are taking, which as a consequence speeds up the game.

If we are talking about stuff like playing the whole game without rolling, or doing a no bonfire run etc, yes, that is quite retarded. But SL1 runs don't belong in that category and in fact were quite clearly intended by FromSoft to begin with. It's a legitimate way to play the game that opens up a lot of strategy and makes your resources feel much more valuable.

Finishing the game as SL1 also makes NG+ genuinely viable, as opposed to just some pointless continuation of a character that is essentially done and complete.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

SotE is practically begging for a smaller, Ringed City-style follow-up DLC that answers big questions but as mentioned before, probably not happening.

Which are?

From my PoV this lore is so entirely fucked up I don't even know what the questions are, let alone the answers.

From my part i don't want a DLC because there's too much game as it is. There was too much game already even before this DLC. I don't care enough about the lore to desire even MORE of what is already an excessively large game just to have some made up stuff "explained".

Of course, i personally never cared much about the lore. I always found the art direction to be far more interesting than the story in all FromSoft games i've played. The Dancing Lion was a case in point for why i like this company. The part in the cutscene where the lion's head slowly tilts towards you, gazing at you as if it were real was genuinely unsettling. They just have this seriousness about them that compansates for all the animu shit that still ends up in their games because Japanese people can't help themselves in that regard.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You should kill yourself and until your amazon order of rope arrives you should stay in your containment thread. No one cares and your tiny dick being on display shows how pathetic you are.

Look bro, no need to get upset. We can all get along here.

Too much negativity in this thread anyway, even by Codex standards. You guys need to take care of that sand in your vagina.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom