Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

ADL

Prophet
CDKeys delivers
5Iqxxyq.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The hyperbole hype is reaching unprecedented levels.

From The Guardian review:

Video games can be all kinds of different things, representing all manner of artistic ambitions. Most, however, share a common goal: to conjure a compelling fictional reality, filled with beckoning mysteries, enchanting secrets, and enriching opportunities to compete and collaborate. They aim to provide a liminal space in which a determined player can fix that which is broken, order that which is chaotic.

By this definition, at least, Elden Ring is the finest video game yet made.

Jesus Christ.

:shredder:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The hyperbole hype is reaching unprecedented levels.

From The Guardian review:

Video games can be all kinds of different things, representing all manner of artistic ambitions. Most, however, share a common goal: to conjure a compelling fictional reality, filled with beckoning mysteries, enchanting secrets, and enriching opportunities to compete and collaborate. They aim to provide a liminal space in which a determined player can fix that which is broken, order that which is chaotic.

Jesus Christ.

:shredder:

Repent sinners! The CITIZEN KANE of videogames has been released!

There is no way the game is that good.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Imagine saying something like this after having barely played the game and then not hanging yourself. Journalists are the scum of the human species, wasting high-sounding words on subjects they barely understand only to cope with their inability to become successful writers.

praetor

Arcane
the decline of this thread is mindboggling and unbelievable

being hyped because game journos, beings so incredibly dumb they can't wake up from bed without tripping over their fedoras, shitheads so corrupt they make the average politician look like the reincarnation of Jesus Christ, give it 10/10... these fuckers don't understand tetris and pong, but you think their "analysis" of ER is relevant? they give 10/10 to literally every major game, you think they wouldn't to the most anticipated game of recent memory? how dumb are you, motherfuckers? "buh buh From has made one truly great game in the past 7 years! so the hype means it's actually great". wow... i mean, just by the quotes posted here, half (if not all) of them aren't even close to finishing the goddamned game

and then you dare mock the GRPG degenerates? by comparison, they're smarter than noble prize winners

i mean, one of DS2's biggest shortcomings was that (with DLCs included) it was way too big (yes, that's what your moms said over the past week), and this will be even bigger and that's somehow a good thing? after the hype dies down, i'm willing to bet it will be one of the major criticisms

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Imagine saying something like this after having barely played the game and then not hanging yourself. Journalists are the scum of the human species, wasting high-sounding words on subjects they barely understand only to cope with their inability to become successful writers.

Video games can be all kinds of different things, representing all manner of artistic ambitions. Most, however, share a common goal: to represent one set of pixels subsuming other sets of pixels.

By this definition, at least, Pac-Man is the finest video game yet made.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
From having looked at TVs for a couple of days, one thing I learned is nobody has ever complained about things being too big

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Video games can be all kinds of different things, representing all manner of artistic ambitions. Most, however, share a common goal: to represent one set of pixels subsuming other sets of pixels.

By this definition, at least, Pac-Man is the finest video game yet made.
Role-playing video games can be all kinds of different things, representing all manner of artistic ambitions. Most, however, share a common goal: to provide a liminal space in which to add numbers.

By this definition, at least, Microsoft Excel is the finest role-playing videogame yet made.

Mortmal

Arcane
the decline of this thread is mindboggling and unbelievable

being hyped because game journos, beings so incredibly dumb they can't wake up from bed without tripping over their fedoras, shitheads so corrupt they make the average politician look like the reincarnation of Jesus Christ, give it 10/10... these fuckers don't understand tetris and pong, but you think their "analysis" of ER is relevant? they give 10/10 to literally every major game, you think they wouldn't to the most anticipated game of recent memory? how dumb are you, motherfuckers? "buh buh From has made one truly great game in the past 7 years! so the hype means it's actually great". wow... i mean, just by the quotes posted here, half (if not all) of them aren't even close to finishing the goddamned game

and then you dare mock the GRPG degenerates? by comparison, they're smarter than noble prize winners

i mean, one of DS2's biggest shortcomings was that (with DLCs included) it was way too big (yes, that's what your moms said over the past week), and this will be even bigger and that's somehow a good thing? after the hype dies down, i'm willing to bet it will be one of the major criticisms
Finest video game ever made , i had that feeling for so many games, games like last ninja 2 on my c64 , populous, dungeon master,on my amiga , xcom , ultima underworld, BG2 , fallout , half life alyx recently and so many more . This time it may be elden ring's turn.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Video games forums can be al kinds of different things, representing all manner of autistic ambitions. Most, however, share a common goal: to represent the excruciating pain of talking to yourself while adressing others.

By this definition, at least, RPGCodex is the finest crpg forum yet made.

Machocruz

Arcane
Game journos rate things as if games just started being made 2-3 years ago. Can't wait to hear how ER revolutionizes open world RPGs since the last 20 times they said open world RPGs got revolutionized.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The sad thing is in 2022 you don't know if that guy will shoot up the latest furry convention or cut his dick off and call it a vagina. It does make every new day interesting though.

fork

Elden Cringe is pretty good though, haha.
Edit: I want that guy to say "China" for me!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What really interests me is all the reviews that end with some version of "revolutionizes the industry." This makes me think these journos have no conception of what the industry is.

What Fromsoft brings to the table with Elden Ring is another example of AAA funding combined with uncompromising japanese slave labor perfectionism. Whatever your opinion of the Japanese work ethic, most people would have to admit that this kind of dedication to their craft produces well-made products.

From the reviews, it seems like what makes Elden Ring a good game is Fromsoft doubling down on quality, not so much innovation. And that's fine, not all games have to be innovative to be good games. But there's nothing "revolutionary" about increasing quality... it's just basic progression that craftsmen should aspire to improve their craft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom