Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Perkel

Arcane
^ER enemies felt extremely repetitive, particularly the bosses. The numbers are likely questionable and don't exactly show you the rest of the picture like ER being more than twice as long as some of the other souls games, how much of the game is spent in combat, how enemy positioning is only occasionaly a factor inside legacy dungeons etc.

It never felt repetitive to me. Sure they did reuse some of enemies and some bosses but usually they gave them some gimminck that made fight different.

Good example of it is that fucking gravity bull. I found it first time doing some mine. It was hard fight at the time but i did manage to beat it. Later on i found crater and that bull spawned. So i though i beat you once i will beat you twice. Turns out that with additional space fight gets a lot different as bull rush he does doesn't leave anymore way to counterattack as it is too far away.

This goes for many other reused bosses/enemies.

Anyways people are just too fucking spoiled these days. ER literally puts out obscene amount of unique content and you complain that sometimes they reused enemy or two.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Admit it, reused assets are extremely disappointing. No matter how many times you play this game, the disappointment will always be there. I'd rather they cut some content and focused on making the existing parts as special as they could.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
^ER enemies felt extremely repetitive, particularly the bosses. The numbers are likely questionable and don't exactly show you the rest of the picture like ER being more than twice as long as some of the other souls games, how much of the game is spent in combat, how enemy positioning is only occasionaly a factor inside legacy dungeons etc.

It never felt repetitive to me.
But you are abnormal, so?

Perkel

Arcane
Admit it, reused assets are extremely disappointing.

No they are not. Did someone complain that From reused capra from first part of the game later on as normal mob same with taurus, or black knight ? Imho at the time i thought it was cool. Because it felt like "this was a boss a while ago and now i am good enough to get it as a mob"

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Did someone complain that From reused capra from first part of the game later on as normal mob same with taurus, or black knight ?
Yes. I understand why some might think it's cool in that context since it could represent your character's growth, but many including myself felt that the reused bosses (as normal enemies) contributed to that whole area feeling hastily put together. Black knights make in-game sense to be scattered throughout the map; the only way you're going to find them in large numbers is in the Kiln. This is different from bosses, who are supposed to be special, being reused like common monsters. Even then it makes more in-game sense for Taurus and Capra demons to be reused as normal enemies than named bosses in ER being reused.

Last edited:
I played about 3 hours on launch day and just do not give a shit I am so fucking old. Is this just the same old same old bullshit but you can just overlevel even easier or fuck you. Either way, fuck you.

arekks

Novice
I couldn't give the first shit about reused assets. I made fun of the horse guy at the start of Elder Rings being Gyoubu, but I didn't really care. That said, Elder Rings is clearly an inferior game to previous From games, and I hope they make a good Armored Core next

You know what! Nevermind. I just finished the Sony Spiderman game and it was actual garbage, I can't put Elden Ring on the same tier.
Hence, I hereby promote Elden Ring to mediocre.

If you have shit enough taste to actually finish Spiderman then maybe you're not the best judge here. I uninstalled Spiderman after "demoing" for less than an hour, so with my superior taste I declare ER to not be garbage or even mediocre. It's overrated but still a good game.

Nathir

Liturgist
Child of Malkav

Would you prefer to fight bosses you can circle around safely? Bosses with 3-5 different attacks that are heavily telegraphed? Have you replayed D(e)S1-3 recently? I did. With the exception of Friede, I don't think I've died to any boss more than 5 times. And I'm not trying to say harder = better. I am trying to say From needs to keep bosses interesting for old players too. Doing everything in 1 try would be lame for a first playthrough. All the videos you linked are of fags crying "ER bosses are cheap and badly designed because it's hard". Just use a shield ffs, they are amazing in ER. Just because you could spam rolls in DS3 and feel like you are good, doesn't mean designing bosses to punish roll spam is bad.

Of course I would love a different or improved version of combat for every game they release. But in the confines of the Souls combat, giving bosses more animations and faster movement is the easiest and cheapest way to keep things fresh. And resource wise their priority was clearly in making a giant world to explore, so the combat was copy-pasted and bosses were tuned up. No problem for me, I love DS combat! And why is input reading supposed to be a serious problem? Input reading and all kinds of AI cheats have been a staple since forever. Not to mention in ER the visual design, the spectacle, the stories behind the bosses,... are all superb. ER is art, in a time where all we get are products.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom