Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Don't try to find anything about those jumping pad, pardon, spiritspring in ER: there's nothing about them, not a single line of text, nothing, they only exist in tutorial windows telling you there is this gamey element in there that helps you traverse the terrain. Because they don't really give a fuck these days.
Tell me why gamey elements that don't ruin the immersion and atmosphere are bad. There's tons of gamey element in their games since Demon's Souls and the fact that some of these elements are explained and incorporated into the world (like dying and respawning, multiplayer, etc.) doesn't mean they have to come with some convoluted answers to every gameplay element.
Sure, those elements don't need clear in-world logic behind them
And yeah the lack of such answers doesn't affect game design
But it shows that From no longer cares for their craft and worldbuilding like they did some years back, which is Lutte's point
Which is a sad loss because that dedication was indeed one of the highligths of Fromsoft
So yes, the lack of such care does end up hurting immersion, as those more gamey elements no longer have sensible reasons to allow suspension of disbelief

Odoryuk

Educated
But it shows that From no longer cares for their craft and worldbuilding like they did some years back, which is Lutte's point
It doesn't show it in the slightest, as there's a lot of small and clever world building things in Elden Ring, as it was in Sekiro and Dark Souls 3 before.
So yes, the lack of such care does end up hurting immersion, as those more gamey elements no longer have sensible reasons to allow suspension of disbelief
Remember when back in the days people hated inventory weight limit, and then FromSoftware removed it? And now players can hoard literal tons of heavyweight demon hammers and other shit and it doesn't affect their movement at all. And don't tell me about Botomless Box, you can access that only at checkpoints. This stuff is gamey as hell and exist since Dark Souls 1.

I'd rather jump very high on my steed at special points to get to elevated territory than "naturally" climb it, like in modern Zelda games.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Don't try to find anything about those jumping pad, pardon, spiritspring in ER: there's nothing about them, not a single line of text, nothing, they only exist in tutorial windows telling you there is this gamey element in there that helps you traverse the terrain. Because they don't really give a fuck these days.
Tell me why gamey elements that don't ruin the immersion and atmosphere are bad. There's tons of gamey element in their games since Demon's Souls and the fact that some of these elements are explained and incorporated into the world (like dying and respawning, multiplayer, etc.) doesn't mean they have to come with some convoluted answers to every gameplay element.
Sure, those elements don't need clear in-world logic behind them
And yeah the lack of such answers doesn't affect game design
Which is a sad loss because that dedication was indeed one of the highligths of Fromsoft
Armored Core 6 just released late last year, assholes. Calm your tits. Not every game they make is gonna be Elden Ring type shit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Except we have multiple examples of storm or wind based effects or abilities in the game. The Banished Knights create vortex of wind to leap on you and there's that whole wind theme going with Stormveil and the hawks etc.

I'm assuming they likely designed Stormhill/Limgrave first and those springs were supposed to be related to the whole wind theme going on with the area but then dropped any lore reference since they needed the springs anywhere else in the game as well.

Fromsoft makes arcade game? you've not played a real arcade game since forever, have you? They have some elements of arcade philosophy in gameplay design (like repeating some of the content being the punishment for failure, not giving you user controlled quicksave/quickload mechanism etc) but they're no arcade games. Arcade games don't let you gear up your way into turning challenges into easy mode. They're still RPGs at the core, despite the action mechanics. Levelling the right stats completely changes your approach to the game, as will your choice of weapons or spells, or the choice of going soul level 1 to omit some the benefits of the RPGness of those games and make them behave more like highly punishing action games.

The fact they have RPG elements doesn't mean a lot of the lifeblood of those game doesn't relate to arcade games. FromSoft doesn't make western RPGs. Their games are fairly grounded and immersive in their own way and that's one of the reasons i prefer them over the more actiony stuff like DMC, Monster Hunter etc, but their games are still rooted in that Japanese action tradition where what feels good mechanically usually trumps any consideration of realism.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's a variation on a theme. That's not the same as literally copy/pasting the same prefabs like Ubisuck games do.
Let's see: prefab giant pulling a cart, prefab walking bell, prefab church ruins, prefab ruins with a chest in the cellar, prefab evergaols, prefab minor Erdtress and their bosses and I'm sure I missed something else.

Some repeated elements are to be expected in an open world game, but it's still not the same as in Ubitarded games.

People keep saying Zelda was an influence in Elden Ring. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those repeated elements take inspiration from that since like i said to me it feel rather arcadish.

And every cave and catacomb has the same recognizable tiles only placed in different order that's why they feel so painfully artificial

No, disagree entirely with this. The caves and catacombs have the same elements as big legacy dungeons, just on a much smaller scale. To say they are all the same with some minor variations in layout is an outright lie. Maybe at first it feels that way but by the time you get to shit like the Auriza Side Tomb you should have a clear idea of what FromSoft is doing with those places.

Hell Swarm

Learned
They feel immersion breaking because it's obvious From either dropped a traversal mechanic or didn't realize how fucking stupid their map design is. So they added Torrent farting into the sky, which isn't even animated beyond the jump. It looks stupid and it shows a lack of foresight or a really bad design decision day one. Plenty of Elden ring uses natural slopes and paths to get up and it all should have.
Some repeated elements are to be expected in an open world game, but it's still not the same as in Ubitarded games.
You've admitted you haven't played a modern ubisoft game but continue to call them bad and different to Elden Ring. While those of us willing to try different games are pointing out it's very Ubisoft in it's reused assets and design philosophy. I wonder who's opinion is more informed and valid.. The guy who refuses to try these games, argues all flaws don't exist except some nebulus ones he will never list.. Or the people playing Open world games, with experience in the genre from the top selling ones and saying 'Yes, these use similar design philosophies. I'm going to say Horizon zero dawn has a better open world than Elden ring does. Which is impressive considering how bad that games open world is. But at least getting the map in that game involves gameplay, not pressing X to show you where everything is (and yes it does. It clearly has markers for the mines and other locations)

Terenty

Liturgist
Did Gothic use repeated elements? Did Might&Magic reuse stuff over and over?

What Elden Ring does is exactly the same as Ubisoft. It repeats landmarks and "activities" to fill out its gargantuan world.

No, disagree entirely with this. The caves and catacombs have the same elements as big legacy dungeons, just on a much smaller scale. To say they are all the same with some minor variations in layout is an outright lie. Maybe at first it feels that way but by the time you get to shit like the Auriza Side Tomb you should have a clear idea of what FromSoft is doing with those places.

They have different layouts, but you can literally see the same few elements(rooms, traps, monsters etc.) repeated over and over and when you have so many of them it all just blurs

Hell Swarm

Learned
Did Gothic use repeated elements? Did Might&Magic reuse stuff over and over?

What Elden Ring does is exactly the same as Ubisoft. It repeats landmarks and "activities" to fill out its gargantuan world.

They have different layouts, but you can literally see the same few elements(rooms, traps, monsters etc.) repeated over and over and when you have so many of them it all just blurs
Don't you know how unique the exact same hero's grave puzzle is 5 times in a row? Those chariots are ORIGINAL DO NOT STEAL

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
There's only one Nox city.
There's three, but 1. they are not large enough areas to get one's panties in a bunch over their "repetition"; 2. Nokron feels very different from Nokstella, because the latter is shrouded in freezing mists; 3. the third Nox city is in ruins and feels different from the previous two; 4 the underground areas are perhaps the most outstanding ones in the whole game, and if one doesn't appreciate this, one is probably an imbecile.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Don't you know how unique the exact same hero's grave puzzle is 5 times in a row? Those chariots are ORIGINAL DO NOT STEAL
What is this exact same hero's grave puzzle that's repeated 5 times in a row? Be specific please. I am especially curious about the two hero's graves which have no chariots whatsoever.

Go.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
What is this exact same hero's grave puzzle that' repeated 5 times in a row? Be specific please. I am especially curious about the two hero's graves which have no chariots whatsoever.

Go.
The Graves have multiple Chariot puzzles you dumb fuck. And even if it was repeated 3 times, it's still copy and paste content.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Except it's not, given the puzzles are all different.

It seems some people can't wrap their heads around the idea of theme and variation.

The latest game i played that resembled Ubismegma gameplay philosophy was Styx: Shards of Darkness. Not an open world game, and not entirely terrible as far as a ghetto Thief clone could have gone, but it was painful just how fourth wall breaking the mechanics were. Every scenario presented the same problem to which there was always the same solution. And keep in mind i played with quest markers and all that other shit off, thus avoiding the full UbiSTD experience.

Elden Ring does none of that. It has repeated scenarios but no "do exactly this to achieve this exact outcome" mechanics and no actual repeated gameplay sections. Just because it "seems" the same superficially doesn't mean it is the same. If that was the case you would breze through the caves and catacombs after the first two or three instead of getting stuck in each and every one of them trying to figure out how to get through them every single time.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The Graves have multiple Chariot puzzles you dumb fuck
Really? Let me ask again, because you couldn't answer my question. What is this one mysterious puzzle that is repeated 5 times in hero's graves?

And even if it was repeated 3 times, it's still copy and paste content.
But it's not, the chariots act differently in all 3 dungeons. First one is straightforward (and destructible), second appears in places where the light shines and you have to figure out how to raise/lower the imp columns to make the lights go away, and the third one has a chariot you need to ride to the end of the dungeon. Copy-paste would mean the exact same chariot doing the exact same thing, but they change it up every time.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Every scenario presented the same problem to which there was always the same solution.
You mean like Elden Ring where every boss is hitting O and R1 over and over?

Now i know i'm talking to a retard.
I don't recall a single puzzle boss in Elden Ring. Maybe the academy but that turns into another roll and hit scenario half way through. So basically every solution in Elden ring is to hit O at the right time and R1 when a window presents it's self. The same lack luster formula From hasn't grown from in 15 years.

This is where you deny all the problems. Everyone thinks you're a retard (because you are) and you continue to tongue a rice niggers asshole because your ego is tied to a lack luster video game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Every scenario presented the same problem to which there was always the same solution.

Took you long enough!
Nobody said anything about puzzle bosses. We were talking about the caves and catacombs last i checked.

So basically every solution in Elden ring is to hit O at the right time and R1 when a window presents it's self.

This is like when people listen to classical music and then say it's so boring because "nothing" happens.
Gen Alpha brain at its finest... I wouldn't be so hard on the poor lad. Stuff like ritalin and adderal are horribly over-prescribed these days after all. That stuff will permanently alter your brain chemistry.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Nobody said anything about puzzle bosses. We were talking about the caves and catacombs last i checked.

So basically every solution in Elden ring is to hit O at the right time and R1 when a window presents it's self.

This is like when people listen to classical music and then say it's so boring because "nothing" happens.
So would you like to discuss how every cave is exactly the same? There's no difference in any of them. Same enemies, almost the same lay out. It's all the same complaint you have of Styx. Except Styx is 2 games not 7. And I bet Styx didn't put TUTORIAL ENEMIES in your hidden ultra hard area did it?

Took you long enough!

Gen Alpha brain at its finest... I wouldn't be so hard on the poor lad. Stuff like ritalin and adderal are horribly over-prescribed these days after all. That stuff will permanently alter your brain chemistry.
Oh look it's reddit again. Now you call me a boomer.

This is one of the worst threads on codex because 2 trannies can't accept what everyone else can plainly see. I'd love to know what pathetic state their lives are in when they have to lie about Elden ring this hard. Peak consumer mentality.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Notice how retard swarm never explained which puzzle was copy-pasted five times in hero's graves, all of which have completely different puzzles and two don't even have any chariots. :lol:

Hell Swarm

Learned
Actually I did but you're too retarded to understand. You're living up to the village idiot tag nicely.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Actually I did but you're too retarded to understand.
What you did was 1. lie about there being 5 chariots, when there's only 3. 2. fail to point out any specific puzzle that was supposedly copy-pasted 5 times (you will never be able to point it out because it does not exist). 3. got told that even the 3 chariot dungeons are different from each other and you deal with the chariots in different ways, and had no response to that either.

You just got owned, little retarded boy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom