Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Um it's not letting me enter the DLC. I have my guy right there in Mohg's palace. I'm going to fucking kill somebody

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Um it's not letting me enter the DLC. I have my guy right there in Mohg's palace. I'm going to fucking kill somebody
Maybe you only downloaded the patch and not DLC? Reset. Someone I know had that problem. There should be somebody there to talk to.
Where do they appear at? It's installed and I restarted and I'm right there in front of the cacoon and nothing.

Crayll

Liturgist
Holy fucking shit, did none of you guys save your endgame character?

Exploring my first legacy dungeon. It's glorious. Level design, encounter design, difficulty, new equipment, new enemies, art direction - all an absolute joy to be experiencing.
I started a new character, but I did it a week ago so I'd be ready for the DLC. It's been a while since I'd last played so I wanted to time to refamiliarize myself with everything.

The mini dungeons are also leagues better than the base game, done two so far and they were both great. The bosses at the end are also now my two favorite minibosses, much more memorable than fighting cat statues repeatedly.

Did you kill Radahn? He's a requirement too.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Played a bit of it (expansion) and wasn't impressed.

-Starting area is an open field with ghost graves. like, literal ghostly gravestones. eh.
-Enemies are copy pasta from the main game but 'shadowy.' They all die in one hit.
-Find a boss and it's just a dude. He drops his kit when he dies except the cool crossbow. He had an okay sword but it's strength based.
-Tried fighting the Wicker Burning Man and got stomped. AoE fire can't be escaped even on horseback. Weak.
-My faith/holy build is being redeemed, it appears shadow enemies are weak to it.
-The much hinted at 'expansion specific progression' is... 5% damage and armor for finding a TACO. Meh.

Crayll

Liturgist
Played a bit of it (expansion) and wasn't impressed.

-Starting area is an open field with ghost graves. like, literal ghostly gravestones. eh.
-Enemies are copy pasta from the main game but 'shadowy.' They all die in one hit.
-Find a boss and it's just a dude. He drops his kit when he dies except the cool crossbow. He had an okay sword but it's strength based.
-Tried fighting the Wicker Burning Man and got stomped. AoE fire can't be escaped even on horseback. Weak.
-My faith/holy build is being redeemed, it appears shadow enemies are weak to it.
-The much hinted at 'expansion specific progression' is... 5% damage and armor for finding a TACO. Meh.
I don't think you can make much of a judgement if you didn't even leave the starting area :hmmm:

There's a bunch of unique enemies and bosses once you leave the first area (which should take you about 10-20 minutes).
The wicker man is super easy, you can jump over the fire on Torrent when he stomps.
The expansion specific progression items are there to let you progress your character without having to over-level past your preferred point.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
DD2 was so special early on, but you start chewing the half-baked cake of it all after a bit. Two great tastes that would taste better together if they met in the middle

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Last night, Elden Ring worked as usual, frame capped and smooth. Post patch, it's unplayable stuttery dog shit. It's like watching a claymation doll have a stroke. Tried a bunch of stuff to sort it out, but it's either something in the patch or beefed up EAC bullshit. This is actually worse performance than the base game had at launch and I haven't even entered into the new zones which are supposedly even worse.

Good times.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Post patch, it's unplayable stuttery dog shit
I’ve seen complaints of this. Must just be different hardware configs not optimized. I played some at high settings/2k with a 3060/i5-11k and it was a smooth 60fps

Yeah, I suspect it'll play smoothly if I install it on my old machine (now wife's machine) that had lower end hardware. Basically all this sort of complaint before on high end hardware was something I never experienced on my old 2070S machine. This one is a 4080/i7-13k, 64GB.

Anyway, I'll wait for the patch and in the meantime enjoy myself laughing about how bitter and poor fork is.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
They skill check you right out of the gate. First boss already killed me about 10 times. I had him down to 1 hit left twice in a row and now I'm struggling to get him down to half. Classic Souls, loving it so far.
:love:

Edit

He dead.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Started the DLC at lv 130. Rellana is destroying me so much that I will move back to main game to get more levels... This DLC is quite hard and I like it.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Kinda funny, the game works perfectly on the Steam Deck. So my main gaming rig plays the current patch like a toaster, but the handheld is flawless. :lol: What a world.
I played it on Steam Deck earlier and it was fine, just now about to try it on my PC, waiting for it to finish updating.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Kinda funny, the game works perfectly on the Steam Deck. So my main gaming rig plays the current patch like a toaster, but the handheld is flawless. :lol: What a world.
I played it on Steam Deck earlier and it was fine, just now about to try it on my PC, waiting for it to finish updating.

Fingers crossed. I'd like to know what it is about the newer GPUs that they can optimize a game for lower end hardware but it ends up running like shit on more powerful systems. It seems to be a somewhat common theme these days up until a patch cycle or two (or more) pass.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Linux is much more optimized than M$ spyware/bloatware. Here I'm playing the game in 40~45 FPS in a GTX 1050 ti on HIGH.

i-cant-believe-how-much-linux-gaming-improved-elden-ring-on-v0-k0xovgo0tf7d1.png

Here is a good benchmark

mediocrepoet

Patron

Linux is much more optimized than M$ spyware/bloatware. Here I'm playing the game in 40~45 FPS in a GTX 1050 ti on HIGH.

i-cant-believe-how-much-linux-gaming-improved-elden-ring-on-v0-k0xovgo0tf7d1.png

Uh... what the hell? It looks like you're playing PS2 guy in MS paint where all you learned were icon cut and pastes and fill space -> brown. :lol:

Anyway it has nothing to do with OS dippy. You'd notice that if you read the earlier remarks about different card gens having different results in the same OS.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I'm not fuckin wit the fire giant guy. I barely do any damage to him and Torrent is being a douche. I'll come back to him later. Way too early to judge anything but so far this is probably the best opening of a FS game since Bloodborne. It goes all out on the visuals, the atmosphere, and the difficulty. It feels fuckin great. 10/10 as far as Soulsborne openings go.

I finished Elden Ring when it came out but after experiencing DD2 combat I can't bring myself to play a FromSoft game again
Chill bro. DD2 will have it's time to shine again.

ferratilis

Magister
I finished Elden Ring when it came out but after experiencing DD2 combat I can't bring myself to play a FromSoft game again

Bitch pls, this attitude is probably the reason DD2 got so much misguided hate.
If DD2 were somehow more popular than Elden Ring, it would be "after experiencing Elden Ring combat I can't bring myself to play a Capcom game again." Typical Codex contrarian attitude. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom