Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ELEX II gets a combat trailer, now available for preorder

Codex Year of the Donut
DID YOU KNOW:
The reason poles love Gothic so much is actually the result of a secret german brainwashing operation?
The german government paid to have gaming magazines distributed to poland when poles couldn't afford video games, and included copies of Gothic(and Might and Magic, but that's for a later discussion) with them.
The poles spent their entire youth playing nothing but those two games creating an entire country dependent upon PB and ensuring the german economy stays propped up no matter what.

JDR13

Arcane
Oh no...the combat is janky!

Show us on the doll where PB touched you.

That's a really bad use of the "touched you" piss take.

Suggesting that posters have been hurt by PB because they're calling out janky combat which is quite obviously uber-janky, and which features in a trailer which should be designed to sell the combat, is as fair a call as you get.

"There are no words for how janky this trailer looks"

"How appropriate, you fight like a cow"

The textbook definition of butthurt. I make a joke and you write all that to cope.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Where's the goth music and depressive feeling like you're forced to shop at the Gaap and listen wannabe vamps?

Hellraiser

Arcane
The german government paid to have gaming magazines distributed to poland when poles couldn't afford video games, and included copies of Gothic(and Might and Magic, but that's for a later discussion) with them.

Which magazine included the first Gothic in Poland and in what issue?

By the time the second one was a "freebie" in a magazine it was already pirated to hell and back (5 years after release, in 2007 in CD-Action). More people were playing (and pirating) both of those games after release than they did with Morrowind. There was also considerable hype for the second Gothic here before release.

If anything Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 are games popular in Poland mostly because they were a freebie back in the day.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Which magazine included the first Gothic in Poland and in what issue?

By the time the second one was a "freebie" in a magazine it was already pirated to hell and back (5 years after release, in 2007 in CD-Action). More people were playing (and pirating) both of those games after release than they did with Morrowind. There was also considerable hype for the second Gothic here before release.

If anything Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 are games popular in Poland mostly because they were a freebie back in the day.
gothic1 was dropped from zeppelins on CDs that looked like a pirated version in most major cities in Poland A. Poland B was borrowing them and never returning

Werdnicus

Learned
I stole my copy of Gothic from the local library and Gothic 2 from Tesco. It's been my favorite series since.

Crime pays.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Archolos literally matters to no one except 50~ Gothic 2 enthusiasts on the internet and the Pols. It would be different if it had an english version, but to pretend it will have any impact on Elex 2 sales is weapons grade copium.
Hard copium germoid

ELEX players = 368 with peak at 700
https://steamcharts.com/app/411300

GOTHIC ARCHOLOS PLAYERS = 2200 with peak at 5000
https://steamcharts.com/app/1467450

ALSO
768px-german_territorx7jfa.png

Cunt Dickula!?

Are you a little retarded, dude?
The peak for ELEX was 23.000 at release.
You are comparing a mod that just came out to a game that came out 4 years ago.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Are you a little retarded, dude?
The peak for ELEX was 23.000 at release.
You are comparing a mod that just came out to a game that came out 4 years ago.
You faggot are comparing a mod for 20 year old game to a new game from 4 years ago who is retarted here bitch?

Keep coping elextard.

5bfsoka6.png

Last edited:

Joyvankek

Learned
Eh, in Elex 1 the factions actually had almost no impact on the story. It was very linear and on-rails. Only C&C was really the ending, and that was just binary based on your cold level. If you popped 1,000 raw elex as the most aggro emotional lad in the galaxy 1 second before the ending you suddenly were a slave to the hybrid and fully autistic, and vice versa.

Personally I'm hoping the faction/story relationship returns to more of a Gothic 2 model here because I really didn't like how the ending in Elex made everything before it feel useless, but cynically we should expect more of the same of Elex 1 approach.

One can hope. It would be a blast if we would have anything similar to the classic that is Gothic 1/2. It goes beyond saying that I want choices that do have impact on both the game world and ending. What worries me is that we are suppose to unite all factions this time, so we can end up with factions being as meaningful as the ones in TES. Which would kill any interest I have in this game.
Again, we need to hope that they won't fuck it up and do not buy it until we know what we're getting.

Archolos release changed everything. I don't know if people looking for a Gothic fix will be so forgiving with ELEX 2 now...
Dunno. Seems to me like the most people who despise glorious ELEX stopped playing PB games after Risen 1.
I enjoyed Risen, and absolutely despised Risen 2. While not even bothering with Risen 3, since they removed RPG tags from it and from reviews that I saw, people were claiming that they went full on adventure action, so yeah. Before Elex I didn't played their games for some time.
Don't know what your point is supposed to be though, it was a shame that Elex went away from the original formula we had in Gothic and Risen 1, but I still managed to enjoy the game itself.
That said the bar isn't exactly high right now if you are looking for a first/third person open-world RPG, since what is their competition? Fucking TES games which are open-world sandboxes at this point.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Oh no...the combat is janky!

Show us on the doll where PB touched you.

That's a really bad use of the "touched you" piss take.

Suggesting that posters have been hurt by PB because they're calling out janky combat which is quite obviously uber-janky, and which features in a trailer which should be designed to sell the combat, is as fair a call as you get.

"There are no words for how janky this trailer looks"

"How appropriate, you fight like a cow"

The textbook definition of butthurt. I make a joke and you write all that to cope.

Just trying to drag your candy ass up from RPG Watch tp Codex standards. If your gonna post here more regularly than your preferred forum, at least make an effort dude.

Insults need to be used in context. Something which you are utterly awful at.

Just play some Monkey Island for a bit. That'll at least give you a grounding.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's honestly a bad trailer in the sense that I have learned very little about the combat. Otherwise, it's okay I guess, the visuals and the emotional impact is fine, I don't see much wrong with it. It even made me a little bit excited.

Otherwise, I can't wrap my head around this whole "eurojank" thing. Is this an "edgy" thing some Americans like to say about games made in Europe to feel superior or something? I don't think ELEX was buggy or unstable, on the contrary, I found it quite performant and never have experienced a single crash. Maybe a few quest sequencing bugs here and there, but those were very rare and only resulted in some weird dialogs, really. I found the production values quite high as well, the world looked amazing and the visuals were just beautiful.

So yeah, I just don't get it... I don't play AAA games much, so I have no idea how they look like and play these days. The closest I guess was the Rise of the Tomb Raider that I played a few years back, I guess that's "non-janky" to you? Personally, I found ELEX better in every regard. Okay, maybe the animations were a little bit smoother in Tomb Raider, but who cares really if the game is otherwise generally boring (it was).

So, honest request, give me some non-janky examples, now I'm really curious what your frame of reference is.

Cunt Dickula!?

That said the bar isn't exactly high right now if you are looking for a first/third person open-world RPG, since what is their competition?
You should really try Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos if you can't answer that question.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom