Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

notpl

Arbiter
Hello, I am not well versed in the arcanes of Piranha Bytes games. I did play and enjoy Risen back then. I demand an honest answer to the following question : are ELEX games actually worth it ? Can I expect to have a good time ? I'm not very difficult in terms of games, I just want them to be fun and/or good.
Piranha Bytes hasn't made anything close to a good game since Risen 1, and I say this as someone who has a four digit playtime in gothic 2.

Codex Year of the Donut
risen 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> elex 2
Risen 2 had a distinct style that I enjoyed (much more than what they did in Risen 3) but with 5 factions and lots of exploration Elex 2 is a much better game. Sure it's declime compared to 1 though.
the "exploration" can be summed up as finding yet another bowl of cooked food in the post-apoc wilderness

GloomFrost

Arcane
risen 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> elex 2
Risen 2 had a distinct style that I enjoyed (much more than what they did in Risen 3) but with 5 factions and lots of exploration Elex 2 is a much better game. Sure it's declime compared to 1 though.
the "exploration" can be summed up as finding yet another bowl of cooked food in the post-apoc wilderness
Exactly. Elex 2 is huge but its more of a Ubisoft kind of huge. A lot of quantity but not quality. Risen 2 as a game is MUCH more enjoyable then Elex 2.

Lodis

Educated
I'm trying to understand how the female character models in Elex 2 are somehow worse than the first game even though the first game used the same exact model for every female.

Modron

Arcane
Some of the unnamed random cultivator ladies in the zerker camp look better than all the love interests.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I'm trying to understand how the female character models in Elex 2 are somehow worse than the first game even though the first game used the same exact model for every female.
before&after marriage, completely normal phenomenon

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Some of the unnamed random cultivator ladies in the zerker camp look better than all the love interests.
All the characters from the previous game are like a decade older so that's sensible.

This is why:

ELEX 2 uses FaceWare middleware for lip syncing and facial animations.

Apparently they had to redo all of the face models, but something went terribly wrong during the process. Particularly the eyes are peak uncanny valley.

soulburner

Cipher
Putting the models themselves aside, the lip sync engine they used is fantastic. The effect is even better than in Cyberpunk 2077 which used similar tech.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Dodo1610

Arcane
You guys should appreciate Gothic 4 Arcania more because it was so bad and sold so poorly that it bankrupted both the developer and the publisher. Which spared us from Gothic: Battle Royales, Card games or MMOs for the last decade. We need more complete fuck-ups like Arcania so that the "suits" lose interest in ruining our favourite franchises.

I finally tested this with my new PC and it's literally the worst-performing game I possess. With a Ryzen 5700X and an RTX 3060, I get FPS drops down to 45FPS have never even seen Cyberpunk on the highest setting with full Rayttracing drop so low. Either PB has become utterly incompetent or they just don't care anymore. Given the shitty kill 30 robots companion quest I genuinely fear that PB has lost all passion for game dev and merely continues it to get paid.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finally tested this with my new PC and it's literally the worst-performing game I possess. With a Ryzen 5700X and an RTX 3060, I get FPS drops down to 45FPS have never even seen Cyberpunk on the highest setting with full Rayttracing drop so low. Either PB has become utterly incompetent or they just don't care anymore. Given the shitty kill 30 robots companion quest I genuinely fear that PB has lost all passion for game dev and merely continues it to get paid.
Similar here. My PC can run absolutely anything on highest details, but this game... I mean, it's still 50+ fps across the board, but man does it make the rig work for it.

And it really doesn't look that good. Honestly, I found Elex 1 looked better, just more atmosphere all around.

In Elex II, everything looks like it was just "put there".
For example, the Berserker town in Elex really did look unique. In Elex II the Berserker town looks like someone just placed a bunch of random buildings and a few plants.
It's really weird - as if the level designer was replaced by an intern or something.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Similar here. My PC can run absolutely anything on highest details, but this game... I mean, it's still 50+ fps across the board, but man does it make the rig work for it.

And it really doesn't look that good. Honestly, I found Elex 1 looked better, just more atmosphere all around.

In Elex II, everything looks like it was just "put there".
For example, the Berserker town in Elex really did look unique. In Elex II the Berserker town looks like someone just placed a bunch of random buildings and a few plants.
It's really weird - as if the level designer was replaced by an intern or something.
ELEX was a game of passion. ELEX II is sequel for money.

I'm actually wondering if they didn't get scolded for that racist story.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I can't find an announcement or patch notes, but I'm currently downloading a 24gb patch, so it's probably safe to assume the DX12 patch is finally out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom