Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
It's the same beta released a few months ago. Same bugs, no AA. Game is now double-size on SSD, because they kept a full dx11 game alongside the dx12 version. You can delete the dx11 folder, though.
It took them months to figure out how to release it on all 3 platforms, I guess.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
From THQ-PR:
"Hey.

The version that went live is not the 100% accurate version, a mishap happened and we are working on fixing it.

The version that was supposed to go live have quite a few DX12 fixes, more information to come soon!"

Ahaha, what idiots. Seriously.

Last edited:

soulburner

Cipher
From Steam community:

(...)we are atm looking into how to deploy it and find out how this happened in the first place.

//Zyddie.

Well, I guess this is going to take the same amount of time Zyddie said the last time they looked into how to deploy a patch.

cruel

Cipher
I see the first features of the new patch already. Initial loading of a game went from 2s to 3min. Oh, and it broke the textures used during hacking. Good job.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well...

Elex II is officially the first PB game that I didn't finish.
It's just all-around boring and a downgrade of Elex I in every regard.

I did feel similar about Risen 2, but at least that had a setting going for it that I liked and a story that didn't leave me completely cold so I finished it.
Setting and story are the weakest parts of Elex, however, so...

I wonder if this has anything to do with having played Chronicles Of Myrtana a few months prior and that has just raised the bar to a level not reachable anymore by PB.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I see the first features of the new patch already. Initial loading of a game went from 2s to 3min. Oh, and it broke the textures used during hacking. Good job.
Initial loading time increase is to compiling shaders. It's the same beta they uploaded a few months ago, happened by accident they say.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From THQ-PR:
"Hey.

The version that went live is not the 100% accurate version, a mishap happened and we are working on fixing it.

The version that was supposed to go live have quite a few DX12 fixes, more information to come soon!"

Ahaha, what idiots. Seriously.

More evidence:

I have a different theory about Piranha Bytes - that they're not really a "professional" studio anymore and are functioning more like an indie outfit. A bunch of folks working on games in their own time in between doing other things.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well...

Elex II is officially the first PB game that I didn't finish.
It's just all-around boring and a downgrade of Elex I in every regard.

I did feel similar about Risen 2, but at least that had a setting going for it that I liked and a story that didn't leave me completely cold so I finished it.
Setting and story are the weakest parts of Elex, however, so...

I wonder if this has anything to do with having played Chronicles Of Myrtana a few months prior and that has just raised the bar to a level not reachable anymore by PB.

Feeling the same. I have been playing it this week and hugely dissapointed. I don't feel like playing a PB game for real and that's a first I think.
I had more fun playing Gothic 3....

Edit: Also fucking huge patch out of nowhere and without any real info, classy.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Because Elex 2 is more Gothic 2 than Risen 2

tenor.gif

This aged like milk...

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
My best guess is that they did absolutely nothing after dropping the DX12 beta several months ago, then released said beta as default game (while keeping a dx11 dir, thus doubling the install size). Backlash ensued, so they stitched some quick fixes together (hacking minigame, partial AA - works only on near textures and you basically see no difference in the different modes) and called that a day. For example this is still in:
ELEX2-2022-11-09-22-26-38.png

In case you are wondering, this is midnight.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Yeah there is something horrible about night, lightning wise.
TBH can't say anything positive about game right now, ELEX had lots of junk and shortcomings but ELEX 2 is really something else. Only exploration is giving me Pyranha Games vibes sadly.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Goddamit I have to make some time to finally play this.

After all this negative feedback I simply can't believe this game can be so much worse than the first.

I'm reading all the complaints about facials, VO, jank, combat, balance, difficulty curve and and technical issues I go.....BUT ALL THAT WAS E1 IN A NUTSHELL! And people loved E1!

Yeah, I'll give it a spin as soon as Christmas rolls around.

Dodo1610

Arcane
PB clearly listened to their fan's suggestions and then just did the complete opposite. Now, how did this happen?

May 22, 2019

Piranha Bytes acquired by THQ Nordic​

Piranha Bytes will become a 100% subsidiary of THQ Nordic GmbH in Vienna, Austria

All Piranha Bytes Masterpieces – Gothic®, Risen® and ELEX® - are now part of the THQ Nordic Group Portfolio.

When a corporation buys your studio you no longer have to care about your fans because even if your game utterly fails you will just get another project to work on.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm reading all the complaints about facials, VO, jank, combat, balance, difficulty curve and and technical issues I go.....BUT ALL THAT WAS E1 IN A NUTSHELL! And people loved E1!

The problem is that, as Cyberarmy put it, these issues are multiplied by 5-6, especially the combat which personally I thought was okay in E1, and now is absolute garbage.

However, the greatest issue that puts this game in the trash tier is the exploration. It looks fine for the first 10 or so hours, but then you start noticing that the loot placement is total shit, going anywhere results in finding the same supply crate (but with a different texture) holding a cabbage, a teddy bear and three cigs, some places from E1 that should be fucking interesting hold absolutely nothing (and this is not an exaggeration - there are two derelict converters that you can revisit, but they can't even be entered), while all the time you have to struggle with the simply unbearable combat and shitty performance that only makes it worse.

Elex 2 is shit and there's no other way to put it. Whatever positives it might have (I thought the quest design was p. good for instance) is just irrelevant when sunk into the mound of crap that is everything else.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I felt it was a bit obvious that Elex, despite all it's flaws, had a lot of passion behind it. Elex 2 for the most part just seems like a low effort cut + paste job.

Codex Year of the Donut
However, the greatest issue that puts this game in the trash tier is the exploration. It looks fine for the first 10 or so hours, but then you start noticing that the loot placement is total shit, going anywhere results in finding the same supply crate (but with a different texture) holding a cabbage, a teddy bear and three cigs, some places from E1 that should be fucking interesting hold absolutely nothing (and this is not an exaggeration - there are two derelict converters that you can revisit, but they can't even be entered), while all the time you have to struggle with the simply unbearable combat and shitty performance that only makes it worse.
Not quite sure what to call it, but the platform in the southwest, you can climb all the way up it but there's.... nothing. They just imported it from Elex and left it completely empty. When you get to the top you get the standard toxic damage/out of bounds shit. Entire platform just has nothing.
I quit shortly after that because the game felt unfinished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom