Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Current pb is using eu funds under the pretense of releasing games.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Not that I want to keep shitting on this, but what the fuck is this shit?

One of the first dialogues in the game. The character face models. The duplicate line. The misaligned prompt. How does this pass QA.
Seriously, PB, come on.

Also, in this location, when looking at those trees, I get 99% utilization on 2080Ti and framerate drops to 50 in 1440p. Holy shit what ungodly things did they do to their engine. If it at least looked better than the first game, but it so doesn't.

And to top it off, 2 minutes after this dialogue the game crashed to windows. On a PC that can run Cyberpunk in 4K for eight hour straight rock stable.

900040_20220911201847sqfni.png

Ryzer

Arcane
Jesus what happens with the background (and the textures)? ELEX 1 looks far better.

JDR13

Arcane
The first few hours are one of the worst parts. Once you get past that, the early and middle parts are pretty good. The endgame is a boring slog.

Ryzer

Arcane
I wanted to like this game, I was trashing it at first for fun because the trailers looked awful but I wanted it to be good. I liked Elex 1. I'm so pissed, I have that Risen feeling of being frustrated.
Yet again another massive blunder by PB, and it's highly possible ELEX 3 will be mediocre.
Sigh

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Over the years, the more I've learnt bits and bobs about game development in an interestedly amateur way, the one thing that talented developers who make buggy, unfinished games with great potential seem to lack is a huge and properly professional Q&A team.

I think it's so needed to get the gameplay right, because great gameplay is such that just tiny adjustments of a range of numbers can make a huge difference to the feel of a game, and to get that kind of fine tuning right, the game has to go back and forth to a good Q&A team.

That's my impression anyway, over the years. I think lack of Q&A and lack of good people/time management, they're the two killers. Most people who actually do the work in the industry are talented enough to make great stuff, it's just the organization and mucho testing they need.
One of the main reasons why I'm approaching any kind of mods with extreme caution. Most of them are single person efforts, so the quality is all over the place, and most likely there will be all sort of conflicts with other mods.

Total overhauls done by competent teams over many many years are exceptions though, e.g. Nehrim and Enderal.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
I'm surprised to say this, but I'm actually enjoying this game so far. Playing slowly, 54h in, level 23 - playing the only respectable way: didn't join anyone, didn't touch the main plot, running around with crappy armor and getting one shotted by anything dangerous. And having fun.

Is the game stiff and janky? Yes.
Does the combat suck? Yes.
Is the game worse than Elex 1? Probably yes.

And still, even with all those negatives, I'm having fun. It's amazing how far proper exploration combined with dangerous world can take a game. What also helps is that nobody treats you as a hero here. I heard 'fuck off' more times here than any of the other games I played in last few years.

I will soon finish exploring the map and will need to touch the main plot, so anticipating a massive decline very soon. Will try to delay it as much as possible.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Antigoon

Augur
I'm surprised to say this, but I'm actually enjoying this game so far. Playing slowly, 54h in, level 23 - playing the only respectable way: didn't join anyone, didn't touch the main plot, running around with crappy armor and getting one shotted by anything dangerous. And having fun.

Is the game stiff and janky? Yes.
Does the combat suck? Yes.
Is the game worse than Elex 1? Probably yes.

And still, even with all those negatives, I'm having fun. It's amazing how far proper exploration combined with dangerous world can take a game. What also helps is that nobody treats you as a hero here. I heard 'fuck off' more times here than any of the other games I played in last few years.

I will soon finish exploring the map and will need to touch the main plot, so anticipating a massive decline very soon. Will try to delay it as much as possible.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
Same for me. It isn't that much worse than Elex 1, at least if you play range. Exploration still is better than in most open world games. End game sucks though.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Hello, I am not well versed in the arcanes of Piranha Bytes games. I did play and enjoy Risen back then. I demand an honest answer to the following question : are ELEX games actually worth it ? Can I expect to have a good time ? I'm not very difficult in terms of games, I just want them to be fun and/or good.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hello, I am not well versed in the arcanes of Piranha Bytes games. I did play and enjoy Risen back then. I demand an honest answer to the following question : are ELEX games actually worth it ? Can I expect to have a good time ? I'm not very difficult in terms of games, I just want them to be fun and/or good.

ELEX 1 is great.

ELEX 2 is shit.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I take it Elex II is to Elex what Risen II was to Risen then.
I'll dive into Elex tomorrow, thanks for the intel :salute:
Well it is not like that at all. There are downgrade in elex 2 regarding combat, main plot and end-game content mostly, but it’s nowhere near risen 2 level. The world is still elexcellent, there are some really cool quests and factions, it just fail to tie everything up in the end.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
%50 on Steam right now, so I grabbed it. Seems like game haven't received any updates since april?
DX12 update coming soon. I would wait for that to play it. I've been waiting for that since release basically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom