Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I feel bad that I won this game for free because I haven't touched it due to this thread. I'm waiting for the dx12 update

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
In the short time I spent with this game, I made it a point to never interact with Dex. Sure, i would show up in his vicinity and talk to the NPCs around him, but never with the little s hit himself. Peak absent dad RP experience. I hate kids both in real life and in vidya.
Based Black Codexer?

I don't think I'm spoiling much if I tell you that if you ever want to finish the game, a fair bit of interaction with Dex is in your future.

In the short time I spent with this game, I made it a point to never interact with Dex. Sure, i would show up in his vicinity and talk to the NPCs around him, but never with the little s hit himself. Peak absent dad RP experience. I hate kids both in real life and in vidya.
Based Black Codexer?

I don't think I'm spoiling much if I tell you that if you ever want to finish the game, a fair bit of interaction with Dex is in your future.
I don't think I'll be spending any more time with this game, or Dex for that matter.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I just finished the game and I must say, that ending was anticlimactic. I get that PB is setting us up for Elex 3, but it felt like they forgot to wrap up the story.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
I think it's safe to say now that neu PB is cooked, and ELEX 1 was something of a fluke.

BanEvader

Only the first entry in every PB franchise is good. The sequel always sucks (Gothic 2 obviously being an exception) which is then followed up by an even worse third entry.
My theory is that the G*rms run out of creative autism on the first game and end up creating shovelware out of laziness on the follow ups.
We'll just have to wait for Gothic 4.1 before we get another good PB game.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Wow this game must really suck if it dissappears from everybody's mind 5 months after release.
Also where is the codex review Roxor?

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Elex 2 combat is similar to Risen 2 combat, by being braindead single button-mashing. It seems the only thing setting it apart is jetpack.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
I'm still puzzled to this day as to why they took a departure from Risen 1, everything worked fine until they ran out of time and rushed the end of the game. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Now they are trapped into an endless loop of forgetting what works and what doesn't.

Edit : sorry for the double posting.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I think they simply ran out of time and didn't put the game through a proper Q&A. Mpost likely Devs have very powerful machines, where poor optimization does not necessarily get caught. They also might just forget about them having a GTX3080 or w/e, and so the 60 fps in a heavy scene looks acceptable.
Well, it surely backfired and now their reputation has taken a big hit, even in Germany.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Over the years, the more I've learnt bits and bobs about game development in an interestedly amateur way, the one thing that talented developers who make buggy, unfinished games with great potential seem to lack is a huge and properly professional Q&A team.

I think it's so needed to get the gameplay right, because great gameplay is such that just tiny adjustments of a range of numbers can make a huge difference to the feel of a game, and to get that kind of fine tuning right, the game has to go back and forth to a good Q&A team.

That's my impression anyway, over the years. I think lack of Q&A and lack of good people/time management, they're the two killers. Most people who actually do the work in the industry are talented enough to make great stuff, it's just the organization and mucho testing they need.

soulburner

Cipher
Say what you want, but I find Risen 2 much more enjoyable than Elex 2.
Risen 2 certainly has more character of its own,but I would say Elex 2 is much better game overall and offers much more variety of gameplay (jetpack, different types of combat, multiple factions).
Risen 2 has the advantage of good performance. I dropped Elex 2 mostly because I was sick of 30-ish fps in settlements. It has quite a few other issues, but I already wrote about them in earlier posts. Seeing how the game was abandoned by Piranha, I'm afraid I won't touch it until I upgrade to a Zen 4 + RTX 4070.

The combat killed ELEX 2 for me. ELEX had shit combat, but it was kinda straightforward shit from the start, it set low bars and met them.

ELEX 2 starts off by showing you these modern moves from modern action RPGs, a timed block, etc. But once you play it, you realize it's utter shit, like enemy attacks are completely random and unpredictable, so none of that shit works, and you gotta go back to using a boring hold up block, except now shields dont even block from the start until you level up, so it just feels like a complete backward step clusterfuck.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Wow the start of this game is dreadful. Terrible CGI cutscenes completely disconnected from what's going on in the actual game, terrible dialogue, Jax has lame voice acting, terrible looking characters (both Jax and his son - another wtf - just look terrible). To top it off, it's more demanding than Cyberpunk, which looks two generations ahead.

What the fuck happened, PB.

I will persevere of course, since it is still a 3D open world RPG and it's not like there are any others on the market that I haven't played yet.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The start is dreadful, but at least it doesn't get better down the line.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom