Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/125825-elex-ii-hands-on-previews.html

WCCFTech:

Outside of the new jetpack mechanics which improve world traversal quite a bit, ELEX II doesn't feel a whole lot different than its predecessor, although things do look and feel smoother. Combat is still on the simple side of things, a basic action combat system with Stamina mechanics, but even then, the weapon variety seems to be on point, as the game features both short-range and long-range weapons, and the weapon of choice influences how players should approach the many enemies on their path, ranging from beasts to members of other factions and more. A robust skill tree system will also allow players to build their character around their weapon of choice, so the final game will definitely not disappoint when it comes to customization options.

Rock Paper Shotgun:

But the thing is... although I spent a lot of time raging at this game and reloading (the ratio of hours actually spent in the preview vs. hours logged according to my save file is currently about 3:1, I reckon), the first time I managed to successfully beat a group of marauders to death with my lead pipe was magnificent. I could have wept. It was such a hard-won victory. And when I finally did switch up to a sword, it was transformational! I killed a raptor dinosaur, a monster that I had previously run from in terror! I can imagine people being into Elex II. It looks like it's going to be a better version of Elex, which means you're getting overwrought sci-fi fantasy, some cool side missions, and absolutely no concessions.

COGConnected:

Like its older sibling, Elex 2 struggles a bit when it comes to faces and lip-syncing. They’re an improvement over the first game but not as much as you’d hope. A few of the faces — Jax’s young son, Dex, for example — are nightmare inducing. Elex 2 also has some trouble with smooth movement, whether it be character animations, melee combat or leaves tossed by the wind. While the release is several months out, janky movement was part of the first game as well. In a way, it was part of what made Elex charming and helped garner a cult following. But this is almost 2022 and there are a lot of games that do animations, lip-syncing, and movement much better. Still, I’m happy to cut the team some slack until we see the final game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was hoping for something more interesting and creative than a BSB TW3-style teleportation again, oh well.

The next most likely thing would be no fast travel at all, because the new jet pack is sufficient in terms of travel speed. Don't see anything else that would really make sense.
I'm no game designer but already when I was playing E1 I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if different factions had a different way of exploration and travel? Like the Outlaws could have super fast jetpacks, no teleporting but can take off from anywhere and land anywhere. The Zerkers would be able to set up their own limited fast travel points (think Lloyd's Beacon from M&M) and the Clerics would have a vehicle (a hovercraft?), slower and less maneuvrable than the Outlaws' jetpack but armored and armed. Plus you could travel between hubs with paid caravans or some such.

I don't know, would be hard to balance I imagine. But at least it'd be more fun.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I was hoping for something more interesting and creative than a BSB TW3-style teleportation again, oh well.

The next most likely thing would be no fast travel at all, because the new jet pack is sufficient in terms of travel speed. Don't see anything else that would really make sense.
I'm no game designer but already when I was playing E1 I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if different factions had a different way of exploration and travel? Like the Outlaws could have super fast jetpacks, no teleporting but can take off from anywhere and land anywhere. The Zerkers would be able to set up their own limited fast travel points (think Lloyd's Beacon from M&M) and the Clerics would have a vehicle (a hovercraft?), slower and less maneuvrable than the Outlaws' jetpack but armored and armed. Plus you could travel between hubs with paid caravans or some such.

I don't know, would be hard to balance I imagine. But at least it'd be more fun.

It would also make a lot more sense. I don't know if I missed it but I can't remember an explanation why Jax is seemingly the only person using teleporters. At least the albs should be able to do the same, which would mean that teleporters should be heavily guarded or destroyed but neither is the case.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
YES

JAKUSU CAN FINALLY GRAB ONTO LEDGES WHILE IN THE AIR AFTER JETPACKING

THANK YOU

That said, I'm not particularly sold on the wombat, but maybe it'll feel better in practice.

Dodo1610

Arcane
That said, I'm not particularly sold on the wombat, but maybe it'll feel better in practice.

What is different? Don't wanna watch any vids because of spoilers.

It's been completely replaced, combos are gone. ELEX 2 now uses the same heavy/light attack + parry system literally every other modern action RPG uses (Witcher/AC). + enemies can now be stunned by depleting their stamina

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

It looks more clunky to me than in the first game, and I don't like the "hold attack to charge" shtick. But maybe it just looks that way because the people playing it suck, which is a very likely possibility.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Humanoid enemies in ELEX already fall down when their stamina gets depleted, or am I making that up? Not to keen on PB getting rid of the combos, they were there from the very beginning.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

It's been completely replaced, combos are gone. ELEX 2 now uses the same heavy/light attack + parry system literally every other modern action RPG uses (Witcher/AC). + enemies can now be stunned by depleting their stamina
does it utilize deterministic hitboxes now?

The original ELEX was the best release of 2017. ELEX 2 will be the best release of 2022, in a year where both Elden Ring and Skyrim in Space are a thing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom