Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even though they completely botched the performance somehow, that RPS review has me optimistic. It's another Piranha Bytes game all right, just the way their fans like 'em.

just

Liturgist
watching some reviews on yt from people who liked the first one
it's slightly better elex1 with a new story
i mean, i dont need anything else but i can understand why journos are raging

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:hype:

elexcellence.png

Zeriel

Arcane
To be fair there were a lot of signs in the preview videos that it could be a total fucking mess. We'll see.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
If i trusted journos and their scores there'd be a lot of great games i would've missed out on.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Elex II is a prime example of great potential being suffocated by poor execution. A large world filled with quests, unique factions and interesting lore can only carry you so far when the combat is floaty, the progression is stifling, the graphics bland and its performance breaks so visibly, so often. Instead of slaying raptors with lasers, you’ll be waiting for the game to pop-in the fun while it chugs out another texture it missed.

sounds like it's gonna be both bad and run poorly :troll:

Modron

Arcane
I will buy Elex. But I will not pre-order it, and those of you who are doing so are retarded. :^)
So buying it tomorrow for 10% more money is less retarded than buying it right now? Day 1 purchasers are bigger idiots than pre-orderers.

Bah

Arcane
I will buy Elex. But I will not pre-order it, and those of you who are doing so are retarded. :^)
So buying it tomorrow for 10% more money is less retarded than buying it right now? Day 1 purchasers are bigger idiots than pre-orderers.

Nice strawman. Please point to where I said I'd be a day-one purchaser. That would also be retarded.

I never buy modern games until they've had time to be patched because business majors at game studios all force games to be released when they are way too buggy to be playable. This has been true for at least 15 years now.

Bah

Arcane
Imagine being so poor, that saving $5 is a make-or-break situation on your bank-account balance. It's not even enough money saved to buy a fast-food meal. (okay, maybe in Poland it is, I don't know).

If you're 18, and just out of high-school working your first minimum wage job, then I get it. For the rest of you, I wonder about your life choices when $5 is something to stress about.

Skdursh

Savant
Are there any reviews for this yet or is there an embargo until (arbitrary time)?
Elden Ring and Elex 2 aren't even in the same genre. I can't imagine ever playing Elden Ring -- looks like absolute shit.
They're both ARPGs. Elden Ring is great, that doesn't mean ELEX isn't also, people are allowed to like multiple things. Also, why are you autisticly yelling into the void? If your comment was meant to be a response then you failed miserably at it. Try using the "reply" feature next time.

Try not having the attention span of a gnat. The post directly before mine was about Elden Ring, and the prior page had 5 posts related to Elden Ring discussion.

Elex is the game play style of Gothic, although a bit more modern. Elden Ring is the gameplay style of of Dark Souls. The games could not be more dissimilar. Claiming they are similar because they are both "ARPGS" shows a level of understanding of role-playing games approaching the level of the average redditor.
Try using the features of the forum as they are intended to be used instead of COPEING & SEETHING like a Twitter tranny because someone pointed out your massive retardation.

Also ELEX's combat is literally inspired by the Souls stamina-management combat archetype. I am actually impressed how in denial you are concerning this.

Gothic 3 release date, October 13, 2006. Combat has a stamina system.
Dark Souls 1 release date, September 22, 2011. Combat has a stamina system.

Elex is by Piranha Bytes. Gothic is by Piranha bytes. To claim that Elex combat is modeled after Dark Souls again reveals how lacking your knowledge of RPGs is. Perhaps RPG Watch would be more your speed?
King's Field (From Software the creators of Dark Souls) - 1994. Combat with stamina management.
Gothic 3 - 2006.

Do you lose in every aspect of your life or is it just when up against me?

:mixedemotions:

Speaking of Jax, he isn’t any better. No matter what options you choose, he will be rude, angry and shouty at every opportunity. For me, this came to a head during a late game conversation with his son, Dex (who is, for the record, seven or eight years old at most) where I was presented with the option to threaten to beat him. Worse still, at least one of the companion characters will approve of that decision. Even with the general nastiness of the characters in the game, this blindsided me, forced me out of the game and away from my computer for some time.
images

no, wait, shit, it gets much better:

Cyberpunk 2077 is the game that sprang to mind while I was mulling over how to approach this review. It’s also a janky, overambitious RPG full of sweary, violent people doing horrible things to each other. The difference is that, by and large, the characters in Cyberpunk are compelling, well-rounded characters with depth and nuance. They’re frequently likeable, even caring, forcing us to deal with the contradictory aspects of human nature. Elex 2 has none of that, it’s just a game filled with deeply unpleasant people.

so any brutality is fine as long as it's done with a smile.

Bah

Arcane
Try using the features of the forum as they are intended to be used instead of COPEING & SEETHING like a Twitter tranny because someone pointed out your massive retardation.

Also ELEX's combat is literally inspired by the Souls stamina-management combat archetype. I am actually impressed how in denial you are concerning this.

Elex is by Piranha Bytes. Gothic is by Piranha bytes. To claim that Elex combat is modeled after Dark Souls again reveals how lacking your knowledge of RPGs is. Perhaps RPG Watch would be more your speed?
King's Field (From Software the creators of Dark Souls) - 1994. Combat with stamina management.
Gothic 3 - 2006.

Your argument is non-sensical. That only means that Dark Souls combat is based on King's Field combat. It has nothing to do with Elex combat being based on Dark Souls, and if you had ever seriously played either Gothic/Elex or King's Field/Dark Souls, then you would understand this. The combat in the games only has the most peripheral of similarities given that both combat systems are real-time.

Dark Souls combat is very twitch based, and your stats/skills are not as important as your ability to twitch with a controller.

Elex is the anti-thesis of this, with combat power being very much stat/skill based.

That's not to say that Dark Souls combat doesn't have any affect from stats/skills and that Elex combat doesn't have any twitch/reflex aspect.

But it DOES mean that the combat systems in these two games have fundamentally different basis, and as a result they are fundamentally different games.

Skdursh

Savant

Gothic 3 - 2006.

Your argument is non-sensical. That only means that Dark Souls combat is based on King's Field combat. It has nothing to do with Elex combat being based on Dark Souls, and if you had ever seriously played either Gothic/Elex or King's Field/Dark Souls, then you would understand this. The combat in the games only has the most peripheral of similarities given that both combat systems are real-time.

Dark Souls combat is very twitch based, and your stats/skills are not as important as your ability to twitch with a controller.

Elex is the anti-thesis of this, with combat power being very much stat/skill based.

That's not to say that Dark Souls combat doesn't have any affect from stats/skills and that Elex combat doesn't have any twitch/reflex aspect.

But it DOES mean that the combat systems in these two games have fundamentally different basis, and as a result they are fundamentally different games.
I've played literally every Piranha Bytes games. You're just a seething faggot that can't accept that people can like multiple things. You also can't seem to come to terms with the fact that ELEX/Gothic and Elden Ring/Dark Souls share a lot of the same philosophical DNA. Evidenced by the fact that you don't even realize that the Souls games have stat evolution that can dramatically affect the game too, the only real difference being that in Souls games it's possible to get by with base stats if you are skilled enough, whereas in ELEX you can do the same, but only by abusing broken mechanics, but I really don't get why you think this is a positive edge toward ELEX. Get rekt.

Last edited:

Bah

Arcane
I've played literally every Piranha Bytes games. You're just a seething faggot that can't accept that people can like multiple things. You also can't seem to come to terms with the fact that ELEX/Gothic and Elden Ring/Dark Souls share a lot of the same philosophical DNA. Evidenced by the fact that you don't even realize that the Souls games have stat evolution that can dramatically affect the game too, the only real difference being that in Souls games it's possible to get by with base stats if you are skilled enough, whereas in ELEX you can do the same, but only by abusing broken mechanics, but I really don't get why you think this is a positive edge toward ELEX. Get rekt.

So this whole argument started from people saying that Piranha Byte was dumb for releasing Elex 2 so close to Elden Ring.

I consider this a silly argument, because it pre-supposes that a fan of Elex is not going to buy Elex 2 because they:

a) spent all their money on Elden Ring
b) Are too busy playing Elden Ring, therefore they will never play Elex 2

My counter argument is that most fans of Elex are NOT fans of Elden Ring because they already despise the game style of Dark Souls and recognize that Elden RIng is in the genre of Dark Souls games. This is not an argument that someone can't like both genres, but I suspect that the majority of Elex/Gothic/Piranah Byte fans are NOT fans of the Dark Souls genre.

I do not consider Dark Souls an RPG. I do not consider Elden Ring an RPG. They both threw away too many components of an RPG to qualify in that genre. I also do not consider Dark Messiah of Might and Magic an RPG for the same reason.

These are just action games with stats/skills.

Mauman

Learned
You know, I find it amusing that so many "game reviewers" focus on the stability of the game, when Elden Ring has the same issues and call it "MUST BUY". It's Cyberpunk 2077 all over again.

And yeah, that RPS review is as much a joke as the "reviewer" itself.

Then again, RPS IS a joke in general. A reminder to all, they're the same group of talentless shitbags that thought Underrail was a bad game.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher

So this whole argument started from people saying that Piranha Byte was dumb for releasing Elex 2 so close to Elden Ring.

I consider this a silly argument, because it pre-supposes that a fan of Elex is not going to buy Elex 2 because they:

My counter argument is that most fans of Elex are NOT fans of Elden Ring because they already despise the game style of Dark Souls and recognize that Elden RIng is in the genre of Dark Souls games. This is not an argument that someone can't like both genres, but I suspect that the majority of Elex/Gothic/Piranah Byte fans are NOT fans of the Dark Souls genre.

I do not consider Dark Souls an RPG. I do not consider Elden Ring an RPG. They both threw away too many components of an RPG to qualify in that genre. I also do not consider Dark Messiah of Might and Magic an RPG for the same reason.

why do you even bother. just let people think elden ring is good rpg and play that

Skdursh

Savant

The issue though is not that the games are trying to achieve the same goals or that they are even in the same genre (although I'd argue they both still fall under the general purview of "ARPG"), that doesn't really matter. I've already bought ELEX II and I think that most people who have been following Piranha Bytes for a long time have as well, but putting it on sale directly following Elden Ring, same core audience or not, is absolutely bound to overshadow ELEX II and keep the game from being noticed by potential new players. This absolutely can affect total sales and there is historic precedence of this effect from the many, many other indie and AA developers that saw weak sales in the shadow of a well-publicized AAA release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom