Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Holy shit, another retard. How convenient that you completely ignore my other comment as you are just absolutely determined to revel in your spergery. From Software released King's Field in 1994, their first ARPG with stamina-management. Following that was King's Field II, III, IV, Shadow Tower, Shadow Tower Abyss and 11 Armored Core games, all with stamina-management and each building upon the formula with each successive release. Regardless, to even pretend like there isn't a world of difference between Gothic 3's combat and ELEX's just shows how disingenuous you are. When compared side-by-side the combat in Gothic 3 versus ELEX are worlds apart. Gothic 3 is spam left-click or use magic with a stamina system that barely registers. ELEX took the Dark Souls-style stamina management that forces you to control your button mashing, the dodge rolls with i-frames, the slow methodical skill-based combat (though ELEX harbors a janky interpretation of it) and general overall combat ethos. No, the games are not exactly the same and I never insinuated they were, but the overall combat is highly derivative of Dark Souls. It is indisputable that ELEX looked specifically upon the Dark Souls series (of which Dark Souls 1+2+3, Bloodborne and Demon's Souls all released before ELEX) as a source of inspiration due to their extreme popularity not to mention the fact that there is fucking Dark Souls easter egg in ELEX as I previously shared.
I hadn't seen your previous comment.

I'll have to hand it to you, now that you've summarized your arguments, PB might have been inspired by Dark Souls for their combat design post-G2. I don't think the easter egg is a relevant argument, but the rest is.

I have to say, though, that it is sad they didn't maintain their combat design direction from Gothic 1-2, and chose instead to be derivative if your claim is right. They had something much more interesting there than stamina-based gameplay, with choosing your swings' direction, animations improving with training, etc. I think they couldn't manage making an intuitive control scheme for it (though I'm one of the rare exception that really likes G1's controls), so they moved on from it.

Murk

Arcane
So the camera zoom is a huge issue for me.

I can edit the FOV from the .ini but the camera's proximity to Jax is driving me nuts. Anyone figured out how to get it to be as far back as when you sprint?

Used to be just scroll mouse wheel like in every other friggin PB game but it's gone. what to heck man.

Codex Year of the Donut
I tried playing it some more and I can't say I'm enjoying it. Guess I'll shelve it and see if thq Nordic makes them put out major patches.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
only 1/3 concurrent players compared to ELEX 1

RIP. they reallu should have delayed this game

I am not sure if PB needs to worry about fast sales, they are in a niche and those who like the Jank are going to buy it anyways.

I have opted for Elden Ring and Triangle Strategy this month but will buy Elex 2 directly after that. IF the game is decent they will get their sales.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I didn't understand what was going on at all in the intro btw
so there I am, stealthing along like Jax suggested I should because he constantly talks to himself... then suddenly, BAM CUTSCENE I'm running away from some glowy aliens
:avatard:
it was even better for me, jaxxx made that comment when I was exploring mountains and there were no enemies anywhere

Codex Year of the Donut
I didn't understand what was going on at all in the intro btw
so there I am, stealthing along like Jax suggested I should because he constantly talks to himself... then suddenly, BAM CUTSCENE I'm running away from some glowy aliens
:avatard:
it was even better for me, jaxxx made that comment when I was exploring mountains and there were no enemies anywhere
same, I went east first after checking my map and seeing it was a dead end. He said it was a good idea to stealth because there's enemies nearby or something, I did, and couldn't find them. Kept stealthing forward for a bit, cutscene where I'm being chased by aliens.
I had no idea wtf was going on :lol:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Did they scale down the world but made it feel more handcrafted? Is stuff like pickpocket dialogues or skill learning dialogues back? Is the economy still about looting 1/2gp trash? Is the enemy placement still largely random?

I've seen they made stats matter and changed UI so that it gives some basic info, which were definitely sorely needed changes. Other than that, it just looks like E1 + the aerial combat which really doesn't look like something I want to be doing.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man this camera is downright awful no excuse. The combat and movement is actually better but it's so zoomed it and the camera feels like it's moving along with jax awkwardly and it's too near you can't make sense of stuff.

Piranha bruh

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
same, I went east first after checking my map and seeing it was a dead end. He said it was a good idea to stealth because there's enemies nearby or something, I did, and couldn't find them. Kept stealthing forward for a bit, cutscene where I'm being chased by aliens.
I had no idea wtf was going on :lol:

I saw the aliens he talked about, but it was still very jarring. Stealth message came up, I swung around to the right since there were a cliff there, thinking it's the perfect place to sneak around, and within a millisecond reaching the cliff the cutscene starts playing. Such a disconnect too, since I would have actually stealthed passed them.

I read this is not the only cutscene that suddenly starts playing and warps you around. No idea why this shit was needed.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Unpleasant! https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/elex-2-review

Elex 2 review: a bonkers RPG hampered by unpleasant characters
Review by Caelyn EllisContributor
Published on 28 Feb, 2022

Twatter Bio of Ellis:

️‍⚧️️‍ Huge fan of tiny giant robots. Freelance journo, bylines @rockpapershot @eurogamer, @joindicebreaker. Disabled and fat. Leftie. She/Her

iu

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Looking at the steam numbers, and at the complete lack of interest in either the PS5 or Xbox subs, PB managed to kill off another one of their franchises. Dont think there is any coming back from this... until they announce that they are making yet another sucessor to Gothic.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No marketing, close to a game in the same genre. PB games already are niche games. Not amazing reviews.

It was written on the wall.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
so umm
is it just me, or does the game look worse than elex?

Looks worse and performs worse. The original wasn't awfully optimised at release, nor do I remember it being this crash happy.

Regardless, the actual gameplay seems to be an improvement over the first game.

Codex Year of the Donut
The blame for the lack of & poor marketing falls squarely at the feet of THQ Nordic.
The bit of marketing material there is focuses too much on the fantastical parts. If you want an example of how to shill your game to the potential audience correctly, look at Outerworlds. They went full out with the modern Fallout fan pandering in their marketing material.
Really has nothing to do with the quality or content of the game itself, Outerworlds is terrible and it's even less like Bethesda Fallouts than ELEX is. They should have been shilling the theme.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Quick impreshuns after like an hour:

1. The start/intro feels much less cool and much less focused than the start in ELEX.
2. After killing some scrub-tier munsters with the extreme effort of mashing LMB until they died, I can only wonder wtf are the people who say this combat is improved compared to ELEX are smoking. It's a gigantic step back to the times of Gothic 3.
3. Climbing ledges after jetpackung is very welcome but so far very clunky.
4. Jetpack feels more responsive.
5. It boggles my mind that they thought the mole people effect had to be introduced OUTDOORS AS WELL.
6. The camera is obnoxious but I am slowly getting used to it.
7. Game crashed once when I tried to open inventory.
8. Performance leaves a lot to be desired.

idk men

Codex Year of the Donut
It feels much more floaty though, like I press attack and Jax automatically closes the gap like you'd see in Arkham games and such. I was having trouble getting used to it.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Quick impreshuns after like an hour:

1. The start/intro feels much less cool and much less focused than the start in ELEX.
2. After killing some scrub-tier munsters with the extreme effort of mashing LMB until they died, I can only wonder wtf are the people who say this combat is improved compared to ELEX are smoking. It's a gigantic step back to the times of Gothic 3.
3. Climbing ledges after jetpackung is very welcome but so far very clunky.
4. Jetpack feels more responsive.
5. It boggles my mind that they thought the mole people effect had to be introduced OUTDOORS AS WELL.
6. The camera is obnoxious but I am slowly getting used to it.
7. Game crashed once when I tried to open inventory.
8. Performance leaves a lot to be desired.

idk men
i play pirated version and not one crash so far, after like 12 hours.
maybe it's the right way to play it.
i did have some graphical glitches, but none more after updating the graphics driver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom