Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah, you're right. I was there trying out Citra builds since the early days and I remember the huge increases in performances along the way. Complete opposite of RPCS3 which has stalled for almost 2 years now with no real progress in terms of game performance.

Currently eyeing Xenia builds like a hawk as I want to play Lost Odyssey at 2x resolution ^_^

Perkel

Arcane
RPCS3 did improve a lot in past 2 years. Mostly compatibility with various games and they got variable framerates working in a lot of games. You can now play Deamon's Souls in 60fps or 120 if you like and have power.

RPCS3 performance is kind of special because there is clear cutoff when it comes to CPUs where below that line you can't expect almost any improvements.
My old i5-3570K was like that it doesn't have AVX and some instructions so almost all performance improvements didn't translate to it.

Going back to Yuzu. Things are getting crazy. support staff is posting videos and screenshots of games running normally capped games at 30fps as locked 60fps via unlock mods. Whatever they are cooking will be epic when it comes to performance gains.

here is Astral Chains running rock solid 60fps on yuzu with prometheus update which is in developement:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/402001453381713920/703299382992437310/KgnyjRgB2L.mp4

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
on a whim decided to see if either of the two Xbox Original emulators are usable but no joy.

- tried XQemu with conker - live and reloaded and couldn't get it to display anything, just hanged/crashed.

- tried cxbx-reloaded and it booted up fine and even had sound working and it was full-speed but no visuals, only a black screen. Oh, with Conker - Live and Reloaded once again.

I present you the most demanding area from switch version of game running in yuzu. As you can see it runs at 100% speed with his 8700k@5Ghz and Zelda is one of the most demanding titles on switch.

WiiU title is one of the most demanding Switch games?

Since I'm interested mainly in Shin Megami Tensei V I am curious if there are any other Unreal Engine 4 that already run nicely on Yuzu?

lightbane

Arcane
Hey guys, I require help of the Kodex's Kreative Komitté regarding emulation. I was planning to play the Metroid Prime trilogy through the Primehack thing. I made a few quick-runs to see if it works and so far it seems to do so perfectly, with a few graphical glitches that according to what I read is due using save-states. Does that mean you cannot use save-states with Primehack? Another issue I noticed is that the game's starting video lacks the voice-over that should be there for some reason. That seems to be another bug of sorts somewhat known, but no idea how to address it, if possible. I think the game also shows graphical errors while showing up the map. So far I only tested MP 1 though, no idea with the others.

Also, what is the recommended way to play it according to you, gentlemen? I have a powerful computer, so I can tune up the graphics a little.
Lastly, what do you recommend to do with the control schemes to make it better for a left-handed user, as that's my case?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Additional note on emulating DOS games:

OP recommends PCem for emulating Windows gaming environment, but it can also be useful to get more accurate DOS game emulation.

Ultima 7 runs like it should, which is a big deal, but the biggest benefit of using PCem is excellent support for joysticks. Joysticks work right out the box with DOSBOX, but you get lots of issues with games tied to CPU speed (notably, Wing Commander 1). PCem is WAY better than DOSBOX here, every game I've thrown at it (Wing Commander 1, Red Baron, Xwing) works flawlessly with a joystick, no lag, no dead zone, just fantastic.

Another benefit of PCem is that it offers better OPL emulation for adlib/soundblaster music, at least compared with vanilla DOSBOX.

[Edit] Confirmed also that Wing Commander Privateer works fine with joystick in PCem, whereas in DOSBOX it's been unplayable with high end joysticks due to massive deadzone.

Thanks for the info, I have to check this out

newtmonkey

Arcane
Thanks for the info, I have to check this out

There are a couple quirks.

1) It fully emulates the PC you select, so you need to do everything from scratch, from selecting the type of PC (CPU, memory, sound card etc) to installing DOS, etc. I'd recommend setting up a 386/33, 486/33 (can be easily switched to 66MHz if needed), and P133. This will let you run pretty much every single DOS game except old boot loaders at the correct speeds.

2) I had some issues with my mouse at first (very jerky movement), but setting it to 400 DPI fixed it. Another option that works is to get an old PS/2 mouse with PS/2 to USB adapter; I've verified this works also. You will probably have to modify the horizontal/vertical resolution using the Microsoft mouse driver in DOS or the mouse will end up being more sensitive on the horizontal axis due to 320x200 resolution.

spekkio

Arcane
lightbane

I've completed Prime 1 with gamepad, as God intended. :obviously:

Don't remember having any serious issues.

the game's starting video lacks the voice-over that should be there for some reason
I didn't even know about this FMV missing voice-over. I just thought it was weirdly "minimalistic". :lol:

lightbane

Arcane
I've completed Prime 1 with gamepad, as God intended.
Hm, I have a PS3 controller which I used to play AMR2, funnily enough. I suppose it could be compatible here, but FPS were not meant to be played with pads.

Don't remember having any serious issues.

What about using save-states then? What was your config like?

didn't even know about this FMV missing voice-over. I just thought it was weirdly "minimalistic"
Yep, the intro is missing voices. I believe the game has an outro video, no idea if that one is missing voices as well. What about the other two Prime games?

spekkio

Arcane
but FPS were not meant to be played with pads.
Except the "console FPS" games, which were developed with pad as a primary control device. You will need more than 2 mouse buttons in this game, believe me (for targeting & shooting - related stuff I mean).

What about using save-states then? What was your config like?
I don't remember having issues with save states. And you know I'm a savescumming whore. Was using more or less default config.

Nothing on the game compatibility page too, maybe you are just unlucky?

What about the other two Prime games
Haven't played them yet. But I remember that 3 was totally unplayable with k+m without Primehack (mouse movement was "accelerated" the way Nunchuck or how that shit was called worked).

tl;dr

Maybe try MP1 with recent Dolphin build and gamepad and check if the problems are present there too?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Except the "console FPS" games, which were developed with pad as a primary control device.
Well, okay then. I remembered Timesplitters was a thing and were actually good games. I was thinking about Halo and how it introduced the decline. *Shudders* But that's not the thing here.
About that, did you play MP1 with Primehack, or regular Dolphin emulator? If I try a pad, would I have to configure the whole thing, or does the latest build include default configs?

Haven't played them yet. But I remember that 3 was totally unplayable with k+m without Primehack (mouse movement was "accelerated" the way Nunchuck or how that shit was called worked).

Yeah, it has to be emulated due the whole movement thingy. I suppose that with a Dual Shock pad, you can instead use one of the sticks for said movements, right? I still have to test it further and these days I'm unable to do so.

Some versions of Metroid Prime have the voice-over during the intro, and others don't.

More info here:

http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/mprime/versions.php

Thanks! That explains a lot! It seems the Trilogy re-edition included new changes, such as removing the voice-acting in some sections, such as the intro and outro for some reason, and making the game easier, but more shiny visually. Typical trade-off.

And to think the Metroid franchise was effectively murdered with Other M and Federation Force. :negative:

spekkio

Arcane
lightbane said:
Did you play MP1 with Primehack, or regular Dolphin emulator?
Regular Dolhpin + Dual Shock 2 (via USB converter). :obviously:

lightbane said:
If I try a pad, would I have to configure the whole thing, or does the latest build include default configs?
Hesus, mang. It's not a Wiimote + Nunchuck, configuring GC pad takes like 30 seconds:

abjk1Yu.png

lightbane said:
Yeah, it has to be emulated due the whole movement thingy. I suppose that with a Dual Shock pad, you can instead use one of the sticks for said movements, right?
Problem is, Wiimote works as a "pointing" device (AFAIK) (cursor goes where the "red dot" goes), while analog pad works differently (amount of deflection from the "center"). Try it and you will know what I mean (camera movement feels awkward AF with a gamepad in MP3).

Is Demon Souls fully playable yet? I have a ryzen 2600 what can i expect with that?
\

On the very same processor I was able to run Persona 5 with full speed, even something as demanding as God of War 3 were a little bit choppy but playable so DS should be ok.

Vulkan gives better results than OpenGL if you have AMD card.

Sentinel

Arcane
Is anyone aware of a site that has tons of save data for different games? I need save data for FFIX PSX with all (possible) chocographs unlocked (but not collected). Preferably divided by disc 2 and disc 3/4.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah I know but I can only find 100% complete pre-final boss saves with all shit collected there, hence the question.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i downloaded a game save once off a really shady looking site but i don't remember the url. i'll post it if i find it again

Perkel

Arcane
Yuzu multicore update released. It will be in early access for a week then it will go public.
Basically now you can have old 4xxx intel i5 and you will play full speed most of games.
Witch something better you can go for 60fps mods.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom