Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Puukko

Arcane
CEMU now supports multicore for XCX which should boost performance by quite a lot.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Does anybody know if it's possible in RetroArch on Android to make the status bar not disappear when you launch a game?
Also I'm baffled as to the sucky performance in the GBA cores, mGBA seems to be the only one able to run certain games at 60fps, but being able to provide just that is not sufficient for fast forward to work properly, which is such a nice feature to have when playing tactics/strategy games. My cell phone model is Xiaomi Redmi Note 3.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
https://www.patreon.com/posts/animal-crossing-35196813

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Preview Build Release

1.png

Since our last announcement on Twitter about the game working on Ryujinx, we’ve been hard at work to give you a way to play it.

After a lot of discussion internally, we have decided to release a Preview Build that runs Animal Crossing: New Horizons so you can take a look at the progress we have made so far. The build can run both version 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 of the game.

[...]

How does it run?
As you can see from these screenshots, the game runs relatively well, between 15-30 FPS on a good Laptop.

As far as graphical glitches goes, there are a few, like the grass being the wrong color sometimes, and some missing light effects. Other than that, the game looks almost perfect, and we will work hard to make it look even better in the following weeks!

Impressive.

Puukko

Arcane
Haven't tried it, seems to be a bit behind Yuzu but also has some advantages, mainly in XC2. Still not really playable though.

I gave Xenia a brief go to get a feel for it. First impressions - the UI is about as barebones as it gets, and you need to fiddle with inis to get it going. Lost Odyssey seems playable though not perfect - the camera would do quick 720 flips on attack, there were serious audio issues in some scenes and it did crash on me eventually. I was surprised how demanding it was graphically - 720p60 caused my 1070 to hit 100% load, and 3770k about 70% load (30 fps was ~50%) while 1440p (it only supports integer scaling of either 1x or 2x native res) would give me just over 20 fps, sheesh. But it was a fun experiment, I'll get back to it once the emu has matured more.

I also returned to RPCS3 with Drakengard 3 which indeed can run much better than it does on native hardware, though not only did I not manage to get the 60 fps patch working, but my CPU was already hitting ~80% at 30 fps so I'd probably only get 40 fps on a sunny day even with the patch working. This was on 1440p - RPCS3 seems to handle higher resolutions just about how you'd expect.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ITS BEEN STALLED A WHILE BUT HERE IS MY EMULATION CAB GUI

BIGGEST FIX IS MAPPING THE CONTROLS KX ALL ARCADE GAMEA AND GETTING MISSING ART

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just checking the official compatibility list for Ryujinx shows that 90% of games don't boot or just manage to get "in-game." Wouldn't even bother with it in its present form.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Additional note on emulating DOS games:

OP recommends PCem for emulating Windows gaming environment, but it can also be useful to get more accurate DOS game emulation.

Ultima 7 runs like it should, which is a big deal, but the biggest benefit of using PCem is excellent support for joysticks. Joysticks work right out the box with DOSBOX, but you get lots of issues with games tied to CPU speed (notably, Wing Commander 1). PCem is WAY better than DOSBOX here, every game I've thrown at it (Wing Commander 1, Red Baron, Xwing) works flawlessly with a joystick, no lag, no dead zone, just fantastic.

Another benefit of PCem is that it offers better OPL emulation for adlib/soundblaster music, at least compared with vanilla DOSBOX.

[Edit] Confirmed also that Wing Commander Privateer works fine with joystick in PCem, whereas in DOSBOX it's been unplayable with high end joysticks due to massive deadzone.

Last edited:

Twizman

Scholar
I was so excited when someone uploaded a video with the Adlib Soundblaster Day of the Tentacle soundtrack recently.

Perkel

Arcane
Yuzu news.

1. They lowered memory footprint in latest update by huge amount. Some games by 50%. Almost every game by 20-30%.

2. The bigger news is that there is "Prometheus" update on horizon. It will add multicore support finally which means fucking huge boost to FPS. BSOD said that he got screenshot of some game and in this game case FPS went from 20fps to 60fps locked. Apparently this update is almost finished and they are preparing official git repo for it atm. No ETA though.

3. Animal Crossing now works on Yuzu but it has graphical bugs, Smash now works and it is completely playable if you have good cpu.

CEMU now supports multicore for XCX which should boost performance by quite a lot.

It did. Though i can't get tree-core recompiler to work properly as it stutters like crazy under vulcan and opengl. Only dual core recompiler under opengl works great. I went from 45ish to locked 60fps in most of places with some drops in more busy areas.
Also CEMU got an update. It no longer requires cemuhook to play games at speed.

I played a bit again it but then i remembered how fucked up sidequests are in this game and kind of put it down again. Reason ? Because again i took some sidequest and it again wanted me to fetch specific 2 things. 1 random loot can only be found in one area north of city on beach and it is super rare (despite being "common") second one is drop from one of mechanical enemies near that first enemy base. Naturally there are like only 2 mechanical enemies near you level in that base so you have reload constantly map. After 4 fucking hours i just gave up leaving me only 1 shit to find. Naturally you can't abandon quest so you are stuck if you can't find it for god who knows how many hours. Without gamefaq i wouldn't even know where to look for this shit. Amazing design.. NOT!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shit like that is what killed my desire to play Xenoblade Chronicles to completion. Although, it may not have been as bad as XCX.

Perkel

Arcane
Shit like that is what killed my desire to play Xenoblade Chronicles to completion. Although, it may not have been as bad as XCX.

I am talking about XCX not XC. XC fetch quests were annoying but they never locked you out of just ignoring them and moving with story. In XCX you literally take sidequest and you can't do anything other than it, you have to finish it or you can't continue story or do somethign else. And it usually gives you really fucked up thing to do. Like find some coil. Where to find it ? Is it drop ? Maybe it requires weather ? Nope nada. Some garbage talk and off you go. Maybe you will find it in next 10-20 hours somewhere on those few continents and even if you will be lucky to find right place it can be rare so you will just pass that place you were in for 2 hours because not even one thing you need dropped there.

Game is just fucked. XC was one of better JRPGs. I like XCX premise and story so far but those fetch quests are worse than everything i have ever seen. IF they would be like XC where you could just do in on the side and give them later as you just play game then it would be great but here is just game breaking garbage.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
XCX is bad. In terms of fundamental combat mechanics it's an improvement over XC 1, but in terms of everything else it's worse.

Puukko

Arcane
I liked both for different reasons, the weaker story and how it was structured to be basically second to the side content was my main gripe with XCX.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I am talking about XCX not XC. XC fetch quests were annoying but they never locked you out of just ignoring them and moving with story. In XCX you literally take sidequest and you can't do anything other than it, you have to finish it or you can't continue story or do somethign else. And it usually gives you really fucked up thing to do. Like find some coil. Where to find it ? Is it drop ? Maybe it requires weather ? Nope nada. Some garbage talk and off you go. Maybe you will find it in next 10-20 hours somewhere on those few continents and even if you will be lucky to find right place it can be rare so you will just pass that place you were in for 2 hours because not even one thing you need dropped there.

Game is just fucked. XC was one of better JRPGs. I like XCX premise and story so far but those fetch quests are worse than everything i have ever seen. IF they would be like XC where you could just do in on the side and give them later as you just play game then it would be great but here is just game breaking garbage.

Again, that's not true.

Fetch quests don't lock you out of story quests. You can't accept multiple story/companion quests and that's about it. Fetch quests and even normal missions can be accepted at will alongside a story mission. Though, to be honest whenever I see you write about XCX I'm wondering if we played a different game.

Perkel

Arcane
Yuzu news. BSOD shared some screenshots from his dev prometheus build of Yuzu. I present you the most demanding area from switch version of game running in yuzu. As you can see it runs at 100% speed with his 8700k@5Ghz and Zelda is one of the most demanding titles on switch.

That update is almost ready to be released. Basically when they will release it most of games will be playable if they show graphics correctly. Only thing that will stop most of games from running will be either locks or graphical glithes.

They also in last few days release update to Yuzu not related to prometheus update that also increased A LOT performance and reduced a lot ram usage. Previously in Super Mario Oddysey on my Ryzen3600 i had 70% speed now it is locked 100% and many games run 20-30% faster now.

BOTW_3.PNG

Perkel

Arcane
And comparison:

Early Access version (with extra perf compared to what is available now for everyone)

47% speed
EA.PNG

Prometheus update:

100% speed
Monika.PNG

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
anyone tried xenoblade 2 on the new prometheus build? I assume it'll be one of the ones that can't run because it doesn't emulate graphics fully.

Perkel

Arcane
anyone tried xenoblade 2 on the new prometheus build? I assume it'll be one of the ones that can't run because it doesn't emulate graphics fully.

On current build it works about 50-60% speed but graphics are glitched out due to inversion bug. I assume with prometheus update on something like ryzen3600 it will run at 100% speed but until glitches are fixed it is not exactly playabe as you won't be able to see shit.

Though devs might fix it pretty soon. It was not huge issue before because XC2 was working really slow and there was no point in wasting time fixing glitches. Now it will work 100% then there is huge point to get it working properly.

Perkel

Arcane
woah, i that 100% speed screenshot i posted has 45fps framerate. I talked with BSOD and he unlocked framerate above frame cap of game which is 30fps. Which means it is not 100% but 145%...

So from 40% to 145% with that update. If everything goes right this should be similar update to that from Citra which effectively tripled performance for all games and made basically citra play all 3DS games at full speed if you had decent hardware.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
which effectively tripled performance for all games and made basically citra play all 3DS games at full speed if you had decent hardware.

I used to think Citra was at that point as well, but a few days ago I tried out Legend of Legacy (ex-SaGa devs) game on Citra and to my surprise there were random slow-downs during heavy effects and/or for no reason. Weird. Looked up the compatablity chart and apparently it's rated as "Playable/good" instead of "Great" or "Perfect".

Mind you this is just pure nitpicking as it's completely playable on my i5 8400, I was just surprised to encouter even minor problems on a title considering how good Citra has become.

Perkel

Arcane
which effectively tripled performance for all games and made basically citra play all 3DS games at full speed if you had decent hardware.

I used to think Citra was at that point as well, but a few days ago I tried out Legend of Legacy (ex-SaGa devs) game on Citra and to my surprise there were random slow-downs during heavy effects and/or for no reason. Weird. Looked up the compatablity chart and apparently it's rated as "Playable/good" instead of "Great" or "Perfect".

Mind you this is just pure nitpicking as it's completely playable on my i5 8400, I was just surprised to encouter even minor problems on a title considering how good Citra has become.

I mean there always will be edge cases but that patch effectively took Citra from unplayable with most of games into great/perfect for most of games as long as you had decent hardware.

I sitll remember trying out Etrian Oddysey 5 and having huge framedrops when i was exploring maps and performance hovering at 70%. Then patch comes out and voila 100% speed and no slowdowns at all. Overnight literally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom